Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

Talking about performance, how well does it run?

I know it's not a modern competition race buggy, but how well will it perform against other Tamiya buggies, I'm assuming much better than the classic buggies. I'm also guessing better than my DF03? How would it be against the TB02BR?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TamiyaD said:

Indeed, I like it very much! I know that most of you will strongly disagree but I also love the wheel fenders... 

Plus, the great thing about the fender design is that you can remove them, and reinstall them, whenever you want - leave the fenders attached to the 'middle' mounting pieces, and it's the mounting pieces, themselves, that you remove/reinstall.

As for the inboard suspension, I don't ever undo it - it's permanently installed.  In my TD4, the battery doesn't go there...that's where the ESC & receiver are.  Instead of a full-length pack going there, I use a shorty pack in the back.  Since the TD4 & TD2 share the same chassis, and both kits come with the same parts for that area, I affixed the flat "cover" piece on one side, and the other side piece into a "swiveling door".  I know I'm not the first to do this, as it was someone else who came up with the idea, and posted it earlier in the forum.  I can't take any photos to show (the photo I posted was taken months ago, before I moved...and, I still haven't finished unpacking), but, if your scroll back, I'm sure you'll find the post for the originator of the idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Talking about performance, how well does it run?

I know it's not a modern competition race buggy, but how well will it perform against other Tamiya buggies, I'm assuming much better than the classic buggies. I'm also guessing better than my DF03? How would it be against the TB02BR?

It's good - it has a quite small setup window in some ways compared to the competition stuff, but it's certainly better than any TT02 derivative and it's not as fragile as the DF03.

I've raced the TD2 and TD4 and did not come last by a long shot.

The rear hubs are a weak point, I've had to switch to XV01 hubs on mine.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

The stock plastic XV-01 hubs...or aluminum?  Also...front, rear, or both?

1 hour ago, BuggyGuy said:

It's good - it has a quite small setup window in some ways compared to the competition stuff, but it's certainly better than any TT02 derivative and it's not as fragile as the DF03.

I've raced the TD2 and TD4 and did not come last by a long shot.

Sorry, when you say you raced the TD4, what were you up against?

Genuinely interested as I quite fancy getting one (not for racing however, so not sure why I'm asking :rolleyes:)

3 hours ago, Panther6834 said:

The stock plastic XV-01 hubs...or aluminum?  Also...front, rear, or both?

If 2-4 degrees rear toe is ok for your track then you can use the standard or carbon reinforced XV01 rear hub - but you do need to use a shorter rear driveshaft for this (CVD or dogbone). Another advantage of this is that you can use a competition rear wheels from Schumacher/Associated/Kyosho/Xray etc

I've just put 1 degree aluminium TRF201 hubs on mine in reverse to get 1 degree rear toe total (I have the aluminium adjustable RR mount set to 2 degrees) as I felt that 2 degrees was too much for the high grip carpet at my local track.

Up front everything is strong enough. But you can fit any XV01 or DB01 type caster block to allow you to play with caster. I have 6 degree blocks on my TD2 to give 31 degrees of front caster (TD2 kickup is 25 degrees)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Sorry, when you say you raced the TD4, what were you up against?

Genuinely interested as I quite fancy getting one (not for racing however, so not sure why I'm asking :rolleyes:)

I normally run a B6.4 - I only really run the Tamiya's every other meeting or so to see how close my changes and modifications are getting them to the rest of the field.

Club is mainly Associated and Schumacher, with the odd Xray, Yok, and Losi thrown in

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

I normally run a B6.4 - I only really run the Tamiya's every other meeting or so to see how close my changes and modifications are getting them to the rest of the field.

Club is mainly Associated and Schumacher, with the odd Xray, Yok, and Losi thrown in

Your track still has people racing TLR?  lol.  Seriously, I used to race a 22 5.0 AC...but, now, it's as if Losi/TLR is focusing 99.9% on dirt/clay, and completely ignoring carpet/asphalt.  Plus, since they're "betting the farm" on Dakotah, and have (essentially) dropped all their other top drivers, most lower-level drivers have switched to 'anyone else'.  For the rear hubs, and front knuckles, I'll check them out.

22 hours ago, moffman said:

"Devastating abortion" really??  Strong views on what is a light hearted hobby and a couple of vehicles that may or may not polarise opinions! Are they that important? Probably not? I didn't really like the body on the super avante myself but did it bother me that much? Definitely not! Each to their own I suppose!

Ahahahah I assumed that my serious and half-joking comment would generate hype and scandal.
The bodywork of the model is indisputably ugly, anyone who knows me knows my positions regarding beauty and ugliness, my language was deliberately hyperbolic and emphatic.

Max

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Panther6834 said:

Your track still has people racing TLR?  lol.  Seriously, I used to race a 22 5.0 AC...but, now, it's as if Losi/TLR is focusing 99.9% on dirt/clay, and completely ignoring carpet/asphalt.  Plus, since they're "betting the farm" on Dakotah, and have (essentially) dropped all their other top drivers, most lower-level drivers have switched to 'anyone else'.  For the rear hubs, and front knuckles, I'll check them out.

Yeah there's not many TLR, the only 2 at the club I run at are WillSpeed RF2/RF3 conversions - which make them pretty awesome carpet cars: https://www.willspeed.co.uk/products/tlr-22-5-0-conversion

17 hours ago, TamiyaD said:

OK... But what about the chassis and it's performance? 

Performance seems ok, the model is fast and the suspension work is efficient in my opinion.
It's ugly, simply.

:D

Max

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Yeah there's not many TLR, the only 2 at the club I run at are WillSpeed RF2/RF3 conversions - which make them pretty awesome carpet cars: https://www.willspeed.co.uk/products/tlr-22-5-0-conversion

That be great...IF I even had a carpet track near me.  Unfortunately, several months before moving to Las Vegas, the only carpet track - 702 Speedway - closed.  Adding "insult to injury", having already decided to 'dump' TLR, I bought/built a new carrier buggy (XRAY XB2C), and even that's 'useless' now.  I'm going to be selling the 22 5.0...and, as for the XB2C, I haven't decided whether to sell it, or use it as a basher.  If course, if I were to sell both, I should get enough to buy an Egress Black Edition. 😁

8 hours ago, Panther6834 said:

That be great...IF I even had a carpet track near me.  Unfortunately, several months before moving to Las Vegas, the only carpet track - 702 Speedway - closed.  Adding "insult to injury", having already decided to 'dump' TLR, I bought/built a new carrier buggy (XRAY XB2C), and even that's 'useless' now.  I'm going to be selling the 22 5.0...and, as for the XB2C, I haven't decided whether to sell it, or use it as a basher.  If course, if I were to sell both, I should get enough to buy an Egress Black Edition. 😁

There must be some outdoor dirt tracks in Las Vegas? I would think the Super Avante would be more suited to those. 

On 3/2/2023 at 10:45 PM, kontemax said:

You really have to be an absolute evil genius to design such a historic, ugly, devastating abortion.
The perfect synthesis of wrong choices, bad taste, cognitive inconsistency and total inability to distinguish between good and evil mixed with an infinite arrogance in wanting to try to do a job of which one has no ability, competence, art, awareness, ability of judgment, intuition, taste and enlightenment.
There is no color scheme that can save or beautify this monstrosity.

Max

Chill dude - it's a big kid's toy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

There must be some outdoor dirt tracks in Las Vegas? I would think the Super Avante would be more suited to those. 

There are two tracks - one asphalt, one dirt -  at Silver Bowl Park...but, the last time I was there (approx 2yrs ago), it was in such disrepair, and looked like it hadn't had any maintenance in several years.  This is a public park.  The plastic lining the sides was all but gone, and it was close to impossible to make out a good portion of the track layout.  Even so, I do know a number of racers that still go there to practice...and, at least from what I've heard (I have no proof, yet), The track has supposedly been redone somewhat recently.  I'll need to check it out.  I REALLY miss the NorCal Hobbies track (San Jose, CA).

Evidently, there used to be a couple of great tracks at Gene Woods Racing Experience (Sunset Blvd)...a med-size track, and a large track, but the only thing still operational (at least, as far as I'm aware) is the go-kart track...the RC tracks look like they haven't been used in several years.  Truth be told, I'm not even sure the go-kart side of the business is operating right now, as I haven't ever seen any go-karts on the track in the 3.5 months that I've been living here.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, Panther6834 said:

I REALLY miss the NorCal Hobbies track (San Jose, CA).

Was that the track formerly known as Innovations Raceway? Near Highway 87 on Julian St? 

Also, don’t know why it’s making me tap out my response in the quote. TC has formatting issues on mobile.

8 hours ago, BelknapCrater said:
On 3/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, Panther6834 said:

I REALLY miss the NorCal Hobbies track (San Jose, CA).

Was that the track formerly known as Innovations Raceway? Near Highway 87 on Julian St? 

Also, don’t know why it’s making me tap out my response in the quote. TC has formatting issues on mobile.

1)  I, almost always, reply/post using mobile, and I can't recall ever having problems.  Might be the mobile browser you're using.

2)  No, NorCal Hobbies has, as far as I'm aware, always been NorCal Hobbies.  The original location was in the East Bay (Fremont, I think, but I could be wrong), but Eric moved it to San Jose approx a dozen years ago (give/take a couple years).  I believe the originally location had an outdoor dirt track.  Until 3 years ago, the San Jose location had an indoor clay track, but was converted to carpet (which it's remained since).  It's a great shop, with a great track, and great people working there.  If you're in the South Bay, you should definitely check it out.

Ona related note, about 18 months ago, Eric bought the HobbyTown location in Fresno, CA.  Since purchasing the store, he's completely revamped the store, and brought the San Jose store into the HobbyTown family.  Additionally, at the Fresno store, there's an outdoor on-road track that's free for anyone to use (at least, as of the last time I was there (Feb 2022), if was still free).  While the Fresno store focuses almost entirely on RTRs (for RC, but they carry other hobby-related stuff), the San Jose store has a fairly even selection of RTRs & kits.

4 hours ago, Panther6834 said:

The original location was in the East Bay (Fremont, I think, but I could be wrong), but Eric moved it to San Jose approx a dozen years ago (give/take a couple years).  I believe the originally location had an outdoor dirt track.

IIRC, wasn't the original outdoor dirt track where Jang from Ultimate RC (URC)) used to shoot his review videos years ago?

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

IIRC, wasn't the original outdoor dirt track where Jang from Ultimate RC (URC)) used to shoot his review videos years ago?

That, I cannot answer.  You'd have to ask him, yourself...if you can find him.

6 hours ago, Panther6834 said:

That, I cannot answer.  You'd have to ask him, yourself...if you can find him.

Last I heard, he was off in Lego land. I went back and watched one of his old URC reviews and he did shoot video at the old outdoor track.

18 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Yep, it was the original location that was previously mentioned. AFAIK it's the main reason he stopped making R/C videos, I remember reading through the old URC forums (RIP) a long time ago and he was considering even to buy some land to have a place to do shoot videos and make reviews. It's a real shame he stopped since very few review channels match his dedication and honesty, RazorRC has probably got the closest, but he primarily focuses on bashers and 1/10 race kits so probably not super interesting to most of you all, but I'd still suggest you give his channel a look. 

On 3/6/2023 at 8:38 PM, Bash said:

Yep, it was the original location that was previously mentioned. AFAIK it's the main reason he stopped making R/C videos, I remember reading through the old URC forums (RIP) a long time ago and he was considering even to buy some land to have a place to do shoot videos and make reviews. It's a real shame he stopped since very few review channels match his dedication and honesty, RazorRC has probably got the closest, but he primarily focuses on bashers and 1/10 race kits so probably not super interesting to most of you all, but I'd still suggest you give his channel a look. 

For the Bay Area, RazorRC, RC Review, and Fog City RC are all great sources.  Driftomaniacs was another really good one, until Richie moved away...however, about 9 months ago, he just "disappeared" (I, along with John from Fog City, have emailed, texted, and called him, all without any reply/answer...and, unfortunately, I no longer have his wife's phone number to call and find out).  Between the three 'current' ones still in the Bay Area, they cover several different areas of RC...about the only things they don't cover are micro (ie. 1/28 scale 'Mini-Z'), jumbo (ie. 1/7 & 1/5 scale), or nitro.  If you want more Tamiya-focused, I'd suggest Tamiya Legends & RC Kicks (both UK-based, but excellent Tamiya content).