Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

47 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

I suppose we'd need a friendly Japanese local to let us know  :)

That would be nice.

It’s here! Sadly, my desire to avoid too many hop-ups didn’t completely survive a recent PL order.

IMG_4351.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nick-W said:

It’s here! Sadly, my desire to avoid too many hop-ups didn’t completely survive a recent PL order.

IMG_4351.jpeg

Lovely. What are your plans for it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick-W said:

IMG_4351.jpeg

That rings a bell! 

Mine should arrive next week too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Lovely. What are your plans for it?

I think I’m going to go for a solid dark metallic blue colour scheme. I’ve got a slipper, universal joints, rear suspension mount and carbon damper stay on the way too.
I toy with the idea of an on-road sort of setup but I’m always changing my mind. 

On 5/19/2023 at 7:50 AM, BuggyDad said:

This and the wide discounting of TD4 don't exactly point to the success of Tamiya's latest buggy platform. Maybe it's just a bit too niche to get the volumes?

I think if they did an R or MS spec for reasonable money you'd get more interest at the club racing level, though it would need a few changes to allow better (non DIY!) support for shorty lipos, and some improvements to the steering for that to work.

TBH 4WD off road is a bit niche in the UK now, 2WD is the dominant class in the off road scene.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

I think if they did an R or MS spec for reasonable money you'd get more interest at the club racing level, though it would need a few changes to allow better (non DIY!) support for shorty lipos, and some improvements to the steering for that to work.

TBH 4WD off road is a bit niche in the UK now, 2WD is the dominant class in the off road scene.

This, and it’s not as though we’ve not given them enough food for thought with all the mods that have been done to it . :)

• Like 1

They would sell many more if the shell wasn''t gopping. I am really impressed with mine. It's a lovely runner on grass. Haven't managed to get it to the track yet. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

Front shock towers mod 

Watched that last night. Not something I'd be interested in. I like the lay down shocks. For me it's what makes the TD4 unique. And, I would imagine one roll over and they'd be off.

• Like 5

Agreed.  I understand why Owen fancied the challenge and made it work but it's not something I would buy.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Agreed.  I understand why Owen fancied the challenge and made it work but it's not something I would buy.

Absolutely. Seems a lot of people in the comments like it but I do wonder how many of them would actually drive their TD4 and how many would just pop it on a shelf. In which case I'm sure that front carbon mount would be just fine 😁

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

I'm just the same. Plus for a serial car flipper like me the concept of laydown shocks is a big part of the TD4 appeal. 

However, how about using his 3d printed servo mounts alone, alongside one of the mods that take out a steering link and make the battery more accessible, like transverse mounting? With the contours of the chassis there they look like really solid mounts. I'd be interested in those - I might contact Owen. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I'm just the same. Plus for a serial car flipper like me the concept of laydown shocks is a big part of the TD4 appeal. 

However, how about using his 3d printed servo mounts alone, alongside one of the mods that take out a steering link and make the battery more accessible, like transverse mounting? With the contours of the chassis there they look like really solid mounts. I'd be interested in those - I might contact Owen. 

Agree, its the laydown inboard dampers that make the car interesting 

• Like 1

Finally finished mine... didn't add the driver yet, but painted and ready to roll! Stock underneath except for the white shocks. Love the look of this buggy! 

20230523-090748-SM.jpg
20230523-090800-SM.jpg

posing with my (dusty) Avante DF03
20230523-090843-SM.jpg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

20230523-090748-SM.jpg

That looks great! What are those tires? Been looking for a road set for my build.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Finally finished mine... didn't add the driver yet, but painted and ready to roll! Stock underneath except for the white shocks. Love the look of this buggy! 

20230523-090748-SM.jpg
20230523-090800-SM.jpg

posing with my (dusty) Avante DF03
20230523-090843-SM.jpg

Nice rides!

Hi fellow Tamiya lovers! 

Let me share with you my latest TD4 DIY carbon fiber upgrades and modifications. More specifically these include:

- front shocks mount, 

- rear shocks tower, 

- TD2-like battery position, 

- Upper deck, 

- driver mount. 

All components were designed in a 2D program and then cut accordingly. 

IMG_20240319_061341.thumb.jpg.f2ad3795410df020fb0ecde7829165f1.jpg

IMG_20240318_221630.thumb.jpg.9f4f3021e5cf1f6876422a176cf1eeea.jpg

IMG_20240318_221943.thumb.jpg.428e3f8671b5b2181293d99d76f3d423.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@TamiyaD I am guessing the battery is a shorty that goes across the rear a la TD2? How does it install?

Exactly. It is a shorty that fits perfectly. 

I secure the battery cover with a carbon fiber stripe and two nuts. All you have to do is to unscrew these nuts and the battery is easily removed.

I believe that the following photo is indicative. 

IMG_20240319_062726.thumb.jpg.e928d7eafa419afda37d6112ccd129ab.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@TamiyaD I am guessing the battery is a shorty that goes across the rear a la TD2? How does it install?

I was going to ask the same question. 

@TamiyaD These carbon parts look excellent. You are helping my motivation get my TD4 built. I feel like I really need a solution to battery installation that avoids removing suspension/steering parts to get on with it. 

• Like 1

@BuggyDad@BuggyDad thank you for you nice words.

The battery modification is quite simple. The carbon fiber stripe can easily be replaced by a piece of  plastic or aluminum.

The carbon parts definitely have imperfections because they are hand made but they are overall quite accurate... 

3 minutes ago, TamiyaD said:

@BuggyDad@BuggyDad thank you for you nice words.

The battery modification is quite simple. The carbon fiber stripe can easily be replaced by a piece of  plastic or aluminum.

The carbon parts definitely have imperfections because they are hand made but they are overall quite accurate... 

I have been hand making a few parts out of CF sheet too. I find it not too bad now I have sorted myself out the tools. If you have patterns designed, would you be up for sharing the files? My method has been to print out patterns, stick transparent film to the CF then glue the paper prints to that and drill first then cut to those. Works quite well, although it's still ultimately being done by hand. 

Chassis here, for example:

20240223_224117

• Like 2