JeffSpicoli

Got the last Frog kit - Tamiya kit shortages.

What paint can I use on the rollbars of the polycarbonate body?  I'm going to brush that in.   I don't think I can use the Tamiya XF acrylics, even though technically it'll be layered over with the PS paint after I'm done painting in the details.

I need some black I can brush in there for those rollbars around the driver.

BigT used to make PS paints in jars but no more. Hangar18 has Parma paints in bottles so you can use that. Or you can spray Tamiya PS into a paper cup and brush on…

• Like 1

Btw the spray in cup method is wasteful. I’ve done it a few times to do touch ups, but it seems a lot shoots off or paints the cup leaving you a small puddle at the bottom to use with a brush…

Parma makes a good paint, though I have never used it. One of my BF bodies was painted by a pro in South Carolina with Parma and it looks great.  I wish I still had his contact info…

Years ago I used Testors enamel to paint portions of my OG Ftog body.  It’s what poor 14yo kids do.  And it worked!

Also, the manager at Ho-B RC at Triangle Town Center will custom paint for you at a price…

Terry

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Years ago I used Testors enamel to paint portions of my OG Ftog body.  It’s what poor 14yo kids do.  And it worked!

I’ve used Humbrol Enamel to with great success on my Blitzer (my first Lexan shell & pre joining TC!!)

D3DF5863-2385-4AF8-9D40-4167A07FD1F2.jpg

The Black & Silver on the Roll Cage and front grille is Humbrol Enamel. 
I painted that on first, it took a couple of coats to cover then  left it for a good week to dry out. You could use a Matt Paint as would dry quicker and still look glossy on the seen side through the Lexan.  I then just dust coated the PS Blue over all the inside.

If in doubt just try it on an off cut or a clear plastic water bottle first. 

• Like 1

I will probably pick up some Parma paint. I’m anxious to get going on this! I’ve got a pretty nice idea in mind for the body.  I wish I woulda realized how stocked Legacy Hobby was, they had 4 or 5 MIP diffs!  In stock on the peg hook! The amount of Tamiya goods was incredible.   For a local shop to have these par levels for parts and accessories is almost unheard of. The guy at the counter did not say a word while I was there. I’ll be going back for the Tamiya Craft Tool kit.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 2:30 AM, Re-Bugged said:

I’ve used Humbrol Enamel to with great success on my Blitzer (my first Lexan shell & pre joining TC!!)

D3DF5863-2385-4AF8-9D40-4167A07FD1F2.jpg

The Black & Silver on the Roll Cage and front grille is Humbrol Enamel. 
I painted that on first, it took a couple of coats to cover then  left it for a good week to dry out. You could use a Matt Paint as would dry quicker and still look glossy on the seen side through the Lexan.  I then just dust coated the PS Blue over all the inside.

If in doubt just try it on an off cut or a clear plastic water bottle first. 

I might paint over the final paint with a white or black layer to accent the base coats I haven’t decided yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I wish I woulda realized how stocked Legacy Hobby was, they had 4 or 5 MIP diffs!  In stock on the peg hook! The amount of Tamiya goods was incredible.

Yeah I love that place. I found it about a week after I bought and received a Fire Dragon from RCMart. All I had to do was drive down the road and I could have gotten one off the shelf!  Who knew?!?

Terry

• Like 1

I remember how much I hate assembling the ORV gearbox tho the MIP makes things a little simpler.   I need to make a Lowes run.  Xacto, needlenose, Craftsman electric screwdriver.  Really hoping to find a NOS Futaba Sport or Jr on eBay.  I really don’t want to buy a 3PV they just feel so **** cheap.  

Still havent decided if I’m going blue over pink or pink over blue with my paint scheme. Plan on doing a 2 tone with the roof the same color as the stripe. 

F97CF6C8-90FF-43EF-92EE-182B24266E7A.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 9:00 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

I remember how much I hate assembling the ORV gearbox tho the MIP makes things a little simpler.   I need to make a Lowes run.  Xacto, needlenose, Craftsman electric screwdriver.  Really hoping to find a NOS Futaba Sport or Jr on eBay.  I really don’t want to buy a 3PV they just feel so **** cheap.  

Still havent decided if I’m going blue over pink or pink over blue with my paint scheme. Plan on doing a 2 tone with the roof the same color as the stripe. 

F97CF6C8-90FF-43EF-92EE-182B24266E7A.jpeg

This is the picture I see in my mind when I think back to working on my Frog as a youngster :D except mine was a hand-me-down and never looked that shiny! (or had that much tread on its tires)

1 hour ago, El Gecko said:

This is the picture I see in my mind when I think back to working on my Frog as a youngster :D except mine was a hand-me-down and never looked that shiny! (or had that much tread on its tires)

Trust me when I was a teenager I bought a used Frog and now I'm trying to relive those days :P

Scored my grail tires on eBay yesterday.   

When I got my used Frog as a kid, it had these mounted on the back, most of the driving we did was on the streets.  Looking forward to mounting these up! 

Proline needs to make these again.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

I just realized, 30 years later, the one nostril on the Frog body is bigger and slightly different than the right one.  Bizarre!  I always assumed it was completely symmetrical.

1 hour ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I just realized, 30 years later, the one nostril on the Frog body is bigger and slightly different than the right one.  Bizarre!  I always assumed it was completely symmetrical.

:lol: I wouldn't know... mine has never had a body! (just a driver figure)

Totally agree with you about those tires btw... I still have my original set! But they're pretty much toast these days, so it would be awesome if somebody started making new ones, even if it's not Pro-Line themselves.

• Like 1

Those Proline Waffles will look nice on the shiny rims!

Also, look for vintage Duratrax 41xx series tires. Those will also fit the Frog wheels.

Terry

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:36 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

Proline needs to make these again.

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

Also, look for vintage Duratrax 41xx series tires. Those will also fit the Frog wheels.

Terry

Are these tires currently produced or only new old stock?

Really torn on trying mask or using tape on these nostrils - But I think I’m gonna try mask…. If I blow it, I guess I’ll buy another body.   Fingers crossed.  I am just going to do a spritzed effect in these areas anyways.  But I still want clean lines around the edges.  I might overpaint the mask and xacto it. 

07A5E144-FCDF-4A56-8C4E-E4830E018E4D.jpeg

• Like 1

Sweatin the small stuff.  Gotta make a run for flesh paint for the driver’s face.  Helmet will be a mix of rubber black and pink.  KC daylighters have rubber black housings.  Need to get yellow for the front.  

4EE57547-6AAD-427C-91EA-3674DBBB1D10.jpeg

On 7/16/2021 at 1:44 PM, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

I can't find these tires online at all.....

41 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I can't find these tires online at all.....

try an eBay search for “NOS Dura Trax tires”. A seller named “cdnetwork” has some.  I bought some #4100s and #4104s from him. 

On 9/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

Tossed the BHM Brat body on the Frog chassis for giggles.  

47D86817-87BE-4E0D-86F7-C5E3BCF892F9.jpeg

L0ve that green. Reminds me of the old KX dirtbikes. Was it as easy as swapping front and rear body mounts to use the Brat body? Any way to lower the rear a bit more if I wanted to?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rider400 said:

L0ve that green. Reminds me of the old KX dirtbikes. Was it as easy as swapping front and rear body mounts to use the Brat body? Any way to lower the rear a bit more if I wanted to?

I didnt mount it I just set it on there to see how it would look I would think mounting would be easy and lowering with diff springs too.

• Like 1