Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

5 hours ago, Collin said:

The original part is  plastic cup with a m3 lockiung nut, if i remember right. so m3 most likely.

Yep. You can use the Durga diff nut housing with an m3 locking nut wedged in it rather than the m2.5 the Durga uses if you don't want to fork out for the hop up.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I've got a 10.5, 2s lipo, and fairly tight slipper as well... what pinion are you using? and what would you deem a "hard" run lol?

29t pinion. I'm using a Hobbywing Bandit 10.5.

My "test track" is my front yard, short grass, bumpy dirt, and some tree roots. No jumps, but the cars get airborne on some of the bumps and roots. I'd call it medium traction, with lots of acceleration and braking. I run out there enough that you can see exactly where I run, so it's just like running on a track.

I was about halfway through the pack when the rear bevel set started clicking; the car lost front drive shortly after that. The teeth on the gears were folded over, almost like they had been meshed too loosely, even though I shimmed the play out of them at assembly.

The bevels don't seem to be reinforced plastic, rather, they're on the same parts tree as the wing mounts and battery boxes.

I've got a 10.5, 2s lipo, and fairly tight slipper as well... what pinion are you using? and what would you deem a "hard" run lol?

My "test track" is my front yard, short grass, bumpy dirt, and some tree roots. No jumps, but the cars get airborne on some of the bumps and roots. I'd call it medium traction, with lots of acceleration and braking. I run out there enough that you can see exactly where I run, so it's just like running on a track.

I was about halfway through the pack when the rear bevel set started clicking; the car lost front drive shortly after that. The teeth on the gears were folded over, almost like they had been meshed too loosely, even though I shimmed the play out of them at assembly.

The bevels don't seem to be reinforced plastic, rather, they're on the same parts tree as the wing mounts and battery boxes.

5 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Oh okay. I’ve got Hobbywing 10.5 justock on 30t pinion so probably slower than yours. As you said, seems like too loose and then slipped and stripped 😥

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:10 AM, Collin said:

hi. I had my first try with dy rit pink yesterday on some old rims. I will give it a try, using clorix bleacher / water mix and report.

After 12hrs bleachbath the rim is a tiny bit more bright now, exactly that nuance I dyed them to intens. Hurray : )

• Like 2

Still finishing off the shell for mine so I’ve only run ‘er on a stand for testing, you’re all making me nervous for a real world run. Best try locate some gearing spares ahead of time.

• Like 1

If anyone been considering one but on the fence, I just put mine up in the classifieds + full running kit.  Tons of fun, just not getting used.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cynan said:

Still finishing off the shell for mine so I’ve only run ‘er on a stand for testing, you’re all making me nervous for a real world run. Best try locate some gearing spares ahead of time.

I genuinely think that my problems could have been avoided with a looser slipper setting, although any modern 4WD buggy should be able to handle a 5.5/LiHV on carpet. 

With moderate power, the driveline is probably problem free. 

• Like 2

FAE0F666-1AA0-4A06-AD93-6B337D70CB79.JPG

Do u think I can get away with only installing these at the rear & leave the front stock ? 10.5T + slipper + 30T pinion.

Sorta glad I held off pulling the trigger on one of these now. Looks like this issue might be the famous Achilles heel that crops up in Tamiya buggies now and then. Cautiously watching the outcome and compiling failure rates/stats...

52 minutes ago, joeling said:

FAE0F666-1AA0-4A06-AD93-6B337D70CB79.JPG

Do u think I can get away with only installing these at the rear & leave the front stock ? 10.5T + slipper + 30T pinion.

if you have them, fit them i would say

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 3:23 PM, Darby Bash said:

If anyone been considering one but on the fence, I just put mine up in the classifieds + full running kit.  Tons of fun, just not getting used.

Good luck with the sale. I was just about to do the same but I’ll hold off until you’ve had some time to sell yours. Mine is basically unrun apart from across the hall.

Something just doesn’t work for me. The drivetrain is silky smooth, I have fr/r universals and diff nut hopups though only rear fitted along with the slipper. I also have the gear to do the TD2 servo mount. 
it currently has a black sport tuned motor in it which I don’t really want to sell with it but it’s such a faff to strip it out!!! Mind you if I’m going to delay selling I have time to do it.

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Good luck with the sale. I was just about to do the same but I’ll hold off until you’ve had some time to sell yours. Mine is basically unrun apart from across the hall.

Something just doesn’t work for me. The drivetrain is silky smooth, I have fr/r universals and diff nut hopups though only rear fitted along with the slipper. I also have the gear to do the TD2 servo mount. 
it currently has a black sport tuned motor in it which I don’t really want to sell with it but it’s such a faff to strip it out!!! Mind you if I’m going to delay selling I have time to do it.

Thanks for the consideration- I'm also in the US so don't think our sales will really conflict.  It was a neat car, I think I was just more drawn to the building part than the running part.

• Like 2

For me, it is the fun of building and ogling them on the shelves. I may do a runner but for racing or bashing, I have others non Tamiya branded kits which will unlikely see any shelf except maybe to keep 1 for historical display when I retire them. However, for Tamiya and to a certain extent re re K cars, I will make shelf spaces available and probably put it a note in my will if my kids want to see my money, they will have them on display :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Weight distribution

IMG-1082.jpg

IMG-1081.PNG

42/58 - is this typical for a modern 4WD buggy ?

• Like 8

20 hours ago, joeling said:

Weight distribution

IMG-1082.jpg

IMG-1081.PNG

42/58 - is this typical for a modern 4WD buggy ?

Where is the yellow chassis from?

It's a SE variant with a factory painted body that sells for more. However, I am not so happy with the factory painter (facepalm)

IMG-0946.jpg

No backing paint

IMG-0947.jpg

Really ?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, joeling said:

It's a SE variant with a factory painted body that sells for more. However, I am not so happy with the factory painter (facepalm)

IMG-0946.jpg

No backing paint

IMG-0947.jpg

Really ?

Don’t think Tamiya pre painted bodies are backed? Agree that the masking is 💩. Bit like mine🤫

spacer.pngNew body for the TD4 super Avante from Team Azarashi… 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Leckster said:

This I Like. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leckster said:

Nice! Azarashi bodies are really good. I spotted this on insta. 

Not normally a fan of the Super Dragon but I think this looks pretty good. 

• Like 1

Did some cooking to match wheel color to the body :

IMG-1311.jpg

5637E159-5686-4175-9BBE-AC719B2F71A6.JPG

IMG-1316.jpg

IMG-1310.jpg

The RIT Lemon Yellow + 15 minutes of slow simmer seems to be a fairly close match to the PS6

• Like 6