Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

:angry: After sitting for three days in the warehouse a few miles from me with no update, status has now moved from pending to delayed.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Darby Bash said:

:angry: After sitting for three days in the warehouse a few miles from me with no update, status has now moved from pending to delayed.

My tracking read both until it was dropped on my porch. FedEx tracking is bad. USPS will at least update to "out for delivery."

Being in the UK I can agree that Hermes (and Yodel!) are the worst. I’m surprised at FedEx though… I though they were supposed to be like the pinnacle in the US?

1 hour ago, Cynan said:

Being in the UK I can agree that Hermes (and Yodel!) are the worst. I’m surprised at FedEx though… I though they were supposed to be like the pinnacle in the US?

Until Amazon, yes. And no. FedEx follows a model where an individual “owns” their routes, and either drive themselves or hire drivers. They are essentially franchisees, which means lighter oversight from FedEx. I almost got knocked off my bike by a driver who proceeded to take his hands off his wheel to flip me the double bird. More recently, I watched a driver make an illegal left out of a parking lot, run over a low lane divider so he could yell racist things at a woman in a hijab. Both times I reported the address, time of day, and truck number.

On the other hand, UPS and Amazon drivers are employees with more oversight of their timeliness and behavior. UPS’s use of GIS to make routes more efficient is impressive.

In TD4 news, my previously back ordered CVDs have shipped (FedEx) and should be here Monday. In theory.

• Like 1

Recently finished my build... And what a fun build it was. Unlike typical competition buggies you never really know how it goes together so each step feels like a small reveal.

Everything goes together really well. Some thoughts:

- I had issues with some brushless motors fitting, so choose a suitable motor.

- plastics are nice. I think it will hold up well.

- I think working on this car isn't going to be the easiest thing... For example, I've found it a bit complex just to get the great cover off to adjust the pinion mesh.

- ball diffs are quality!

- battery access isn't that bad. Getting the body clip on the link that goes to the bellcranks is probably the most fiddly part. I used a paint marker to mark the direction of the hole to make it easier.

- shock setup is surprisingly decent out of the box. I think a slightly heavier oil would be nice for the track though.

Sharing some pics of my boring boxart paint...

IMG_20211205_031054.jpg

IMG_20211205_031238.jpg

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, BloodClod said:

Recently finished my build... And what a fun build it was. Unlike typical competition buggies you never really know how it goes together so each step feels like a small reveal.

- I think working on this car isn't going to be the easiest thing... For example, I've found it a bit complex just to get the great cover off to adjust the pinion mesh.

- battery access isn't that bad. Getting the body clip on the link that goes to the bellcranks is probably the most fiddly part. I used a paint marker to mark the direction of the hole to make it easier.

- shock setup is surprisingly decent out of the box. I think a slightly heavier oil would be nice for the track though.

IMG_20211205_031054.jpg

IMG_20211205_031238.jpg

Nice. Looks really good!

I took the gear cover off and the motor out earlier to solder up the wires and then put it back in. I didn’t find it that tricky? The motor coming out and in just required it to be inserted in a particular angle so the connection tabs did catch.

Which motors did you have trouble fitting?

For info. purposes, the Tamiya brushless motors fit and Hobbywing V10s fit that I’ve seen so far.

7 hours ago, Cynan said:

Nice. Looks really good!

I took the gear cover off and the motor out earlier to solder up the wires and then put it back in. I didn’t find it that tricky? The motor coming out and in just required it to be inserted in a particular angle so the connection tabs did catch.

Which motors did you have trouble fitting?

Hey there, thanks for sharing your experience. I removed the 2 screws holding the gear cover on and tried to wiggle the cover off the assembled car but found it was obstructed by different parts of the chassis. I found it easier just to first loosen up the screws holding on the bottom rear assembly (the part that includes the lower half of the rear gearbox. Did you manage to remove the gear cover by only removing the 2 screws? I may just have to try harder. lol

I couldn't fit a scorpion motor as there was no way to position the tabs to fit. I ended up putting in an old Tekin motor I had - but even that only went in one way and with the tightest of margins so I don't think I can even alter the gearing with this motor. I saw some pics of the Hobbywing motors being used. I may pick one up down the road. :)

One question for the Tamiya experts here. The Super Avante comes with clear Tamiya shock oil and I understand this to be rated #900 oil. My question is whether this roughly translates to 900cst? I want to try some heavier oil so knowing the stock setting would save me some time (and oil...) :D

9 hours ago, BloodClod said:

Finally got mine and started assembly today.  Was your rear diff loose in the housing?  Finding that mine has some play both side to side and a tiny bit front to back.  Not sure if this is normal or not?

I only had to remove the two screws and sort of manoeuvre the great cover a certain way, but it does come out. I found there is room for motor tabs in one position so the motor needs some jiggling to get in. Best done before the bottom blade is fitted but it can be done after.

DCD49183-1B3E-4414-81C5-C374B2F2476F.thumb.jpeg.ed9b211b5392e1fab2c86439a28e3487.jpeg81446260-8221-4EF0-92FA-19276DA069B5.thumb.jpeg.5230ce82a3f958943fc43f76d18d491d.jpeg

My rear diff did move a bit before the bottom plate went on but now it’s fine. Did you out the shins in?

14 hours ago, BloodClod said:

IMG_20211205_031054.jpg

IMG_20211205_031238.jpg

Looks really cool. I’m even liking box art more now I see it in the flesh. What wheels and tyres are you using? They look more like touring car than buggy?

5 hours ago, Cynan said:

My rear diff did move a bit before the bottom plate went on but now it’s fine. Did you out the shins in?

Yeah shims are in.  It's the weirdest thing.  There's not much to that step so really scratching my head.  Once the diff is together it's just the bearing and two shims on each side that locate the diff in the housing.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:26 PM, BloodClod said:

IMG_20211205_031054.jpg

IMG_20211205_031238.jpg

That actually looks ready good. Those wheels and tyres are far better looking than the box stock ones. 👍

James.

20 hours ago, Darby Bash said:

Yeah shims are in.  It's the weirdest thing.  There's not much to that step so really scratching my head.  Once the diff is together it's just the bearing and two shims on each side that locate the diff in the housing.

Hi sorry, to clarify I fitted extra shims - part 53588. There is play otherwise. Though I assume you do need some to allow loosening the diff. in situ.

Two motor wires to solder and then waiting on parts! :(

B318CB5A-7B6A-442E-B6CA-0CE55A3577EB.jpeg

• Like 2

I just started my build, and as others have mentioned,  the steering servo does have quite a bit of side to side movement. I know there is an aluminum hop up for the servo mounts and I am sure it will help, but I think the main issue is that each of the servo mounts are attached to the chassis with only one screw.

I printed out new servo mounts with 2 screws each that attach the servo to the frame.  There are now 4 points of contact with the frame. The servo is now pretty much solid.

20211206_174450.jpg

20211206_174625.jpg

20211206_181522.jpg

20211206_182118.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So cool. The TD4 is out now for a few days and people already start drilling the chassis making Tamiyas weak spots done. Go on guys!

:wub:

• Haha 1