Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

Picked up a used TD4. None of my spare alloy wheels hexes work. When you tighten the wheel nut down hard they stiffen up on the bearings. The kit plastic hexes work fine. Anyone else have this issue? Don't really want to buy Tamiya alloy hexes. They aren't good value. It's running kit bearings and tamiya universals. 

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Picked up a used TD4. None of my spare alloy wheels hexes work. When you tighten the wheel nut down hard they stiffen up on the bearings. The kit plastic hexes work fine. Anyone else have this issue? Don't really want to buy Tamiya alloy hexes. They aren't good value. It's running kit bearings and tamiya universals. 

I've not had this with clamping hexes from Tamiya, Avid, or Yeah Racing (all on TD4 universals)

Wierd!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

I've not had this with clamping hexes from Tamiya, Avid, or Yeah Racing (all on TD4 universals)

Wierd!

Same with me.  I'm running XRAY clamping hexes on my TD4 (actually, I use the XRAY clamping hexes on almost all of my 1/10 vehicles), and I don't have this problem.  The great thing about clamping hexes is that you can 'space' them appropriately.  For those worried about the hex pushing up against the bearing, causing 'binding', one trick you can use is the same "paper trick" people use for getting gear mesh correct - slip a couple pieces of paper (one on each side of the axle stub) between the hex & bearing, push the hex down to the paper, and tighten the hex's clamping screw.  If the paper is so loose, that it falls out on its own, the hex is too far.  If the paper is so tight, you can't pull it out, the hex is too close.  If neither of these is the case, and you can pull the paper out by just slightly pulling on the paper, then the hex is at a perfect distance from the bearing.

• Like 1

Has the price dropped recently? I’m seeing them everywhere for around £250.
Help. I’m beginning to feel that familiar urge… 

11 minutes ago, Nick-W said:

Has the price dropped recently? I’m seeing them everywhere for around £250.
Help. I’m beginning to feel that familiar urge… 

I was told by a UK model shop that after the initial release demand dropped and most shops have decided not to stock them. They'll be to order only. I bought mine recently for under 250. It's currently on my build queue one behind the Dirt Master...

• Like 2

Yep, most places seem to be clearing stock hence the £250 deals.  I've got one on its way from Tamico which was €184.87, so with VAT that's £195 plus a bit for postage and Customs handling fee (it's shared with several other items).

I'm going to run mine as a basic basher with the only Hop-Ups being two aluminium diff nuts.  I'll run with with an LRP brushed motor and see how it gets on.  Im also painting it super basic with a can of white paint I have knocking about, and a bit of smoke for the window canopy.  It'll probably look awful but at that price who cares?

I also have a fully hopped up TD2 in the queue to build.  I think the 2WD car is maybe more appealing as it's better looking, has a better steering assembly and easier battery access etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

I was told by a UK model shop that after the initial release demand dropped and most shops have decided not to stock them. They'll be to order only. I bought mine recently for under 250. It's currently on my build queue one behind the Dirt Master...

Maybe this will make Tamiya give some thought to a shell that doesn't give children nightmares

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

I've got one on its way from Tamico which was €184.87, so with VAT that's £195 plus a bit for postage and Customs handling fee (it's shared with several other items).

Wow. That's what they've got the TD2 on for now. 

Did someone produce a cab-back old school more angular rather than the Avante curves type shell? Not Revive RC? I wonder whether if Tamiya produce a nicer shell it might reignite demand. I've been tempted before myself and might be again. 

Yep, they've got both kits at the same price. The TD4 is usually more expensive.

59 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Yep, most places seem to be clearing stock hence the £250 deals.  I've got one on its way from Tamico which was €184.87, so with VAT that's £195 plus a bit for postage and Customs handling fee (it's shared with several other items).

I'm going to run mine as a basic basher with the only Hop-Ups being two aluminium diff nuts.  I'll run with with an LRP brushed motor and see how it gets on.  Im also painting it super basic with a can of white paint I have knocking about, and a bit of smoke for the window canopy.  It'll probably look awful but at that price who cares?

I also have a fully hopped up TD2 in the queue to build.  I think the 2WD car is maybe more appealing as it's better looking, has a better steering assembly and easier battery access etc.

I saw the Tamico price. I’m considering combining it with a nicely priced TC-01 to offset the delivery and handling charge. A sort of on-board shock box set.

I love my TD2 but she’s had far too much spent on her so I’d want to do the same as you with any TD4. 

1 minute ago, Twinfan said:

Yep, they've got both kits at the same price. The TD4 is usually more expensive.

Looks like TD4's up at €269 plus VAT etc now. 

26 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Maybe this will make Tamiya give some thought to a shell that doesn't give children nightmares

Haha 😁

34 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Looks like TD4's up at €269 plus VAT etc now. 

That's the pre-painted one which they still have stock of.

10 hours ago, Twinfan said:

That's the pre-painted one which they still have stock of.

Turns out they do still have stock of the €184 one, so in a moment of utter madness I've ordered one plus a handful of hop ups. It seems amazing value. Mine will sit a way down the build and tinker queue though. 

• Like 3

Good choice!  Hard to resist at that price aren't they?

What was the launch price, somewhere around £350 mark with the pre-painted around £390?  They were very overpriced but I think around £200 they're decent value.  That's the same as a 2WD Kyosho Dirt Master and only a bit more than a Thunder Shot...

I’ve done it! Order placed along with a diff nut (I’ve got one spare in the bits box from changing the TD2 diff over).

I also pick up a TT02SR for reasons I’m not exactly sure about. I think I’ve got a plan. 

46 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Good choice!  Hard to resist at that price aren't they?

What was the launch price, somewhere around £350 mark with the pre-painted around £390?  They were very overpriced but I think around £200 they're decent value.  That's the same as a 2WD Kyosho Dirt Master and only a bit more than a Thunder Shot...

Yeah although I have had half an eye for ages it was always going to be price driven. At this price I figured that other Tamiyas in the price range, after the obvious hop ups, showed it up to be tremendous value. It'll be more of a runner than my Mid, being lower and more planted. 

Do you know where the best advice is on the "essential" hop ups and issues? I guess on this thread but at 40 pages it'll take some reading! I recall something about front shock length - are they too long for chassis bottom out? 

Does it come with all hex hardware? I'm allergic to JIS. I added 2x diff nuts, an aftermarket carbon shock tower and a slipper to my order. Universals are available same price ish (maybe less) at FH. I'm thinking that'll be it, unless I tinker with battery mounting/access. 

10 minutes ago, Nick-W said:

I also pick up a TT02SR for reasons I’m not exactly sure about.

Deja vu! I did exactly this a few months ago. Interested to see what you do with yours. Mine's a bit of a lost dog at the moment to be honest. Too fast for where I run it. It's probably very capable, it's just I don't have the application for it. I'm tempted to reduce its power dramatically and see if it'll go well round the more open postal circuits (like this month's). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

1. Do you know where the best advice is on the "essential" hop ups and 

2. Does it come with all hex hardware? 

1. All of them, of course.

2. Yes.

4 minutes ago, toyolien said:

1. All of them, of course.

2. Yes.

In this case I'm considering an unorthodox (and perhaps just too difficult, I accept) approach I'm calling "not all of them"! Hence the cry for help. 😜

I think just the diff nuts are essential as a plastic nut in there as stock is a ridiculous idea. - what were Tamiya thinking of?

The blue alloy stuff is just bling, maybe the servo stuff can tighten the steering up a touch but I reckon it's a marginal benefit.  If you want to mess with rear toe etc, 22038 the rear suspension mount would be worth getting and the 22037 the stabiliser set if you think you need it.  It seems you have the universals and slipper clutch covered, plus the rear shock tower.

Personally, I'm curious to see how a bog basic TD4 with a brushed motor performs which is why I only went for the diff nuts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

I think just the diff nuts are essential as a plastic nut in there as stock is a ridiculous idea. - what were Tamiya thinking of?

The blue alloy stuff is just bling, maybe the servo stuff can tighten the steering up a touch but I reckon it's a marginal benefit.  If you want to mess with rear toe etc, 22038 the rear suspension mount would be worth getting and the 22037 the stabiliser set if you think you need it.  It seems you have the universals and slipper clutch covered, plus the rear shock tower.

Personally, I'm curious to see how a bog basic TD4 with a brushed motor performs which is why I only went for the diff nuts.

Oh yeah, I went for 22038 as well - I'm easily sold on rear toe adjustment. 

• Like 2