Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

3 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

what other upgrades you putting on?

Personally I’m sticking to the DF03 dampers with a few mods that I mostly had in the parts bin, then of the hop ups announced it will be the slipper and a set of CVDs for the front, both those are essential imo.

I also grabbed a pair of captured thrust races and HCCA diff balls for the diffs, as they will be easier to maintain and last longer that way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

what other upgrades you putting on?

I've ordered:

22028    Assembly Universal Shafts ( 2)
22029    Differential Nut and Screw Set
22030    Aluminum Servo Stays
22031    TD4 Slipper Clutch Set

53823    5mm Aluminum Hexes

Will probably order (when they are released):

22032    Aluminum Steering Bridge
22033    Aluminum Steering Arms
22034    Aluminum Crank Arm

I've got a 10.5t Tamiya TBLM motor. Not sure on which esc or servo yet though. I've sold a couple of my build vehicles to put the money in to this one. Really looking forward to it. What about you:?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, matisse said:

I also grabbed a pair of captured thrust races and HCCA diff balls for the diffs, as they will be easier to maintain and last longer that way.

Are they Tamiya parts?

5 minutes ago, matisse said:

Personally I’m sticking to the DF03 dampers with a few mods that I mostly had in the parts bin, then of the hop ups announced it will be the slipper and a set of CVDs for the front, both those are essential imo.

nice! im gonna do the slipper, gear diffs, and the alu steering to hopefully stop it getting sloppier than already is and will get from the plastic loosening up over time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I've ordered:

22028    Assembly Universal Shafts ( 2)
22029    Differential Nut and Screw Set
22030    Aluminum Servo Stays
22031    TD4 Slipper Clutch Set

53823    5mm Aluminum Hexes

Will probably order (when they are released):

22032    Aluminum Steering Bridge
22033    Aluminum Steering Arms
22034    Aluminum Crank Arm

I've got a 10.5t Tamiya TBLM motor. Not sure on which esc or servo yet though. I've sold a couple of my build vehicles to put the money in to this one. Really looking forward to it. What about you:?

Slipper

gear diffs

alu steering

As for motor/esc/servo. No idea on motor/esc yet but will use Savox 1251 black edition servo. 

6 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Are they Tamiya parts?

Yup,  53136 / 53379

forgot  about wheel hexes, they are kind of a given….

stering rack wise, I’m actually quietly confident in the glass reinforced plastic parts, i kinda feel that the alu parts will be a bit overkill for my use.

13 minutes ago, matisse said:

Yup,  53136 / 53379

forgot  about wheel hexes, they are kind of a given….

stering rack wise, I’m actually quietly confident in the glass reinforced plastic parts, i kinda feel that the alu parts will be a bit overkill for my use.

Magic, thanks. I also think that the stock plastic parts will be quite durable. I'll decide about the alu parts when I see the price!

• Like 1

I've already ordered the slipper and the DF03 dampers. I'm guessing I may also get the front cvds, but those will have to wait. I mean, you gotta space these orders out to stay safe. :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Honza said:

@toyolien, @matisse

That won't fit into TD4 diffs, it uses 6026 (2,6x6) bearings. Also, I think that these ball diffs use 3/32" balls instead of 3mm

Might be a typo, might have bought the wrong one, let’s find out when it arrives…

if it is 3/32 then that’s a bit silly tbh

3 minutes ago, matisse said:

Might be a typo, might have bought the wrong one, let’s find out when it arrives…

if it is 3/32 then that’s a bit silly tbh

Only other captured bearing I know is 2x6 used in older TRF and TA/TB cars. That one requires 2mm screw and nut. Cageless design uses 2,5mm screw.

3/32 were used in the TRF201 ball diff, as well as TA06 ball diff so I think that TD4 will be no different. They are needed in those tiny 52T/48p gears

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Honza said:

Only other captured bearing I know is 2x6 used in older TRF and TA/TB cars. That one requires 2mm screw and nut. Cageless design uses 2,5mm screw.

3/32 were used in the TRF201 ball diff, as well as TA06 ball diff so I think that TD4 will be no different. They are needed in those tiny 52T/48p gears

Sigh, another mistake by me it seems.  At least they were cheap and I can sell em on.

dfa3a481b1ad0ad379eb4283ae452184.jpg

Those two tiny metal hats, are the pressed into the spur gear to run the shaft into it? If it is so, nice feature.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Collin said:

dfa3a481b1ad0ad379eb4283ae452184.jpg

Those two tiny metal hats, are the pressed into the spur gear to run the shaft into it? If it is so, nice feature.

Might be used either side of the spring?

54 minutes ago, Collin said:

35 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Might be used either side of the spring?

Actually, if they did either of those things it would be great.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, toyolien said:

Which springs did you order ?

I've ordered (hopefully correct):

54504    Front Aeration Dampers
54505    Rear Aeration Dampers
54506    Front Aeration Damper Springs 2wd
54507    Front Aeration Damper Springs 4wd
54508    Rear Aeration Damper Springs

I don’t understand why you’d need 3 sets of springs. Surely only 2 sets? Or is this because it’s unsure which of the 2/3 are the right ones?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cynan said:

I don’t understand why you’d need 3 sets of springs. Surely only 2 sets? Or is this because it’s unsure which of the 2/3 are the right ones?

I watched the video on youtube with the 'translate to English' setting on. He was basically saying that depending on which battery you use (more about the weight than the capacity etc), you may find the 4wd front springs too stiff, and to use the 2wd front instead. So, as they were only $7 per pack I thought I'd try them. I like to play around with the dampers on most of my cars.

I was planning on using the 54993 TT-02/DF-03 dampers I'd bought, but they went on my Super Hotshot. So, I was about to order another set for the TD-4, but then when I saw those Big Bores, I thought they looked fab.

• Like 1

If you need something translated from Japanese, post up the link and time where you want translated.  

If it’s short enough I’ll watch it and translate it for you. 

• Like 1

Just now, Willy iine said:

If you need something translated from Japanese, post up the link and time where you want translated.  

If it’s short enough I’ll watch it and translate it for you guys.  

Thank you . That's really good to know. The video is an hour and a half long! The youtube translate is pretty poor, but good enough to get the gist. Apart from when they start talking about "the cat's panties" or "please choose your appropriate dongfeng" etc etc...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, djmcnz said:

Actually, if they did either of those things it would be great.

They definitely look like they hold the spring in place.

12 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I watched the video on youtube with the 'translate to English' setting on. He was basically saying that depending on which battery you use (more about the weight than the capacity etc), you may find the 4wd front springs too stiff, and to use the 2wd front instead. So, as they were only $7 per pack I thought I'd try them. I like to play around with the dampers on most of my cars.

I was planning on using the 54993 TT-02/DF-03 dampers I'd bought, but they went on my Super Hotshot. So, I was about to order another set for the TD-4, but then when I saw those Big Bores, I thought they looked fab.

Thanks. Watching the video it seems they used red springs in the rear and green in the front. The green seem to be the front 2WD ones from what I can see.

The spring sets seem really hard to find.

13 minutes ago, Cynan said:

Thanks. Watching the video it seems they used red springs in the rear and green in the front. The green seem to be the front 2WD ones from what I can see.

The spring sets seem really hard to find.

Stella models 😉