1 hour ago, Mechanic AH said:

avantezj.jpg

avantezk.jpg

avantezl.jpg

avantezm.jpg

avantezn.jpg

avantezo.jpg

avantezp.jpg

The plastics looks durable. Like the ones on the trf cars. That flexible plastic instead of the stiff kind on the cheaper cars. 

• Like 3

The name Avante means forward. This is why Tamiya keeps using it. 

No company in their right mind would release a true follow up to the original Avante. Yes for Tamiya fans it was the epitome buggy release. To the rest of the RC world, it was an over-engineered spruce goose. 

The TD-4 is Tamiyas way forward. It’s new, has major quirks. You want metal bits, you can add those later. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

The plastics looks durable. Like the ones on the trf cars. That flexible plastic instead of the stiff kind on the cheaper cars. 

Yep, it’s carbon infused plastic versus peanut brittle infused abs  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

Yep, it’s carbon infused plastic versus peanut brittle infused abs  😉

We gonna be paying for it lol 

• Like 1

I'm guessing it'll be £209. Although, how you remove the battery is making me think twice about my pre-order I've placed.

• Like 1

How is nobody talking about those ridiculous mudguards? I love the fact they've put a driver figure in there and the chassis looks awesome (for Tamiya) but the body is as ugly as the original is beautiful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gruntfuggly said:

How is nobody talking about those ridiculous mudguards? I love the fact they've put a driver figure in there and the chassis looks awesome (for Tamiya) but the body is as ugly as the original is beautiful.

Mostly as they are easily removable. 

• Like 1

@Gruntfuggly mate you've got the best username, makes me chuckle every time I see it :D

Apologies for the off-topic, now back to wheel fenders and obscure battery placements!

• Like 1

My 2 cents for what its worth (About 2 cents :) )

I like the look of the shell. It 400% better than the forward cab look that's proliferated from other manufacturers.

Looks like a lot of effort has gone into designing strong components which is good to see.

I like the idea of trying to avoid having front shock towers which can be prone to breaking off.

After the DF-02 onwards years, it's nice to see a tranverse motor in a new buggy again, as it helps to avoid torque steer when you put a powerful brushless system in it

Someone (or some team) has clearly put a lot of thought into this.

That's the good stuff.

On the down side, once the bodyshell comes off what I see is one huge design overcomplication in order to accommodate the inboard shocks. Lots of complex bracing around the chassis and front end looks like a potential weak point. I can't help thinking it would have been a lot simpler to fit a front monoshock and an anti roll bar, and it wouldn't have spoiled the aesthetic of the shell.

If you look at the elegant simplicity of the designs of cars like the xls CAT and the Optima Mid, this still has a long way to go get to that. Ok, they're dated designs and this might  outdrive it in a race (and I say 'might'), but I'd still pick a Mid any day over one of these.

After, what, 40 years or so of RC car design, and they can't get the on/off switch outside the shell so you don't have to pull body pins if you need to turn it off in a hurry ? They got that right as far back as the sand rover..................

• Like 5

Over-engineered....and will be over-priced. 

The build-up preview video was brill......and got us all excited.......but the actual car is a disappointment. 

Sorry to say this but I will be wandering off-piste again with another Non-Tamiya purchase......

10 minutes ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

Over-engineered....and will be over-priced. 

The build-up preview video was brill......and got us all excited.......but the actual car is a disappointment. 

Sorry to say this but I will be wandering off-piste again with another Non-Tamiya purchase......

@HornetRacer 1971 

What were you disappointed in? And, which non-Tamiya will you be getting? Oh, and have you built the Comical Grasshopper that you unboxed a while ago yet??:D

• Like 1

Just now, toyolien said:

@HornetRacer 1971 

What were you disappointed in? And, which non-Tamiya will you be getting? Oh, and have you built the Comical Grasshopper that you unboxed a while ago yet??:D

lol

A long list of disappointments. The look of it for one. The access to the battery. The silly mudguards. 

Non-Tamiya will be the Radix6 and the FTX Kanyon.

And no...not yet.....lol. I have over 50 NIBs to build in my house at the moment......so it isn't as if I don't have much choice.....lol

Plus with the nice weather I go Model Flying a lot these days......

:D

1 minute ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

lol

A long list of disappointments. The look of it for one. The access to the battery. The silly mudguards. 

Non-Tamiya will be the Radix6 and the FTX Kanyon.

And no...not yet.....lol. I have over 50 NIBs to build in my house at the moment......so it isn't as if I don't have much choice.....lol

Plus with the nice weather I go Model Flying a lot these days......

:D

Agree with the battery access. That's unforgivable...

Love your unboxing vids btw. :o)

• Like 1

Nice. Bet that flies!

Any of the Tamiyas really. I like that you talk about everything including what it says on the box. On the Comical Grasshopper one (which I think was on your channel before it was deleted) you talked about driving the original Hornet around a shopping centre as a lad. Great memories.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toyolien said:

Agree with the battery access. That's unforgivable...

Love your unboxing vids btw. :o)

Oh that's great! So glad you enjoy them.

Any favourites?

I appreciate some feedback so thanks. 

4 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Nice. Bet that flies!

Any of the Tamiyas really. I like that you talk about everything including what it says on the box. On the Comical Grasshopper one (which I think was on your channel before it was deleted) you talked about driving the original Hornet around a shopping centre as a lad. Great memories.

Wow yes...Walton's Model Shop......Pale Blue Hornet........lol

Well remembered! 

Am I the only one who thinks Tamiya was inspired by @Ferruz's color scheme? 

If it was, I think Tamiya owes Ferruz at least 1 free Super Avante!  (Come on Tamiya, do right by him! ) 

FIpg5R9.jpg

k3a63IZ.jpg

• Like 11

If I get it (if it's cheap), I think I'll paint little blue triangles on the front.  That makes it look a bit more Avante-like. 

JTGz55B.jpg

Not sure which thread I should be posting in at this point but anywho... this Super Avante presents and interesting blip in Tamiya buggy evolution.

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

Ok, they're dated designs and this might  outdrive it in a race (and I say 'might'), but I'd still pick a Mid any day over one of these.

I'm going err on the side of "might not" and I agree, I'd race a Mid over one of these any day.

The original Avante was a big side-detour in the evolution of Tamiya 4wd buggies. There is a line that traces from the design language of the Hotshot to the Thundershot to the Manta Ray/DF01. The Avante line was a deviation. It was also Tamiya's first hard shot at the top of 4wd comp buggies. It was a collection of unproven ideas that came together in a beautiful, if flawed design. It displayed a quirkiness and inventiveness that, even then, showed a disconnect from what was proven in competition at that time. The Egress was what happened when a manufacturer gained experience at the track and then tried to rectify the Avante's short comings while keeping the core of the car. I always felt the Jamie Booth Egress was an attempt to further bring the buggy back in line with more mainstream development. 

The thing is, since then, Tamiya has gained experience. The DF03 was a step in the right direction (competitively) that the DF02 was not. They followed that up with the DB01. This proves Tamiya can make descent, competitive product (for a given time). So where does something like the Super Avante fit in? Its like they learned their lessons and then regressed which is highly abnormal. The original Avante gets a pass as it was not only a passion project but also evolutionary, devoid of previous experience. The Super Avante doesn't get that luxury. This new buggy is so very much in the same vein as the original but its placement in development history is puzzling to me. I like it. I'm quite happy Tamiya didn't flop out another TT02B nor make a hideous cab forward "modern" buggy.

I do wonder how far history will repeat itself. Will we see a more conventional front shock upgrade (the Avante did) a redesigned "racing" steering system (again, original Avante upgrade) a different chassis (with better battery access)? Will these be incorporated into a Super Egress? Probably not, as I don't imagine this car will be campaigned. Still, I find it an interesting piece in the the puzzle of Tamiya history.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

So where does something like the Super Avante fit in?

I'd say it comes from the Tamiya quirkiness we all love. 

(The trike had no precedent, but it's actually a pretty fun thing)

7EYDi0k.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

Am I the only one who thinks Tamiya was inspired by @Ferruz's color scheme? 

If it was, I think Tamiya owes Ferruz at least 1 free Super Avante!  (Come on Tamiya, do right by him! ) 

FIpg5R9.jpg

k3a63IZ.jpg

That's very kind, thank you for giving me credit! I did think about it actually, but didn't wanna seem cocky bringing it up :ph34r: So now I'm glad someone else did. Come on Tamiya what's fair is fair, where's my Super Avante?? Eheheh... I wish :rolleyes:

Anyway, this new buggy is growing on me. Something about it just doesn't add up, and that might be exactly why I find  it appealing. Tamiya knows we like to complain and come up with our own tweaks and solutions 😉

• Like 1

I’d really like to see the long term effects of that battery removal process. Or how much slop is in that steering.

Not crazy about the color scheme, but if the price is right I may get into it and mod it to my liking

It seems to be a love-child of the DF03 and the TC01 mostly.

Much like the DF03, keeping the motor cool will be quite the challenge.

I applaud Tamiya for trying something new, but I have a feeling they really could've done better. Too many compromises off the bat.