Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

7 hours ago, toyolien said:

Stella models šŸ˜‰

Out of stock for meĀ :(

Somehow i missed thatĀ Live RC on Youtube where MS discussed all the hop-ups on his car, took a few screen shots. Nice to see them telling you how to adjust the Hop-UP dampers in the manual.

Screenshot-2021-09-18-at-15.14.50.md.png

Screenshot-2021-09-18-at-15.17.01.md.png

Screenshot-2021-09-18-at-15.41.10.md.png

• Like 1

I hope it's as bomb proof as it appears to be from the build videos. Everything looks very tough.Ā 

• Like 1

Does look very tough!

Wonder how much it's going to weigh, I'm guessing it's going to be a lot heavier than the full spec competition cars - though quite hard to judge from the videos!

The paint job is nice, but seeing it with the the Egress style wheels Iā€™m not convinced.

27 minutes ago, matisse said:

The paint job is nice, but seeing it with the the Egress style wheels Iā€™m not convinced.

Yes - the finishing on that isn't great. Looks like the paint job went horribly wrong and has been covered up in stickers! Also some judicious sanding needed.Ā 

Maybe the body is a swine to mask and paint.Ā 

• Like 1

Was really excited when I first seen this announced. But the more I have seen of it the more disappointed I am. And don't get me started on the price point. It's in the realm of competition buggys but yet no where near as capable. They have Def aimed this at current Tamiya owners / fans and hope that they jump at it no matter the price. A shame as if it was around the Ā£200 bracket they Def would have gotten more outside interest imo.Ā 

If I was an outsider looking at Tamiya cars, a Hotshot or Super Astute would be a far better choice. Which confuses me as to where the TD4 stands in the line up? Is it a replacement for the DB02? Yet around Ā£100 more expensive.Ā 

James.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Was really excited when I first seen this announced. But the more I have seen of it the more disappointed I am. And don't get me started on the price point.

I'd say that everything that is 'expensive' shouldn't necessarily be considered as 'for competition'. If it's as nice to put together as my M-07 it should be ace.Ā 

• Like 2

They have Def aimed this at current Tamiya owners / fans and hope that they jump at it no matter the price.

I guess the fanboys will do just that.

:wacko:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Was really excited when I first seen this announced. But the more I have seen of it the more disappointed I am. And don't get me started on the price point. It's in the realm of competition buggys but yet no where near as capable. They have Def aimed this at current Tamiya owners / fans and hope that they jump at it no matter the price. A shame as if it was around the Ā£200 bracket they Def would have gotten more outside interest imo.Ā 

If I was an outsider looking at Tamiya cars, a Hotshot or Super Astute would be a far better choice. Which confuses me as to where the TD4 stands in the line up? Is it a replacement for the DB02? Yet around Ā£100 more expensive.Ā 

James.

Interesting points but this is the information and pictures thread - there's a more general thread about the TD4 where this stuff is better posted I think.Ā 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Have I missed the price announcement on this? Or is it just speculation at this point?Ā 

Jadlam has them on their site for pre order for Ā£319.95, that's just the kit. šŸ‘.

James.

• Like 1

Jadlam has them on their site for pre order for Ā£319.95, that's just the kit. šŸ‘.

James.

Wow, ok thats crazy expensive, that works out over NZD$600 which rules it out for me.Ā  Under NZD$400 is where I would be interested.Ā  A TD4-R for $600 with alloy shocks, standard sized wheels, slipper etc would stack up though.

2 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Wow, ok thats crazy expensive, that works out over NZD$600 which rules it out for me.Ā  Under NZD$400 is where I would be interested.Ā  A TD4-R for $600 with alloy shocks, standard sized wheels, slipper etc would stack up though.

Indeed, I mean a TT02 is Ā£95 here in the UK and even a TT02B is Ā£105. Which is fair prices imo, I just can't get my head round the Ā£320, plus no doubt it will need hop ups to run a hot motor. So possibly looking at well over Ā£400 just for the kit and a few hop-ups. A real shame as I say it Def looks interesting, but I just can't get my head round the price.

James.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

Tower Hobbies has them for $314.30 USD. $264.30 after their coupon

See that's not bad, that's around Ā£190 GBP. šŸ‘Ā 

James.

8 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

a TT02 is Ā£95 here in the UK and even a TT02B is Ā£105. Which is fair prices imo, I just can't get my head round the Ā£320

I will try and keep this as informational as possible :)

FWIW I think itĀ wouldĀ be better if it was Ā£190. I'm not sure how Tower Hobbies can do it at that price, and in the UK we'd be paying VAT and duty on that anyway if we import one.Ā 

Some things to consider when thinking about the price:

• This is essentially an all new buggy. It shares a few components with older chassis but the number is tiny: a few gears, spur, front c-hubs, CVAs, wheels.Ā So each kit is carrying the investment in design,Ā mould production and testing of a whole new chassis, drive train, suspension set up,Ā complex body etc. If they sell a lot of these, the price will likely go down as that investment isĀ paid off. This is why the TT0 whatever is so cheap - , other than beingĀ horribly basic things, they've made and sold a lot of them. There's no investment to repay anymore.Ā 
  • The plastics used are modern glass re-enforced plastics, the same as the other D series buggies, TRF carsĀ and mid levelĀ touring cars. These plastics are better for consumers but harder on the moulds and increase the cost of tooling
  • The kit comes with a complete bearing set,Ā adjustable turnbuckles, aluminiumĀ motor mount, prop shaft, steel drive cups (as apposed to the DB02 plastic drive cups that melted)
  • The kit comes with metal diff outdrives (as opposed to the DB01 / DN01Ā plastic outdrives that someĀ people found problematic)
  • The kit comes with aĀ complete set of hex head machine screws (uh oh screw debate incoming! Whatever, all performance buggies use machine threaded hex screws)
  • Out of the box, it is comparable with the DB01 and DB02 except as above it shares no 'defining'Ā parts with any other chassis, whereas all the D series buggies shared suspension, steering & gearboxĀ parts withĀ each other and the TRF cars, reducing the cost of design and production overallĀ 
  • When it was released, the DB02 wasĀ around Ā£220 (I can't actually remember but it was around that price IIRC) but that was nearly ten years agoĀ and inflation has made your Ā£ buy less. They also expected to sell a lot of them as the DB01 that came before it was massively successful. They got their fingers burned however as it was a flop - theyĀ probably didn't make the money needed to justify its production and marketing,Ā despite it sharing parts with chassis that came before it. I suspect they've learned from this, and the priceĀ factors in their risk.Ā 
  • Pandemic - everything is more expensive.Ā 
  • It's a true quirky Tamiya thing, not some Losi / AE knockoff like the DB01 and TRF201 were.Ā 

Overall I think we should be massively thankful that Tamiya has produced a newĀ buggy at all. It's a big gamble for them, or a big gamble for some people inside who probably had to work very hard and put a lot on the line to make it happen.Ā 
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, InsaneJim69 said:

See that's not bad, that's around Ā£190 GBP. šŸ‘Ā 

James.

USA prices don't include sales tax because it's different throughout the country. Add 20% for a more accurate comparison

2 hours ago, Howards said:

FWIW I think itĀ wouldĀ be better if it was Ā£190. I'm not sure how Tower Hobbies can do it at that price, and in the UK we'd be paying VAT and duty on that anyway if we import one.Ā 

• This is essentially an all new buggy. It shares a few components with older chassis but the number is tiny: a few gears, spur, front c-hubs, CVAs, wheels.Ā So each kit is carrying the investment in design,Ā mould production and testing of a whole new chassis, drive train, suspension set up,Ā complex body etc. If they sell a lot of these, the price will likely go down as that investment isĀ paid off. This is why the TT0 whatever is so cheap - , other than beingĀ horribly basic things, they've made and sold a lot of them. There's no investment to repay anymore.Ā 
  • The plastics used are modern glass re-enforced plastics, the same as the other D series buggies, TRF carsĀ and mid levelĀ touring cars. These plastics are better for consumers but harder on the moulds and increase the cost of tooling
  • The kit comes with a complete bearing set,Ā adjustable turnbuckles, aluminiumĀ motor mount, prop shaft, steel drive cups (as apposed to the DB02 plastic drive cups that melted)
  • The kit comes with metal diff outdrives (as opposed to the DB01 / DN01Ā plastic outdrives that someĀ people found problematic)
  • The kit comes with aĀ complete set of hex head machine screws (uh oh screw debate incoming! Whatever, all performance buggies use machine threaded hex screws)
  • Out of the box, it is comparable with the DB01 and DB02 except as above it shares no 'defining'Ā parts with any other chassis, whereas all the D series buggies shared suspension, steering & gearboxĀ parts withĀ each other and the TRF cars, reducing the cost of design and production overallĀ 
  • When it was released, the DB02 wasĀ around Ā£220 (I can't actually remember but it was around that price IIRC) but that was nearly ten years agoĀ and inflation has made your Ā£ buy less. They also expected to sell a lot of them as the DB01 that came before it was massively successful. They got their fingers burned however as it was a flop - theyĀ probably didn't make the money needed to justify its production and marketing,Ā despite it sharing parts with chassis that came before it. I suspect they've learned from this, and the priceĀ factors in their risk.Ā 
  • It's a true quirky Tamiya thing, not some Losi / AE knockoff like the DB01 and TRF201 were.Ā 

Overall I think we should be massively thankful that Tamiya has produced a newĀ buggy at all. It's a big gamble for them, or a big gamble for some people inside who probably had to work very hard and put a lot on the line to make it happen.Ā 

These are all valid points, but I paid NZD650 for a HB D418 which has all those things plus alloy shocks, alloy chassis and carbon fibre etc etc. Other companies produce full race kits for this sort of money so its just tooĀ expensive. 200 quid, 300USD, 400NZD etc makes sense though.

Compare to the TA08, that is basically all new as well but is cheaper, and TC always cost more than off road buggies.

• Like 1

I like that it's a unique buggy and has some character but if it turns out to have design flaws or the price is simply too high, I won't be able to justify a purchase.Ā  The Tamiya livestream seemed to indicate that their plastics were good enough that it made a carbon-fiber chassis unnecessary.Ā  That becomes moot if the car costs as much as a carbon-fiber based kit anyway.

One thing I wish is to go back to yellow dampers.Ā  Make it a unique Tamiya selling point.Ā  Instantly recognizable and fits in with the older buggies.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blista said:

I like that it's a unique buggy and has some character but if it turns out to have design flaws or the price is simply too high, I won't be able to justify a purchase.Ā  The Tamiya livestream seemed to indicate that their plastics were good enough that it made a carbon-fiber chassis unnecessary.Ā  That becomes moot if the car costs as much as a carbon-fiber based kit anyway.

One thing I wish is to go back to yellow dampers.Ā  Make it a unique Tamiya selling point.Ā  Instantly recognizable and fits in with the older buggies.

Very good point, yellow dampers are worth $50! But seriously, if they could anodise shocks to be yellow...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howards said:

what he said.

Ā 

I paid over ā‚¬1000 for each of my 511's when you factor in all of the parts required and the upgrade kits. šŸ˜² The SA is a relative bargain! šŸ˜‚

55 minutes ago, Blista said:

I like that it's a unique buggy and has some character but if it turns out to have design flaws or the price is simply too high, I won't be able to justify a purchase.Ā 

Yes, because of this I would never pre-order one unless it was for the shelf... I need to see how it actually goes before I commit to an entirely new (and adventurous) design. If it keeps breaking front shock components (for example) after a few jumps then it will be useless and either dropped by Tamiya or significantly redesigned.

• Like 1