Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

Official TD4 carbon damper stay incoming (on the August 22 release list) - looks like it comes with new wing mounts as well. Part number #22061.

• Like 4

My son is almost finished with his TD4 Super Avante build. Chassis and electronics are pretty much done...just needs to do the body/decals (i'll paint the driver for him at a later date) and she'll be ready to rip. Was originally planning on having him use one of my old LRP ESC's and a Trinity P2K brushed motor that I had, but for some reason the motor was dead after sitting in my spares box for 16 years. So, I bit the bullet and we went brushless. Got him a Hobbywing EZRun Max10 brushless combo with the 3652 3300KV motor, but man is there very limited space in the chassis for everything when running a full size 7.2V 5000Mah NiMH pack. Looking forward to seeing how the whole setup runs. 

IMG_9338.thumb.jpg.819542a0007693d609065c7a17af4315.jpg

I think our first order of business in mods for this chassis is going to be addressing the round about steering and limited space from the battery. Gonna relocate the steering servo to the right side of the chassis, but don't want to use the stock servo mount because it moves the servo more towards the center of the chassis. I'd like to keep it as far right as possible to keep room in the middle for a shorty LiPo mounted longitudinally. Have seen someone that had theirs set up like that and it looked like a well balanced setup. Anyone running a setup like that and care to share what servo mounts they used?

Also...I noticed while my son was building that the top duct going to the motor looks to have a small mount for a fan already designed into it. Has anyone mounted a cooling fan in there yet? Wondering what fan fits since I have't seen a specific fan kit marketed for the TD2/TD4. Seeing as the motor is pretty buried at the bottom of the chassis, a cooling fan would seem like a good idea to keep motor temps at bay.

• Like 4

Oh, and on a side note...hadn't seen it mentioned on here yet unless I just missed it, but it looks like Tamiya now has an alloy bevel gear Hop-up set listed specifically for the TD4. Is part number 22059. Tamiya USA currently has them listed as unavailable, but RC Mart shows them as in stock...
https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-td4-20t-metal-bevel-gears-4pcs-22059-00119480

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 4:31 PM, EsotericRC said:

My son is almost finished with his TD4 Super Avante build. Chassis and electronics are pretty much done...just needs to do the body/decals (i'll paint the driver for him at a later date) and she'll be ready to rip. Was originally planning on having him use one of my old LRP ESC's and a Trinity P2K brushed motor that I had, but for some reason the motor was dead after sitting in my spares box for 16 years. So, I bit the bullet and we went brushless. Got him a Hobbywing EZRun Max10 brushless combo with the 3652 3300KV motor, but man is there very limited space in the chassis for everything when running a full size 7.2V 5000Mah NiMH pack. Looking forward to seeing how the whole setup runs. 

IMG_9338.thumb.jpg.819542a0007693d609065c7a17af4315.jpg

I think our first order of business in mods for this chassis is going to be addressing the round about steering and limited space from the battery. Gonna relocate the steering servo to the right side of the chassis, but don't want to use the stock servo mount because it moves the servo more towards the center of the chassis. I'd like to keep it as far right as possible to keep room in the middle for a shorty LiPo mounted longitudinally. Have seen someone that had theirs set up like that and it looked like a well balanced setup. Anyone running a setup like that and care to share what servo mounts they used?

Also...I noticed while my son was building that the top duct going to the motor looks to have a small mount for a fan already designed into it. Has anyone mounted a cooling fan in there yet? Wondering what fan fits since I have't seen a specific fan kit marketed for the TD2/TD4. Seeing as the motor is pretty buried at the bottom of the chassis, a cooling fan would seem like a good idea to keep motor temps at bay.

The TD2 has the battery the opposite way to the TD4 but mounts the servo on the opposite side of the chassis the TD4 - so the stock or hopup servo mount should be fine for clearance of a shorty or full length pack perpendicular to the stock TD4 setup 

I've used the hopup and stock mounts on TD4 build for a few cars now - the best way I've found to reduce servo movent is to use servo tape between the servo and the side of the chassis with a alloy hopup mounts. Any improvement on this requires drilling holes through the chassis and using a third party / improv mount secured by 4 screws.

Build you've posted looks great with the yellow chassis!

What would be the best pinion size range for the TD4 with slipper clutch? Planned motor is either 12 turns brushed or 3000kv brushless.

The manual says 16-31T. But that range is a bit wide. Any suggestions? I could get a set with pinions from 17T - 22T.

Running would be on short grass and dirt but no high speed.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:19 PM, BuggyGuy said:

The TD2 has the battery the opposite way to the TD4 but mounts the servo on the opposite side of the chassis the TD4 - so the stock or hopup servo mount should be fine for clearance of a shorty or full length pack perpendicular to the stock TD4 setup 

I've used the hopup and stock mounts on TD4 build for a few cars now - the best way I've found to reduce servo movent is to use servo tape between the servo and the side of the chassis with a alloy hopup mounts. Any improvement on this requires drilling holes through the chassis and using a third party / improv mount secured by 4 screws.

Build you've posted looks great with the yellow chassis!

Thanks! Yeah, if mounting a shorty lipo transverse across the chassis in the TD2 location, the Tamiya HopUp servo mounts would work. However,  i'd like to try to mount a shorty lipo longitudinally, just pushed further forward, kinda like this pic I found online:

IMG_9340.thumb.JPG.debfefceac841675b13cd5f7c32998a0.JPG

While my son was assembling his TD4, I did test the fitment of the stock plastic mounts on the right side of the chassis. Since the location of the TD2 servo mounting holes looks to be a bit outboard of where the TD4 mounting holes are on the left side of the chassis, you can't mount the stock servo mounts with the mounts turned outward because they hit the side of the chassis. Would have to have them turned inward, which places the steering servo into part of the space that the battery would take up. Looks like I'd have to run just straight post mounts up form the holes in the chassis. Or some kind of shorter L-shaped mounts. Gonna have to play with it and find some aluminum mounts that will work. I'll be sure to post whatever I come up with. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Howards said:

^ that looks like a weapon. 

Agreed! Not seen a carbon plate like that used across the bottom of the front shock mount on any other builds either. 

@EsotericRC Where did you find that image?!

14 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Agreed! Not seen a carbon plate like that used across the bottom of the front shock mount on any other builds either. 

@EsotericRC Where did you find that image?!

Found it in a post in the Tamiya Legends FB group. Forgot the name of the poster, but he was calling it a TD4 TRF build...

• Thanks 1

My son finished up his TD4 the other day and finally got to run it on a local baseball field (because we don't have any dirt tracks even remotely near us)...IMG_9350.thumb.JPG.daab1408c508d1ea3c108986a675e9d9.JPG

IMG_9355.thumb.JPG.5deee39d56db6ea1fae39d1901c294f5.JPG

Needless to say, he loved it. Loved the entire process of building it then getting to flog the thing he built. I think he's hooked...keeps asking me what model he can build next. I think i've created a monster. Hah.
Will say that I'm pretty impressed with the way the TD4 handles out of the box, and with the Hobbywing Max10/3652 3300KV Brushless combo we put in it, it definitely has some pep. 

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, EsotericRC said:

because we don't have any dirt tracks even remotely near us

No we do not. There was the Nuclear RC track in Parkton but I think that's been gone for some time.

3 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

No we do not. There was the Nuclear RC track in Parkton but I think that's been gone for some time.

Yeah, I found a list online recently of tracks in Maryland, but when I tried calling the listed phone numbers almost all of them have been disconnected. Nuclear was definitely one of them. Bummer.
Even when I was really into RC back in the 80's, there weren't a whole lot...and the ones that did exist were a pretty far drive from me, especially considering that I was young and my Mom had to drive me there. Heh. Hence why i'm currently building a small dirt track in the backyard...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EsotericRC said:

Bummer.
Even when I was really into RC back in the 80's, there weren't a whole lot...and the ones that did exist were a pretty far drive from me, especially considering that I was young and my Mom had to drive me there. Heh.

I was in the exact same boat. I seem to recall an indoor carpet track in Cockeysville (Cockeysville Astrodome maybe?) where the old Cockeysville underpass/tunnel was.

underpass3.jpg

22 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I was in the exact same boat. I seem to recall an indoor carpet track in Cockeysville (Cockeysville Astrodome maybe?) where the old Cockeysville underpass/tunnel was.

Yup, though I never used it, I do remember there being an indoor track in that area. I think it was somehow related to the old Gary Nixon Enterprises (hobby shop) that was in the area as well. Gary Nixon was an AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer that rode for Triumph (and later Kawasaki) and was a successful motorcycle racer in the 60's and 70's. I remember going into his shop  to buy parts for my Frog and Supershot in the late 80's and he had motorcycle racing memorabilia hanging on the wall above the main counter, including his old racing leathers and some old motorcycle parts. I remember it being a pretty big store, but I think the RC stuff was only by the front counter. Don't really remember what was in the rest of the store. Or maybe he had a track inside of the store?! Was so long ago...Can't really remember now...

But I do recall...I used to hate driving into that underpass as a kid. Rumor had it that several people had died in the underpass over the years, from drowning when the river that ran under York Rd closeby (Beaver Run or something like that) would overflow and the underpass would flood during heavy storms. Always thought it was a creepy place. But I digress...

2 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

as somehow related to the old Gary Nixon Enterprises (hobby shop) that was in the area as well. Gary Nixon was an AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer that rode for Triumph (and later Kawasaki) and was a successful motorcycle racer in the 60's and 70's. I remember going into his shop  to buy parts for my Frog and Supershot in the late 80's and he had motorcycle racing memorabilia hanging on the wall above the main counter, including his old racing leathers and some old motorcycle parts. I remember it being a pretty big store, but I think the RC stuff was only by the front counter.

I vaguely remember that. My grandfather usually went to Yorktown hobbies down in Timonium for his model boat supplies but he took me in there (as well as a hobby shop over in Stoneleigh) when I was on the hunt for the recently discontinued Wild Willy.

2 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

But I do recall...I used to hate driving into that underpass as a kid. Rumor had it that several people had died in the underpass over the years, from drowning when the river that ran under York Rd closeby (Beaver Run or something like that) would overflow and the underpass would flood during heavy storms. Always thought it was a creepy place. But I digress...

Same here. I was not crazy about it. I do seem to recall someone drowning in it too (during Hurricane Agnes?) It was so weird being there, smack in the middle of Old York Road, especially after they stopped running trains over it (which I think was its whole purpose to begin with). 

Did you ever go to the RC show they used to have yearly at the Timonium Fairgrounds (MARC show, I think?)? I got some nice deals on a NIB Fox and FAV there as nobody wanted that "old" discontinued stuff back then.

16 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I vaguely remember that. My grandfather usually went to Yorktown hobbies down in Timonium for his model boat supplies but he took me in there (as well as a hobby shop over in Stoneleigh) when I was on the hunt for the recently discontinued Wild Willy.

Same here. I was not crazy about it. I do seem to recall someone drowning in it too (during Hurricane Agnes?) It was so weird being there, smack in the middle of Old York Road, especially after they stopped running trains over it (which I think was its whole purpose to begin with). 

Did you ever go to the RC show they used to have yearly at the Timonium Fairgrounds (MARC show, I think?)? I got some nice deals on a NIB Fox and FAV there as nobody wanted that "old" discontinued stuff back then.

Yup, I frequented Yorktown Hobbies, BITD, and the place in Stoneleigh was Stoneleigh Cycle and Hobby. Stoneleigh was actually my first hobby shop...where I bought both my Frog and my Supershot in the early to mid 80's. I think I bought my first Powell Peralta skateboard there first, and that's how I realized they carried hobby grade RC stuff. 

And yeah...I used to LOVE going to the MARC show at the Timonium Fairgrounds! Looked forward to it every year, and always found good deals there. I bought a Graupner HydroSpeed boat there one year that I recently found at my parents' house too. Planning on restoring that at some point as well...

Swapped out the stock rear damper stay for the carbon stay today, along with swapping out the ball diff for geared diffs and metal bevel gears. The geared diff is much smoother in my opinion and works very well.

CBF4A517-A197-4D2F-9633-EF6A8564E197.jpeg

4780987B-C46B-4141-BECF-73CEF0768538.jpeg

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Cynan said:

Swapped out the stock rear damper stay for the carbon stay today, along with swapping out the ball diff for geared diffs and metal bevel gears. The geared diff is much smoother in my opinion and works very well.

Nice - is it keyed to the rear bulkhead? 

Also; 5.5T motor! How does the TD4 cope with that kind of power? I've not been able to get the metal bevel gears yet, but guess they are essential with that setup?

The wing mounts alone make the carbon tower worth it. I don't know why Tamiya thought that body clips were the way to go.

• Like 1

The wing mounts alone make the carbon tower worth it. I don't know why Tamiya thought that body clips were the way to go.

The carbon stay is not keyed to the bulk head. What you see in the official part photos of the stay that look like it’s keyed is in fact recesses for the screws.

It’s a bit too fast with this motor to be honest! But it sure is a blast! The stock gears were holding up remarkably well but I was always worried.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cynan said:

That carbon rear damper stay looks great, and I like that the included wing mounts have retaining screws instead of the body clips. I guess now you can actually use the Tamiya blue wing screw hop-up. Heh. I recently started putting together a list of the hop-ups i'm gonna buy for my son's TD4....guess I need to add the carbon rear damper stay to that list. 

Definitely agree with you on the gear diffs. When my son built his TD4, I opted for the gear diffs as well....mainly because the T-nut hop-up kits were unavailable at the time, but am pretty happy with that decision. They seem to work well. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EsotericRC said:

I guess now you can actually use the Tamiya blue wing screw hop-up. Heh.

Yeah definitely! I was quite confused why those were listed as a hop up with no way to use them before.

It's not 100% finished...still have to paint the driver, install the ESC & Rx, obtain a few more 'Hop-Up' parts, and find better tires...but, I finally "cut & stuck" my decals.  Obviously, I wanted anything BUT "box art".

20220830_195839.jpg

20220830_195910.jpg

• Like 4