Andyfish2000

Secrets to even better on road body finishing please

So I have a few new bodies that I want to get looking great on the shelf and after some of the secrets to a better body please.  They are.....

1.  Panel lines - Do they go inside before painting or outside to finish off?  I assume pen is best?  Which one?  Sharpie?

2.  Bumpers / grills / window rubbers etc. - Is it best / easier to paint these items afterwards on outside to get better masking access etc.  If on the outside, I am guessing I can use my airbrush with any acrylic primers and top coast designed for plastics?

3.  Roll bars - What's best way to approach these please?  What materials are best?

Thanks all.  That's should help for starters.

Andy

1. I actually have the same question as you :)

2. Bumper and windows: if the body is going to strictly remain on the shelf you can paint on the outside with acrylics. You can key the surface with steel wool or Scotchbrite before (mask carefully so as not to dull the portion that will not be painted). If you are ever going to run it then you should really paint the bumpers on the inside. Masking is not easy of course. The window trim can't practically be painted on the inside and it is best to use vinyl decal (on the outside...) if you have a decal sheet for the body or if you can make some vinyl trims.

3. Roll bars can be made with polystyrene rods such as the ones made by Evergreen. You can look up the diameter of the tubes used on the 1:1 car (for instance 2") then scale down using the wheelbase to calculate true scale (it is not necessarily 1/10) then pick the closest rod diameter diameter. They can be bent with heat, glued with plastic model glue and painted with acrylic, enamel or even lacquer (whatever you have). It is a bit fiddly and time consuming. Then you have to decide if you attach them to the body or to an interior or even on some support on the chassis etc. Gluing to the body is done with ShoeGoo. I will post pictures when I get around to working on it again.

There are some amazing articles on Tamiyabase by Kuhfarben, he is on FB too and I suppose probably here as well? He seems to be the master!

Marc