Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

Just asked my son what he thought of Tamiya's new buggy. His response:

'I think I'd rather have a Hotshot'

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Totally 😂

One of the things I love about the Hotshot is that the shock tower is hidden away. It’s what puts me off things like the Egress and Top Force.

19 hours ago, matisse said:

Feel like you might be missing the point of the Avante.

it was never about expensive materials or being expensive, it was a showcase of Tamiya’s tech. That looked shiney in the 80’s but ultimately all of that tech was mostly useless.

If it was never about expence why was the kit expensive at the time? Tamiya was making good plastic parts at the time. Why are the top spec shocks still metal and shiney and not some cheap to produce hitech plastic? Its all about money,that blue metal all the guys buy for unreal price,dont kid your self.

4 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

If it was never about expence why was the kit expensive at the time?

Because as Matisse says it was the about the tech. New tech is always more expensive at first. As for metal parts, they work fine in a heavy SRB used on the beach, or for an off-road race car that doesn't really run off-road anymore. But for

a proper off-road car that runs in the dirt, plastic is probably better and slop matters far less.

But if you feel like being cynical, don't let me stop you. :)

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

If it was never about expence why was the kit expensive at the time? Tamiya was making good plastic parts at the time. Why are the top spec shocks still metal and shiney and not some cheap to produce hitech plastic? Its all about money,that blue metal all the guys buy for unreal price,dont kid your self.

Because any new tech is expensive, simple as that.

they were making okay plastics at the time it seems, but afaik not glass/carbon reinforced materials. 

As for the shocks, materials have different properties, flex is needed and indeed welcome in some areas and not in others. This leads into a bigger question about what TRF means. It’s not about blue bling for no reason, it’s about making race winning cars and to do that you use the right material in the right place. 

of course, as a business  selling option parts makes perfect sense, as if your not racing and about the hobby, what material is used matters less compared to how it’s looks, for the most part anyway. 

• Like 1

Depending on the hopup list - but now theres more / better pics available I'm 90% sure I'll be getting one of these :D

The look of the plastics, turnbuckles, and the anti rollbar provision + the all hex hardware reassure me this might be alright on track, wheels look the right size as well. 

Battery change looks annoying, but if the driver figure etc. is removed it may be a little easier maybe...? 

Wonder when we will see the release? I'm guessing could be a while? Will be good to see a manual when it appears online

• Like 1

Ti Screw set confirmed as the first Hop Up. 

Implies that are taking this seriously as that’s not a very common option afaik

13 minutes ago, matisse said:

Where’s it been confirmed? Cheers.

35 minutes ago, matisse said:

Excellent - reassuring so far... :D

Any other hopups confirmed? Slipper Clutch would be nice! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuggyGuy said:

Excellent - reassuring so far... :D

Any other hopups confirmed? Slipper Clutch would be nice! 

no that i've seen, but i'd imagine so. With you on the slipper clutch, that in concert with the ball diffs will make for a very sturdy drive train.

29 minutes ago, matisse said:

On FB by @Mokei Kagaku, Part 47464

Cheers. Don’t use FB so would have never of found that!

• Like 2

At 56'38 we can see what could be "future doors" for a shorty, on either sides of the chassis?

• Like 1

Having watched / rewatched the videos - I think a battery can go in at 90 deg to what has been shown so far. You can see the cutouts on the chassis bottom (chassis look correct width for a shorty Lipo as well). I think this would also allow for a more central/forward servo position

The spot where they have the power button mounted also looks like it could be cooling duct for the motor (possibly?). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Having watched / rewatched the videos - I think a battery can go in at 90 deg to what has been shown so far. You can see the cutouts on the chassis bottom (chassis look correct width for a shorty Lipo as well). I think this would also allow for a more central/forward servo position

The spot where they have the power button mounted also looks like it could be cooling duct for the motor (possibly?). 

I hope so. It's the only criticism I have of the car. Dismantling the steering and suspension to change a battery is madness... even for Tamiya. 

• Like 1

I can't figure out who the target market is for this, but I'm glad you guys are excited about it.

10 minutes ago, isomer1 said:

I can't figure out who the target market is for this, but I'm glad you guys are excited about it.

I think it reminds of when the Hotshot or Supershot came out. You xould buy one and race it round the streets, take it to the park or bmx track and have a load of fun. Or you could add a few hop ups and surprise a few people at a club meeting. 

Sure, I doubt it'll ever win an Ifmar title but I don't think that's it's aim.

I think, like the Hotshot it's a modern 4wd buggy that will provide hours of fun as well as a few club meetings. Perfect for me. If it was another tt02b I wouldn't be interested. Same if it was a trf race car. But, looking how durable the plastics look and how tough the wishbones are, I think it could be whatever you wanted it to. Might be wrong but it suits me.. as long as there's a better way to remove the battery. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, isomer1 said:

One thing I do notice about Tamiya is they design/create products primarily for the Japanese market, first. In that context, the SA makes a lot of sense (and other products—if you exclude TRF for serious local and international racing). I've been following most of the local reactions (thru translation) and a majority of the Japanese RC enthusiasts are positively excited about it. Then they have the Asian market next where Mini 4WD is big and I'm sure the appeal of the SA works there too. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, isomer1 said:

I can't figure out who the target market is for this

Wonder if they are having a go at creating a Buggy Spec class, like TT01 / TT02 spec racing, but in Japan / Asia...maybe. 

• Like 1

I'm really intrigued by this.  I think it falls roughly where I hoped it would in my post in the other thread - a quirky, interesting chassis design with a space-age body.  I don't know that it really warrants the Avante name but I can't see a glaring reason not to use it, so if it garners some interest among people who like that sort of thing, then great.  I do hope this is Tamiya returning to their roots and that we don't get a dozen carbon-copy issues with slightly different bodies - maybe 2-3 body options on this chassis before we get something new to satisfy that collector market.

Do I like it?  Well, not really.  I don't like the colour scheme and I don't like the lines of the body.  To me, it looks too much like an upside down bathtub with a glass dish on top.  I think it could have been so much more but maybe we'll get a different body option later.  That said, perhaps an alternate colour scheme could improve it.  But that's just me, and if people like it, go for it.

Would I buy one?  On body style alone, no.  For racing, no.  Out of general interest, yes, probably - it's quirky and new and looks like a fun build, and could be a cool talking point at meets.  But I'm not buying any new cars for quite some time now and I can probably find other things I'd rather spend the money on, especially as I expect this will be a pricey release.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

Only £100 more.....lol

8_team-corally-radix-xp-6s-model-2021-1-8-buggy-ep-rtr.jpg

Yeah - and its got about as much character as a Hollyoaks cast member, and may easily win the next watching paint dry world championships :P

TD4 is the first new dedicated Tamiya off road buggy platform for what, 10 years? That's got to be one of the main reasons everyone's pretty interested (even if they don't plan on getting one). 

• Like 2

Just now, BuggyGuy said:

Yeah - and its got about as much character as a Hollyoaks cast member, and may easily win the next watching paint dry world championships :P

TD4 is the first new dedicated Tamiya off road buggy platform for what, 10 years? That's got to be one of the main reasons everyone's pretty interested (even if they don't plan on getting one). 

These things handle like a God......not sure you know what you are talking about......lol