Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

12 hours ago, Raman36 said:

It’s Tamiya metric 48. Tony in competitionX video installed standard 48p. 

Does the XV01 use the TRF201 slipper? 

What is "metric 48"? Tamiya uses metric 0.4, 0.5, 0.6 but TRF buggies (and slippers taken from them) have proper 48p. XV has slipper derived from TRF201.

10 hours ago, matisse said:

God gear pitches are annoying. I always thought 48dp was close to 0.5m and “metric 48” was 0.6m

i give up

48p is 0.53 - close to 0.5, but not close enough to be compatible (it needs to be within 0.01mm) m0.6 is 42p (I think I've seen some Traxxas gears in this pitch)

Metric 48 isn't a thing. 48dp is 48dp, and that's what the TRF buggies used. Even if it is some metric thing in the TD4, that slipper pad interface looks like thd older ones so you'll be able to get a range of kimbrough 48dp spurs (listed for the associated B4) to get the gearing you want.

• Like 3

Tamiya USA is listing the TA-06/XV-01 gear diff as a hop up, and refers to "TD4 chassis kits", not just Super Avante. Also, the front suspension appears to use slightly modified TRF501/DB-01/XV-01 parts. There aren't any carbon reinforced parts listed yet.

I'm getting more excited about this one. I've preordered the kit and a few hop-ups, already have the electronics on my shelf - Savox low-profile servo, 13.5 Hobbywing V3, Hobbywing Pro Stock ESC. Might try a Trinity 13.5 instead. I'm definitely changing the wheels, probably to DE Borrego.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Tamiya USA is listing the TA-06/XV-01 gear diff as a hop up, and refers to "TD4 chassis kits", not just Super Avante. Also, the front suspension appears to use slightly modified TRF501/DB-01/XV-01 parts. There aren't any carbon reinforced parts listed yet.

I'm getting more excited about this one. I've preordered the kit and a few hop-ups, already have the electronics on my shelf - Savox low-profile servo, 13.5 Hobbywing V3, Hobbywing Pro Stock ESC. Might try a Trinity 13.5 instead. I'm definitely changing the wheels, probably to DE Borrego.

That’s interesting, I’ll be sticking to ball diffs though, just prefer the feel of them when I’m driving

Funny when this first appeared 8 pages ago I hardly even checked on it progress. I have to say, and I’m not a buggy person, I’m beginning to like the look of this. I wouldn’t pre order but would seriously consider it at some point as a fun badger.

32 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I think that seals it for gear pitch too. Thd TA06 diff is 48dp.

But that's differential pitch, not spur gear pitch.

13 hours ago, Honza said:

What is "metric 48"? Tamiya uses metric 0.4, 0.5, 0.6 but TRF buggies (and slippers taken from them) have proper 48p. XV has slipper derived from TRF201.

48p is 0.53 - close to 0.5, but not close enough to be compatible (it needs to be within 0.01mm) m0.6 is 42p (I think I've seen some Traxxas gears in this pitch)

Another name for Mod 0.6 is metric 48 pitch.  It’s not in any way compatible with standard 48p.

On the Instagram presentation for TD-4 by TamiyaUSA, Fred says, it comes with Mod 0.6 which is also know as metric 48 pitch.

36 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

On the Instagram presentation for TD-4 by TamiyaUSA, Fred says, it comes with Mod 0.6 which is also know as metric 48 pitch.

This may be the case but it doesn't make him or anyone else who uses this misnomer correct.

As others have said, 'metric 48d pitch' isn't a thing - it's either metric (module or mod) OR its the inch-based 'English system' (numbers ending in p or d.p.).

Someone somewhere thought one day that 0.6 module looks a bit like 48d.p. and was too lazy to refer to two different systems so they started calling it metric 48 pitch, but it's not, and this lazyness has probably cost more than a few people's 48d.p. spur gears when they inadvertently used incompatible pinions in their cars...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Another name for Mod 0.6 is metric 48 pitch.

Never heard this one but it sounds like total nonsense. Do you call 3mm balls "metric 3/32" too? Because that'd be the same thing. It's just wrong and it doesn't matter who calls it like that.

17 hours ago, Big Jon said:

so you can buy 2 of the ta-06 gear diffs and use them in front/rear?

13 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

If filling small spaces with very viscous fluid is your thing then it would appear so

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Yes, it looks like the whole transmission is based around XV01 gears, with extra bevels that replace belt with shaft drive.

• Like 1

This is good news for those who race IMO - oil filled gear diffs should be a bit better and easier to look after if running on a really high traction surfaces.

I wonder if that also means the counter gear is the same, I've got a hardened lightweight one for the XV01 somewhere in my parts bin...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

This is good news for those who race IMO - oil filled gear diffs should be a bit better and easier to look after if running on a really high traction surfaces.

I wonder if that also means the counter gear is the same, I've got a hardened lightweight one for the XV01 somewhere in my parts bin...

We run gear diffs on low grip dirt too in our HB D418. It has a centre diff too which no doubt makes a difference, but it seems that 4wd buggies have gone away rrom ball diffs lately? 2wd still use them though for low grip.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

4wd buggies have gone away rrom ball diffs

Yes, even Tamiya's TRF503 had gear diffs. Quite interesting they went back to ball diffs in TD4.

• Like 1

So, do we think Tamiya has aimed this car at racers? Or maybe just racers in Japan? Or is it just meant as a fun 4wd buggy?

12 minutes ago, toyolien said:

So, do we think Tamiya has aimed this car at racers? Or maybe just racers in Japan? Or is it just meant as a fun 4wd buggy?

I'm not sure what's target of 90% of Tamiya's products. :D

This one doesn't look like competition buggy. But ball diffs with cageless thrust bearings and overall complexity doesn't look like beginner's backyard buggy either.

• Like 2

Just now, Honza said:

But ball diffs with cageless thrust bearings and overall complexity doesn't look like beginner's backyard buggy either.

That's exactly my thinking. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Club racer, but they’re own definition of what that is. 

I think anything that isn’t TRF branded is crossover really, race and bash

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, toyolien said:

It looks tough enough with those wishbones to be suitable for a bit of a basher, and looks adjustable enough for a club racer. Its definitely not going to be a full blown world's winning competition buggy though I don't think.

They need a new 4WD buggy platform IMO, the TT02B is not great due to its on road origins, short wheelbase, lack of kickup and no clutch (amoungst other stuff!), the DF03 is old now and not really strong enough to be a club racer or basher (at least with modern power). The older based stuff like TF Evo is awesome - but it's from a different era, and you really need to know your stuff if you want to race one or use on modern power IMO

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

To me this looks like it takes the same spot as the TC01 does for offroad - it doesn't fit anywhere. Quality appears on par with a TA or TB car which is great, but the design seems too compromised for it to be a successful club racer. Also, the kit doesn't include the essentials for racing like the slipper clutch and better dampers.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

To me this looks like it takes the same spot as the TC01 does for offroad - it doesn't fit anywhere. Quality appears on par with a TA or TB car which is great, but the design seems too compromised for it to be a successful club racer. Also, the kit doesn't include the essentials for racing like the slipper clutch and better dampers.

Kinda like the DB01/DN01 then I guess

47 minutes ago, matisse said:

Kinda like the DB01/DN01 then I guess

They'll be an MS/R/RR version at some point I'd wager - plenty of useful for racing hopups already announced

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rich_f said:

This may be the case but it doesn't make him or anyone else who uses this misnomer correct.

As others have said, 'metric 48d pitch' isn't a thing - it's either metric (module or mod) OR its the inch-based 'English system' (numbers ending in p or d.p.).

Someone somewhere thought one day that 0.6 module looks a bit like 48d.p. and was too lazy to refer to two different systems so they started calling it metric 48 pitch, but it's not, and this lazyness has probably cost more than a few people's 48d.p. spur gears when they inadvertently used incompatible pinions in their cars...

I get that it's not a thing based on metric vs english measuring system.  Tamiya also calls Mod 0.6 AV gears, which can be confusing to newcomers into the hobby.  

Mod 0.6 has been marketed by some brands in the past, in particular Robinson racing as metric 48p for years (since discontinued)  For some of us who have been in the hobby long enough and live on a different side of the world, this nomenclature has stuck.  

If anything, Mod 0.4 should have been called Metric 64p because they are extremely close.  In a pinch, you can use a Mod 0.4 pinion with a 64p spur or vice versa. I did so in last weeks race when I couldn't find a 42t 64p pinion.