Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

32 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

A shorty lipo mounted transversally should do it... Only question remaining is how to fix it.

I imagine some enterprising person with a 3d printer will have that sorted very soon. 

38 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I imagine some enterprising person with a 3d printer will have that sorted very soon. 

Not that complex, actually :-)

Nothing than a bit of measuring on an actual chassis and a bit of CAD in Tinkercad can't solve!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Can't understand for the life of me why you wouldn't just go straight for the obviously possible transverse battery install and permanently bolt down the front suspension and steering. 

Probably handles better with the weight up front and inline. 

Shorty in transverse + a big old lump of brass up front would be a good combo. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, silvertriple said:

A shorty lipo mounted transversally should do it... Only question remaining is how to fix it.

What is part A30? It looks like some sort of battery holder and couldn't find it in the manual, although it's not marked as unused...

Same with B3 - are those parts for TD2?

It looks like the front gearbox and kickup plate is on single "L" part tree - will this be what makes a difference between TD2 and TD4?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, silvertriple said:

3M Dual Grip applied to the bottom of the battery and the chassis floor. I have a couple of speed controllers attached with it, and I can pick the car up by grasping the controller. To release, just twist. 
Or, just adapt whatever parts for the TD2 that are leftover on the sprues.

Velcro straps like the ones you used it get from RC mart orders?

I bought the TT-02B/DF03 aluminum damper set. Good to see instructions on what bits to use for those. Also, I have the slipper on order. Hopefully that comes at the same time as the kit. The rear gearbox is literally the first step. :D 

25 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I bought the TT-02B/DF03 aluminum damper set. Good to see instructions on what bits to use for those. Also, I have the slipper on order. Hopefully that comes at the same time as the kit. The rear gearbox is literally the first step. :D 

The manual seems to indicate you only replace the fronts with this set and not the rears.. I can’t see why you couldn’t do the rears though as well?

22 minutes ago, Cynan said:

The manual seems to indicate you only replace the fronts with this set and not the rears

Edit: huh. I didn't spot the 'Notice' bit that says 'Do not replace rear dampers'. I wonder if that's to do with the DF03 dampers being really, really long. In which case, stick some travel reducers in them.

Suspect it's more the case that the rears are a direct replacement with no changes required. 

Manual says 'Attach in same way as the kit standard dampers'

I'm going to try to fit the VQS Hi-Caps :)

• Like 1

I think the attach in the same way as the lot standard is talking about how to connect the fronts up. As with the big bores the connection is slightly different. But yeah it’s prob the travel in the rears that just need adjusting. Surprised the manual didn’t specify it though.

The TT-02B/DF03 dampers have their own instruction manual. I'm interpreting they are saying to build the dampers as instructed except for the fronts, where we should use the V6 part instead of V5 (from the V parts tree that comes with the set) and not use the spacer and o-ring. The rears need no changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howards said:

Edit: huh. I didn't spot the 'Notice' bit that says 'Do not replace rear dampers'. I wonder if that's to do with the DF03 dampers being really, really long. In which case, stick some travel reducers in them.

Suspect it's more the case that the rears are a direct replacement with no changes required. 

Yeah, I have the DF03 and have reduced the travel and using the shortest mount.

I was really surprised to see a transponder mount in the manual (although for a kind of transponder that is rarely used anymore - but OTOH for modern personal transponders, you don't need any holder). :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hIghQ said:

I was really surprised to see a transponder mount in the manual (although for a kind of transponder that is rarely used anymore -)

Maybe that’s a clue as to how long this car has been in development.

6 minutes ago, BelknapCrater said:

Maybe that’s a clue as to how long this car has been in development.

:blink: How many years has it been in development then?

The AMB rechargeable transponders have been obsolete for a decade... It's just one of those funny things Tamiya do, in their world a transponder mount is useful for racers, of course they have no idea that racers have moved on to completely different transponders!

It's like when they put a TRF car on display at a model show and make sure it is fully equipped with a Tamiya LiFE stick pack.:lol:

19 hours ago, Howards said:

May be more than just the length of the shafts, but also the length of the damper bodies, if they are too long then the suspension won't compress fully (which is bad for performance and can actually cause more breakages)

Casting my mind back to the DB01, that came with CVA dampers out of the box, which were quite a lot shorter than the optional shocks from a 501x, and ended up requiring different shock towers to get the right amount of travel.

Tower just pushed expected ship from October to November. My guess is these are sitting in a container ship off of California at the moment.  

if you really want one in the states sooner than later my guess is getting it from rcjaz/asiatees and paying the air freight to get it here.

Horizon Hobby has changed their ETA from 10/20 to 11/18. 

I'm a bit cheesed. 

Tamiya USA is still showing it as unavailable, so I guess that the container got held up.

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

I'm a bit cheesed. 

Tamiya USA is still showing it as unavailable, so I guess that the container got held up.

Yeah that's why I think the HK shops will see it before we do. Maybe by months. Who knows how long it will take to clear the container ship back log.

2 hours ago, Big Jon said:

I'm a bit cheesed. 

Same here, expected date pushed from 21/10 to ……..?