Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

2 hours ago, Bwaaatch said:

Very cool colour scheme. It immediately looks better. I wonder if they’ll release a 1:10 version with a couple of choice Hop-ups? 

Hi fellas. Quick question. The TD2/4 slipper clutch is in fact the same as TRF201X/DN-01, right?

A different quick question... (Sorry can't help with yours) 

I have a feeling the DF-03 aluminium shocks (54993) are a good addition to the TD4 and I can pick a set up for £42, which seems decent. I like these on my DT-03. Do I remember correctly that the extra travel on these is a really good addition to the TD4 front? I struggle to search for detail like that in a thread this long. So would these be a good upgrade? Or would the Aeration damper set 54028 be a better bet (for only fractionally more money)? 

My thinking for my build is as follows:

Slipper already ordered, which is 79t 48p, so I think a 26t pinion to give an FDR of 8 with a 10.5t brushless motor. 

I hope I can fit a Hobbywing Quicrun motor with the tabs off the side but I read this might be too tight so if I can't I'll fit my Tamiya TBLM or Speed Passion. 

Will poach a 10BL120 temporarily because there's a risk it might not fit. It's quite chunky and I read space is tight. Anyone fitted one? 

Also already ordered diff nut hop up x2, the rear adjustable suspension mount and have a SPT4412 servo in stock. Intend to order CVDs F&R too. 

Otherwise stock. Suck it and see on battery layout.

So I'd also love to hear any comments if any of the above is either a poor choice or lacking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

I have a feeling the DF-03 aluminium shocks (54993) are a good addition to the TD4 and I can pick a set up for £42, which seems decent. I like these on my DT-03. Do I remember correctly that the extra travel on these is a really good addition to the TD4 front? I struggle to search for detail like that in a thread this long. So would these be a good upgrade? Or would the Aeration damper set 54028 be a better bet (for only fractionally more money)? 

Slipper already ordered, which is 79t 48p, so I think a 26t pinion to give an FDR of 8 with a 10.5t brushless motor. 

I hope I can fit a Hobbywing Quicrun motor with the tabs off the side but I read this might be too tight so if I can't I'll fit my Tamiya TBLM or Speed Passion. 

Will poach a 10BL120 temporarily because there's a risk it might not fit. It's quite chunky and I read space is tight. Anyone fitted one? 

Also already ordered diff nut hop up x2, the rear adjustable suspension mount and have a SPT4412 servo in stock. Intend to order CVDs F&R too. 

So I'd also love to hear any comments if any of the above is either a poor choice or lacking?

I could only fit the 10BL120 by using a shorty lipo in fully forward and putting the speedo directly behind it.

The ball diffs should be fine with a 10.5T - but if you can pickup a pair of TA06 oil filled gear diffs cheap then they might be worth considering as well, but this really depends on where you are running it (indoor racing on carpet for example - the gear diffs will be better).

The metal bevel gears for the prop shaft and gearboxes are also worth considering - if you use the stock plastic gears then take the car apart after the first pack of cells through the car and see if you need to reshim. You won't need to do this again after the first run (well I didn't at least).

I have DF03 dampers on mine and they are a good fit. I did use the lower spring cups from the TRF5** cars with mine though for a nicer fit (same sprue as comes with the buggy aeration damper set).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Collin said:

Hi fellas. Quick question. The TD2/4 slipper clutch is in fact the same as TRF201X/DN-01, right?

The plates, spring and counter gear certainly are - the shaft looks the same but I've not actually tried it.

3 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

I'm using the HobbyWing  10BL120 with a TBLM 10.5T motor and a shorty lipo,  tight fit but it works.

SuperAvante3a.jpg

5 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

I could only fit the 10BL120 by using a shorty lipo in fully forward and putting the speedo directly behind it.

The ball diffs should be fine with a 10.5T - but if you can pickup a pair of TA06 oil filled gear diffs cheap then they might be worth considering as well, but this really depends on where you are running it (indoor racing on carpet for example - the gear diffs will be better).

The metal bevel gears for the prop shaft and gearboxes are also worth considering - if you use the stock plastic gears then take the car apart after the first pack of cells through the car and see if you need to reshim. You won't need to do this again after the first run (well I didn't at least).

I have DF03 dampers on mine and they are a good fit. I did use the lower spring cups from the TRF5** cars with mine though for a nicer fit (same sprue as comes with the buggy aeration damper set).

3 hours ago, Killajb said:

I'm using the HobbyWing  10BL120 with a TBLM 10.5T motor and a shorty lipo,  tight fit but it works.

Thanks both!

Ah. A good thing about that gear diff for me is it fits 2 of my other cars too. I might put one in my shopping list. I guess I could put one on the rear if I get a bit of slippage, leaving a ball diff in the front? The ball diff (I guess same one, came with the aluminium nut) in my lower power M-08 has been fine so far. Most likely I'm just bashing on dirt but interested to try a track too with this some day. 

I could use a shorty but would prefer a stick pack I think (I have more of them) and will have to buy an ESC at some point. What other ESCs might fit better, at a similar quality/cost (unless there's big advantage to be gained otherwise) to 10BL120?

• Like 1

I have another question then, which is just settings. What oil, springs and pistons would be a good starting point front and rear for the DF-03 shocks in a TD4? 

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Thanks both!

Ah. A good thing about that gear diff for me is it fits 2 of my other cars too. I might put one in my shopping list. I guess I could put one on the rear if I get a bit of slippage, leaving a ball diff in the front? The ball diff (I guess same one, came with the aluminium nut) in my lower power M-08 has been fine so far. Most likely I'm just bashing on dirt but interested to try a track too with this some day. 

I could use a shorty but would prefer a stick pack I think (I have more of them) and will have to buy an ESC at some point. What other ESCs might fit better, at a similar quality/cost (unless there's big advantage to be gained otherwise) to 10BL120?

The Hobbywing XeRun XR10 Justock G3 has a smaller foot print and should be ok with a 10T (worth check the spec sheet though). No timing or boost on this one though.

HW do the 10BL60 as well which is a bit cheaper (it's a baby version of the 10BL120)

36 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

The Hobbywing XeRun XR10 Justock G3 has a smaller foot print and should be ok with a 10T (worth check the spec sheet though). No timing or boost on this one though.

HW do the 10BL60 as well which is a bit cheaper (it's a baby version of the 10BL120)

Thanks. Being another 60a ESC, I guess I'd take the 10BL60 over the XeRun XR10 Justock G3 for its adjustability. 

10BL60/120 have certainly been good for me so far. I have a 10BL60 in my XV-01 with a 10.5t motor, which seems fine, I don't think it's ever got hot, although apparently its motor limit is 8.5t on road and 13.5t off. And there's something to be said for having all the same kit (one programme card). Other than footprint, what would the benefits be of going to a better/more expensive ESC than the 10BL60/120?

I have a feeling some have mounted the 10BL120's fan separately, to save space. Maybe that would be best of both worlds (120A and great value without limiting battery choice). 

Yet another question... 

For those using the XV-01 rear hub carriers on stock arms (which seems to be the simplest fix for hub carrier breakage, plus I could carry spares common to two cars I have), have you found readily available CVDs and which have you used? Or, do you know what length is required? 

I think worth considering this at the outset because it might negate the purchase of one pair of TD4 CVDs. 

Yet another question... 

For those using the XV-01 rear hub carriers on stock arms (which seems to be the simplest fix for hub carrier breakage, plus I could carry spares common to two cars I have), have you found readily available CVDs and which have you used? Or, do you know what length is required? 

I think worth considering this at the outset because it might negate the purchase of one pair of TD4 CVDs. 

You can use Kyosho RB7 driveshafts if you can't find DB01 or TRF201 items. You won't be able to use the stock arms without filing a grove in the top of the arm (as the driveshaft sits lower in the XV01 hub) - you'd be better using DB01 rear arms which are still easy to get hold of and cheap IMO

Are these rear hubs breaking with normal running or most whilst racing?

3 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Thanks. Being another 60a ESC, I guess I'd take the 10BL60 over the XeRun XR10 Justock G3 for its adjustability. 

10BL60/120 have certainly been good for me so far. I have a 10BL60 in my XV-01 with a 10.5t motor, which seems fine, I don't think it's ever got hot, although apparently its motor limit is 8.5t on road and 13.5t off. And there's something to be said for having all the same kit (one programme card). Other than footprint, what would the benefits be of going to a better/more expensive ESC than the 10BL60/120?

I have a feeling some have mounted the 10BL120's fan separately, to save space. Maybe that would be best of both worlds (120A and great value without limiting battery choice). 

The 10BL120 is great and I've used them extensively for club racing - but they not a patch on the full fat competition ESC for adjustability and feel.

I use a HW XR10 Pro V4 G2S in my XB4 buggy - the punch, boost, and, brakes are a huge improvement on the 10BL120. You also get a high voltage BEC which is very useful for race servos.

The SkyRC TS160 is a nice middle ground ESC for racing as well.

2 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

You can use Kyosho RB7 driveshafts if you can't find DB01 or TRF201 items. You won't be able to use the stock arms without filing a grove in the top of the arm (as the driveshaft sits lower in the XV01 hub) - you'd be better using DB01 rear arms which are still easy to get hold of and cheap IMO

Gotcha. Thanks. Assume the DB01 arms still take the CVDs you mention?

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

Are these rear hubs breaking with normal running or most whilst racing?

I think the stories I read were from racing, but of very easy breakage, and I'm quite adept at the breakage thing. So I figure it's not a shocker of a shopping list for some extra strength at the weak point, if it's this vs a pair of TD4 CVDs, plus I can use the stock bits with stock dogbones first, all items are available:

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344540167/

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344544431/

https://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/51313-tamiya-db01-r-parts-rear-suspension-arm

C.£20 if one can tack it on to future PJ and FH orders.

I guess this setup gives the stock rear toe of the XV-01 (I'm not sure what that is but there's a fair bit)? 

Gotcha. Thanks. Assume the DB01 arms still take the CVDs you mention?

Yeah - DB01 rear arms are the same distance from inner to outer hinge pin as the TD4 arms

Edit:

I guess this setup gives the stock rear toe of the XV-01 (I'm not sure what that is but there's a fair bit)? 

XV01 hubs are 0 degrees - the XV01 rear toe comes from the inner suspension mount

@BuggyGuy just to say thanks for your patience in answering my many questions. 

On 5/13/2023 at 11:23 AM, BuggyDad said:

In this case I'm considering an unorthodox (and perhaps just too difficult, I accept) approach I'm calling "not all of them"! Hence the cry for help. 😜

Well, that didn't entirely go to plan. Ordered DF-03 shocks, slipper, TD4 CVDs for the front, metal bevel gears, ball diff nuts, rear adjustable Suspension mount, reinforced XV-01 rear hubs,  DB-01 rear arms, DB-01 rear CVDs, TD4 sway bars. And I'll get a TA06 gear diff in case it's needed on the back. No blue bling though. 

🤔

At least the kit was an amazing deal and most of the above is at PJ prices. 

I'll run it on 10.5t brushless initially, but I guess it'd take quite a bit more. I may build it first with stock rear suspension and keep some of the above in reserve. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

@BuggyGuy just to say thanks for your patience in answering my many questions. 

Well, that didn't entirely go to plan. Ordered DF-03 shocks, slipper, TD4 CVDs for the front, metal bevel gears, ball diff nuts, rear adjustable Suspension mount, reinforced XV-01 rear hubs,  DB-01 rear arms, DB-01 rear CVDs, TD4 sway bars. And I'll get a TA06 gear diff in case it's needed on the back. No blue bling though. 

🤔

At least the kit was an amazing deal and most of the above is at PJ prices. 

I'll run it on 10.5t brushless initially, but I guess it'd take quite a bit more. I may build it first with stock rear suspension and keep some of the above in reserve. 

I've emailed Yeah Racing to see when they are going to make aluminum rear hubs. I still want to run the silly mudguards.... Otherwise I'd also be doing to above. I think the kit hubs will be ok for general running. I won't be racing this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

I've emailed Yeah Racing to see when they are going to make aluminum rear hubs. I still want to run the silly mudguards.... Otherwise I'd also be doing to above. I think the kit hubs will be ok for general running. I won't be racing this one.

Ah. Nice one. I quite fancy running the silly mudguards too. They just seem to be part of the TD4 thing. I also half wondered whether a little 3d print might enable their fitting to another hub carrier somehow. Could probably design to pretty much any spare fixing point. 

I have the beginnings of a shell idea. To my strange mind, there's something quite retro about it, like a 60s/70s vision of the future somehow. I might go back in time a bit for my colour scheme. 

17 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Ah. Nice one. I quite fancy running the silly mudguards too. They just seem to be part of the TD4 thing. I also half wondered whether a little 3d print might enable their fitting to another hub carrier somehow. Could probably design to pretty much any spare fixing point. 

I have the beginnings of a shell idea. To my strange mind, there's something quite retro about it, like a 60s/70s vision of the future somehow. I might go back in time a bit for my colour scheme. 

They just replied saying they have no plans to make any TD2/TD4 parts. Maybe there's not enough of a call for them?

12 minutes ago, toyolien said:

They just replied saying they have no plans to make any TD2/TD4 parts. Maybe there's not enough of a call for them?

This and the wide discounting of TD4 don't exactly point to the success of Tamiya's latest buggy platform. Maybe it's just a bit too niche to get the volumes?

18 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

This and the wide discounting of TD4 don't exactly point to the success of Tamiya's latest buggy platform. Maybe it's just a bit too niche to get the volumes?

Yep. I was told that in the UK there was an initial boom of interest when it was released and then nothing. Seems UK shops are deciding not to stock the kits and just get them in to order... Doesn't bode well dor future hop ups. 

25 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Yep. I was told that in the UK there was an initial boom of interest when it was released and then nothing. Seems UK shops are deciding not to stock the kits and just get them in to order... Doesn't bode well dor future hop ups. 

It will all depend upon how popular they are in Japan.  If they're loved over there, the Hop-Ups will continue to flow  ;)

4 hours ago, Twinfan said:

It will all depend upon how popular they are in Japan.  If they're loved over there, the Hop-Ups will continue to flow  ;)

I guess there's no way of knowing that?