Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

These are all valid points, but I paid NZD650 for a HB D418 which has all those things plus alloy shocks, alloy chassis and carbon fibre etc etc. Other companies produce full race kits for this sort of money so its just too expensive. 200 quid, 300USD, 400NZD etc makes sense though.

Compare to the TA08, that is basically all new as well but is cheaper, and TC always cost more than off road buggies.

These kits are designed to compete in a specific class for which there is an existing market of a measurable and predictable size. The numbers of people who will buy a TA08 are reasonably predictable; a known number of people bought the TA07, 6, 5, 4...Tamiya can be and needs to be due to competition in that class more aggressive on the pricing because they are fairly confident in what they will get back from it. 

Comparing it to a race kit is missing the point IMHO. Race kits are cheaper to produce than quirky experimental stuff, again because the volume of the market is understood and, let's face it, they are all identikit copies of each other, it's just a race to see who can make the same thing for the least money with very little pressure to spend money on experimentation. 

The TD4 is its own thing. It's  People will not buy it to race it*, they will buy it because it's fun to build and will be super robust and fun to modify. This means there is a premium that needs to be paid to cover the lower numbers they can sell and the risk of there being very little market at all. 

* unless they get a stock class out of it but I doubt that will happen in the US/Europe. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Howards said:

These kits are designed to compete in a specific class for which there is an existing market of a measurable and predictable size. The numbers of people who will buy a TA08 are reasonably predictable; a known number of people bought the TA07, 6, 5, 4...Tamiya can be and needs to be due to competition in that class more aggressive on the pricing because they are fairly confident in what they will get back from it. 

Comparing it to a race kit is missing the point IMHO. Race kits are cheaper to produce than quirky experimental stuff, again because the volume of the market is understood and, let's face it, they are all identikit copies of each other, it's just a race to see who can make the same thing for the least money with very little pressure to spend money on experimentation. 

The TD4 is its own thing. It's  People will not buy it to race it*, they will buy it because it's fun to build and will be super robust and fun to modify. This means there is a premium that needs to be paid to cover the lower numbers they can sell and the risk of there being very little market at all. 

* unless they get a stock class out of it but I doubt that will happen in the US/Europe. 

personally i'm gonna race the **** out of mine.... :)

and for comparison, B74 is £399, and the XB4 is £360. so in reality, the TD4 isn't that expensive.

This isn't to say that £320 isn't a lot of money. It is. It's more to say there are reasons why it's that much, and that they don't at this point have a whole lot of latitude to make it cheaper unless they make it more generic / boring but then they'd be selling a different thing entirely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matisse said:

personally i'm gonna race the **** out of mine.... :)

and for comparison, B74 is £399, and the XB4 is £360. so in reality, the TD4 isn't that expensive.

:o Xray cheaper than Associated? Around here the XB4C (or D) 2021 is 90€ more than the B74.1 :blink:

2 hours ago, Howards said:

The TD4 is its own thing. It's people will not buy it to race it*, they will buy it because it's fun to build and will be super robust and fun to modify. 

👆 THIS 👆

• Like 2

Just as a kind of aside - my NIB Xray XB4 2020 was only £300 in the UK.

I agree the TD4 will not be as competitive out of the box as an XB4 or B74, just adding the DF03 shocks (or the big bores) will add a lot of cost, then you've got the TA06 gear diffs, slipper, wheels, and probabaly the alloy suspension and steering bits on top of that - and it's probably still not going to be as competitive!

But there's quite a few people who just really like racing a Tamiya and there's no real option at the moment that can handle modern power.

• Like 1

I'm just happy to have a new Tamiya kit that I have no nostalgic attachment to that I can beat on outside.  I won't care if I trash this thing.  I'm gonna have fun doing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Just as a kind of aside - my NIB Xray XB4 2020 was only £300 in the UK.

I agree the TD4 will not be as competitive out of the box as an XB4 or B74, just adding the DF03 shocks (or the big bores) will add a lot of cost, then you've got the TA06 gear diffs, slipper, wheels, and probabaly the alloy suspension and steering bits on top of that - and it's probably still not going to be as competitive!

But there's quite a few people who just really like racing a Tamiya and there's no real option at the moment that can handle modern power.

Tbf though you don’t need to buy all the hop ups…..

4 minutes ago, matisse said:

Tbf though you don’t need to buy all the hop ups…..

Agreed - for a bit of light track use the slipper and some front UJs would do it.

I only mention the other bits as that's what the X-rays, Associated's, TLR and Schue cars already come with and the last few comments were comparing them and the costs. 

• Like 1

All this beefin' about cost and competitiveness, and I'm just sitting here happy to have a fun weird DURABLE Tamiya 4WD buggy coming next month. 

It's not another boring racecar that isn't fun to play with, that I'll have set up perfectly in five runs, that I'll only get the chance to race a few times before it's "obsolete"; it's the Tamiya buggy of '87 for '21. I'm going to play with it, club race with my usual (lack of) success, modify it, try all sorts of tuning, paint sexxxy bodies, do all the things that I buy Tamiya kits for.

As usual, Tamiya is selling us the fun side of RC.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Big Jon said:

It's the Tamiya buggy of '87 for '21.

Exactly how I'm viewing it!

• Like 4

next live focusses on diff and shock building, and answers the question of what diff ball sizes it takes.

Screenshot-2021-09-26-at-08.35.38.md.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, matisse said:

A story in three pictures....

Screenshot-2021-09-26-at-08.23.20.md.png

Screenshot-2021-09-26-at-08.23.33.md.png

Screenshot-2021-09-26-at-08.25.42.md.png

Think a Terra Conqueror would fit? Or any number of vintage buggy bodies?

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 1:04 PM, Howards said:

This isn't to say that £320 isn't a lot of money. It is. It's more to say there are reasons why it's that much, and that they don't at this point have a whole lot of latitude to make it cheaper unless they make it more generic / boring but then they'd be selling a different thing entirely. 

274,99 euro at Seidel Modellbau. But, he refuses to ship outside Germany it seems:huh:

Jede Firma die in die Niederlande verkaufen und liefern möchte, benötigt eine niederländische Webseite mit eigenen AGB und Produktseiten (jeweils in Landessprache), muss in den Niederlanden bei verschiedenen Behörden registriert sein, muss Abgaben für Elektroschrott (also für alle Elektroartikel) sowie Batterien (und Akkus) sowie für alle Produkt und Versandverpackungen bezahlen.

Ob die von Ihnen genannte Firma das macht, können Sie leicht feststellen. Vorhandene Registrierungen können auf den Behörden-Webseiten des Landes nachgeschlagen werden. Erfüllt der Verkäufer die Anforderungen nicht, sollten Sie dort besser nicht einkaufen.

Not sure it actually is all correct he mentions. Think he only needs to charge the proper VAT (21%) and have have a Dutch tax registration and that's it.

With video 5 at 3:52 i dont think you can run the battery like that the wires be close to the propeller drive shaft. i wonder why he didnt install the battery sideways as he used a shorty lipo.

I think in one of the tamiyausa videos, they say the release date is 10/10? Is this what everyone else is hearing? The initial post in this thread still says "TBD but maybe 4th quarter/late 2021".

19 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I think in one of the tamiyausa videos, they say the release date is 10/10? Is this what everyone else is hearing? The initial post in this thread still says "TBD but maybe 4th quarter/late 2021".

november i believe 

I hope they will also release the MS version, like the DB01 RR. If you buy the Super Avante with all the Hop Ups the price raises to 644 Euros... and without spare parts!

On 9/29/2021 at 7:46 PM, rwordenjr said:

november i believe 

Tower claims it will shop in October.  With all the cargo containers sitting off the west coast of the US and these kits likely being in one of them, I doubt it ships this month. But hey, they just got some Thunder Dragons in so here's the hoping.

9 hours ago, tillmon said:

I hope they will also release the MS version, like the DB01 RR. If you buy the Super Avante with all the Hop Ups the price raises to 644 Euros... and without spare parts!

Big T's release candance for MS / R / RR / MSX is very slow normally - I'm thinking about waiting, but it will be a long time to wait IMO

Edited by BuggyGuy
Spelling
  • Like 1

Apologies if this has already been linked. I found it a useful 'one-stop shop' with lists of hop-ups, suggested ESC, motor and a demonstration of battery removal.

Tamiya USA promo via Tamiyablog

Just where will the battery wires go though? It looks pretty tight in there!

I have been out of the hobby for several years but I really believe this is the ugliest model I have ever seen, and I will repeat it until the end of the universe, even if this idea cost me the ban (I was administrator) from the Facebook group Tamiya Legends by the other administrators.

Max

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kontemax said:

I have been out of the hobby for several years but I really believe this is the ugliest model I have ever seen, and I will repeat it until the end of the universe, even if this idea cost me the ban (I was administrator) from the Facebook group Tamiya Legends by the other administrators.

Max

Literally the Cornelius Evazan of Tamiyaclub. 🤣😉😜

• Like 1