Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

Sorry if there is already a thread on the TD4 chassis. But thought it might be good to have a "Super Avante" thread now that it's officially out. Would be cool to consolidate pertinent information. Added some screenshots below and lightened the main pic to see the suspension arms better.

So are you planning on getting one? And what are you most excited about?

Seems like there are some people torn about the new SA. I'll hold off on any negative criticism I may have as I'm curious to see it in person—and once I can get my hands on it.

This release reminds me of the feeling when the original Avante came out. It was quite different, unique, and probably shocked some people. Some folks I knew didn't like the original at all, but decades later, it ended up an icon regardless of what it is/was. And those friends of mind ended up having a kit or two. So I think the new SA will have its own sort of history or place.

In terms of dimensions, looks like the SA is wider, lower, longer wheelbase, but shorter overall.

Tamiya Super Avante #58696
Length: 338mm
Height: 124mm
Width: 246mm
Wheelbase: 283mm

1st Gen Tamiya Avante
Length: 420mm
Height: 140mm
Width: 240mm
Wheelbase: 260mm

++++++

Specs:

• Newly designed shaft-driven 4WD chassis based on the one-piece monocoque frame features the same ball differentials for front and rear, and features a longitudinal battery pack position in the center and a midship transverse motor for optimum balance and improved performance.
  • The TD4 chassis also employs a front inboard suspension layout which eliminates the need for a front damper stay and offers slim, low-profile form.
  • The four wheel double wishbone suspension system uses CVA oil dampers for superlative performance.
  • Features full ball bearings.
  • Steering is a three-piece steering arm in which two link rods and a crank arm transmit the movement of the servo.
  • Turnbuckle shafts for use with upper arms facilitate camber angle adjustment.
  • Star dish wheels are paired with square spike tires which offer grip off-superlative road.
  • Choose between high and low type wing stays to adjust the downforce depending on the road surface.
  • Comes with a driver figure for extra realism, and high-torque servo saver.
  • The camber angle can be easily adjusted by the upper arm that uses a turnbuckle shaft.

Body is clear and not painted
Motor not included
ESC not included

++++++

Hop-up Parts List (will keep updating):

22028 TD4 Assembly Universal Shafts ( 2)
22029 TD4 Differential Nut and Screw Set
22030 TD4 Aluminum Servo Stays
22031 TD4 Slipper Clutch Set
47464 TD4 Titanium Screw Set
51674 TD4 C-Parts (Uprights) (2)
51675 TD4 D-Parts (Suspension Arms) (2)

++++++

Release Date (Tentative):

TBD but maybe 4th quarter/late 2021

++++++

Price:

MSRP (Tamiya USA): $449.00

Selling price: TBD

MSRP Price Comparison (on Tamiya USA):
Egress (2013): $822
Avante (2011): $692
Top Force Evo: $570
Sand Scorcher: $534
Super Shot: $482
VQS (Vanquish Re-re): $482
Fighting Buggy 2014: $462
Landfreeder Quadtrack: $457
TD4 Super Avante: $449
TA08 Pro Chassis: $445
Super Astute 2018: $389

The Landfreeder selling price at Amain USA is $319 US. So I think the TD4 SA will be low $300 US.

++++++

I'm curious about the design concept. Hopefully, we'll hear more about it. The lead designer is Kota Nezu. I believe his recent work was on the JR Eleglitter. He also designed the Raikiri bodies and Mini 4WD Astralster, to name a few. Here is his website with older work, I would assume.

From what I've gathered, some don't like the SA look or even hate it. I don't mind it at all. I do like that it has character and that bit of Japanese peculiarity. I would be more worried if it looked like the typical race spec buggies from TLR, TA, Yokomo, Kyosho, Schumacher, etc. with forward cabins. I would assume the SA speaks more to the Japanese mainstream.

I'm very excited about this chassis and hope it won't be difficult to procure one, especially parts, as I would rather make this a runner. As for parts, it makes me wonder if this new version of Avante is meant to be more accessible, hence the plastic dampers, reinforced plastics for durability (especially those thick arms), and shared components--I think such as the front inboard suspension à la TC-01 and monocoque frame. I also wonder if the price will be reasonable.

Any other official info and constructive thoughts from others would be great. Thanks.

avante1a.jpg

avante6.jpg

avante3.jpg

avante9.jpg

avante7.jpg

avante2.jpg

avante1.jpg

avante5.jpg

avante4.jpg

avante8.jpg

• Like 9

Just in case you missed the week-old thread already running;

Thanks. I didn’t miss it. Actually posted there but I thought it would be cool to have a topic that says Tamiya Super Avante with lots of photos and information. Instead of things being scattered and posts on speculation stuff. But if this is too much please delete. Thanks

• Like 2

Totally into the idea of a random thread and one for serious chassis and spec discussion 

• Like 2

No disrespect to @toyolien by having this thread but if it annoys most I'll have admin delete. Just let me know.

On the first video they mostly talk about the top level stuff and a bit of the Avante history. I believe the second one later will be more about the chassis. But here are some interesting screenshots.

avante9b.jpg

avante9bc.jpg

avante9bd.jpg

avante9be.jpg

avante9bf.jpg

avante9bg.jpg

avante9bh.jpg

avante9bi.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The more I see of this thing, the more excited I get. Man, I hope that Tamiya can keep up with demand.

Look at what's selling in Mini4WD.

• Like 1

One of your photos is from the TC01.  The shot of the inboard shocks.  Unless you're using it as an example in which case never mind.  ;)

I'm hoping that the inboard suspension means they can adapt bodies from the Mini4WD series.  There's some really neat ones that would make great buggies.  Putting the suspension inboard makes it so much easier to create them without the front suspension tower getting in the way.

• Like 2

Some very interesting features there, hex head screws, lots of reinforced plastic and very sturdy looking arms….

The rear gear box looks especially interesting, that cover over the inner ball link is a new one on me. 

looking forward to the second livestream 

4 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

No disrespect to @toyolien by having this thread but if it annoys most I'll have admin delete. Just let me know.

No probs from me. Good idea to have a 'tech' thread. 

• Like 2

Well, I thought I didn't like modern buggies full stop. But it looks like I'll have to revise that statement.

I have far too many kits already, but I'd like one of these.

• Like 1

The more I se this the more I like it!!! Just hope the body is clear from the get go. The real decider will be the £€$¥?

• Like 1

Just seen I the chassis on the live stream, it’s ridiculous, I love it

I prefer the chassis without the body... I repeat myself but this chassis with a Javelin like roll cage within the proportion of an Ariel Atom would probably make a hit...

• Like 2

Here's how you get to the battery.  Two screws attach to the bridge across the chassis and two body clips are part of the steering links.

CPEpy3l.png

Looks like a low profile servo is necessary.  It goes across the battery into an arm attached to the damper bridge mount, then down to the steering.  I can see those two screws holding the bridge becoming a weak spot from taking it off to replace the battery plus the constant damper forces acting on it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

And unscrewed for access

Screenshot_20210626-0922142.png

Yeah, I wonder if that cross brace for the driver is strictly needed and maybe a shorty lipo can slide in that way?

• Like 1

First thoughts:

it’s super interesting and like all intersecting Tamiya designs is going to be tight on space for esc/rx installation.

There seems to be more than a few chassis parts that are extraneous and might be removed with out losing structural integrity, those exhaust pipes and fender mounts to start with.

Same for the body, I think there will be more than a few who don’t mount the cabin or the body wing, that will change the look significantly.

the drive train looks to be DF03 inspired, so it should be solid, will need a slipper though and I hope the diff out drives are metal. They looked it on the stream.

a real lack of fine tuning setup options mark this as a good intro club racer imo. Modern buggies have a silly amount of options, most of which will make zero difference to a less experienced driver, and likey to most experienced ones too. This is a plus in my book. Keep it simple and focus on driving skill.

there is room for a lot of shiney hop ups, which will keep the blue crowd happy. 

On second look and with a zoom in, it’s the driver and the side braces that get in the way of the battery it seems, get them out and access might be easier.

Also plenty of weight balance potential with a shorty lipo. 

• Like 1

I like the way they made access to the battery a massive ballache - like father like son. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

At first, I thought it would be "TC-01, but longer suspensions and different rear shock mount", but apart from the similar front shocks setup, it's kind of it's own beast. Wonder if they kinda solved the space issues of that chassis, like how changing the pinion means disassembling half of the car.

• Like 1

I think it would be interesting to really see how to remove/install that battery. Interesting how body pins keep the adjusters in place.

avanteza.jpg

avantezb.jpg

avantezc.jpg

avantezd.jpg

avanteze.jpg

avantezf.jpg

avantezg.jpg

avantezh.jpg

avantezi.jpg

Sorry guys BUT what a lot of plastic parts and budget look for a Avante!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

Sorry guys BUT what a lot of plastic parts and budget look for a Avante!

Feel like you might be missing the point of the Avante.

it was never about expensive materials or being expensive, it was a showcase of Tamiya’s tech. That looked shiney in the 80’s but ultimately all of that tech was mostly useless.

The name and colors are trash but we’ll see what the price is. It’s not gonna be priced as “mid” range that’s for sure. It’ll be $400 USD + pretty much guaranteed.