burakol

Fake/clone Tamiya Branded Kit?

So I was lurking in the bay and trying to look for random RC/ Tamiya stuff. I came across a seller from Hong Kong with a Monster Beetle 2015 Rere for about $50 shipped to the US. The price seemed too good to be true but I figured I should be covered by PayPal anyway in case this is a fraudulent transaction or the item is not as described. The seller has photo of the box art and a photo of the contents. It is listed as new and the description was taken from the manufacturer directly. Im not 100% on the legitimacy of the item or of the seller for this matter but he has other items listed and has a positive feedback rating. In any case, is anyone aware if there are Tamiya Kits that have been cloned and been sold as “original” Tamiya? 

From my experience, there are some kit that have been cloned : TL 01, TT01, DF02, DF03. The latest is hilux hilift clone aka HG P417. Usually they sell it with different box(art) and name to run from copyright law. But its so easy to produce counterfeit box(art) and put a clone in it. Even if its a original box, especially with secondhand items/kits, they could easily switch the real one with the fake one. Thats the risk u gotta take when buying toys these days. Have not found one cloned and sold as (new) original tamiya.

Lots of japanese toys brand ex. bandai / takara tomy / goodsmile or other brands  have clones with same/ similar box, produced by chinese manufacturers. The price is 1/2 or more cheaper compared to the real one. For long time, we can compare the quality and the box, but these days they are getting better and its getting harder to differentiate em XD.

Sometimes have to watch it with the guys selling from Japan now. Came across a few multiple listings and cheap prices where it had 3 different sellers all different prices. Guy even accepted a lower price. When I saw 3 different listings for the same item I never paid and asked to cancel the order. 

When buying from anywhere where you can not go there in person if needed,follow the rule "if it seems too good to be true,it probably isn't" Also you might be covered by paypal but the process is not easy!

I saw a TT02D Civic kit for a similar price and went for it. Worst case I'm out like $40. I've seen that Monster Beetle you saw, a Grasshopper, Fighter Buggy RX, Toyota TS050 Gazoo, and a Mustang TT01 for around the that same price. All from Hong Kong or China sellers who have other random stuff like purses and fans for sale. 

Not sure what's going on I consider the $40 I dropped a total gamble. It's been three days and it hasn't shipped yet so I'm still curious as to what's going on. 

I have a Bruiser clone (not sold under Tamiya brand) I bought from Banggood sitting on one of my shelves in the RC room.  It appears well made from a distance, but close up you really get what you pay for.   As soon as I build my real Bruiser the clone is going to be taken outside for some off-road fun. 

32 minutes ago, Glowingtomato said:

I saw a TT02D Civic kit for a similar price and went for it. Worst case I'm out like $40. I've seen that Monster Beetle you saw, a Grasshopper, Fighter Buggy RX, Toyota TS050 Gazoo, and a Mustang TT01 for around the that same price. All from Hong Kong or China sellers who have other random stuff like purses and fans for sale. 

Not sure what's going on I consider the $40 I dropped a total gamble. It's been three days and it hasn't shipped yet so I'm still curious as to what's going on. 

Yup... exactly... between all the models you mentioned, I ended up picking the Monster Beetle. We shall see how this transpires... I'd appreciate if you can also give us some update??? 

3 hours ago, burakol said:

Yup... exactly... between all the models you mentioned, I ended up picking the Monster Beetle. We shall see how this transpires... I'd appreciate if you can also give us some update??? 

Yeah I'll post here if anything happens. 

This might give you a clue

It could happen with any make anywhere I guess - even Tamiya MB's - not saying it is a scam , but buyer beware

• Haha 3

Haha... yeah.. let's see what it turns out to be if it gets shipped...I'm already readying myself to open a PayPal case...heh...

Seller even posted a photo of the item.

Screenshot_20210625-204105_eBay.jpg

It seems to have exploded this week. There are are several postings for absurdly low-priced kits, all from new sellers, all from HK.

It's a scam, on ebay. I bought one a few months ago that was a Kyosho Ultima rere. I think of the dollar amount is low enough, Ebay will pay out before shipping is completed. Because of the whole coronavirus shipping situation it's all delayed, and the seller can claim it's not their fault. 

Just dont forget after a month of waiting, I think you have limited refund time anyway. 

• Thanks 1

I got scammed the same way last year buying an LP from Ireland. The seller continually said the shipping was delayed due to corona pandemic yadda yadda yadda and in the end the ebay refund date (that i wasnt aware of) passed by. I managed to get through to ebay customer care by phone (an actual real person too!!) Who advised that if the item on any transaction which hasnt arrived and has a couple of days left before the refund window closes to raise a claim as they can then process it even after the time frame.

• Like 1

FWIW, I messaged the seller and was actually surprised that he. I inquired about the shipping time frame and he said it should be shipping within 3 days not counting the weekend. I did a follow up message asking about the legitimacy of the listing trying to get as much useful information I can so if I end up filing a case, it is documented on the ebay messages. I asked if the photo is a close representation of the item sold and other information pertaining to a real Monster Beetle kit. Let's see if the seller responds. 

Ask him to take a picture with today's date and his eBay name on a piece of paper in front of the kit as he photographs it . It might help to prove he is at least in possession of the kit and that it's not just a stock web photo

• Like 1

I just got an ebay notification saying that my item has shipped. I don't know what to think/feel about this... I'm hopeful but not really sure...

• Like 1

Just now, burakol said:

I just got an ebay notification saying that my item has shipped. I don't know what to think/feel about this... I'm hopeful but not really sure...

My item also showed shipped. Also provided a tracking # . When I go to the Chinese shipping  website an enter the tracking number it does show the item progressing and moving.

I’m about like you though . I used A CC instead of my bank card for the PayPal.so if it is a fraud I should have an easier time cancelling charges 

• Like 1

Just now, KEV THE REV said:

fingers crossed  - I hope it turns out well

We shall see... who knows, I might end up with just a big box with a bunch of plastic inside... I, for sure, will be weary of my timeline to make sure I file a claim in time. The price is too good to be true... but again, who knows... 

So I also ordered a Grasshopper after the TT02D. I know it's a fool's gamble but I was just really curious as to what's going on, I also wasn't sober when I did it.... EBay does say it shipped yesterday but it's a tracking number provided so far. 

The TT02D hasn't shipped. I messaged the seller for it last and haven't got a reply. I plan on waiting one more week before taking action to cancel the order. I just want to see how this whole thing plays out. Will I get a box of junk? A picture of a kit? Some toy grade junk? Who knows? 

The Grasshopper was from niezh_48 theTT02D from xnaom4394. I took at look at my recently viewed items for the other kits I saw and noticed they have all ended. 

Screenshot_20210629-123431_eBay.jpg

1 minute ago, Glowingtomato said:

The Grasshopper was from niezh_48 theTT02D from xnaom4394. I took at look at my recently viewed items for the other kits I saw and noticed they have all ended. 

Screenshot_20210629-123431_eBay.jpg

China sticking another boot in ?