Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

Greetings to all. Can anyone tell me what is the ETE length of the damper?

Worth noting that the fronts are minis with a longer ball joint attachment and a mid length shaft to increase the eye to eye; it would be difficult to buy a front damper that won't fit. Too long (like aerations / big bore / TF hi caps)? Just fit a shorter ball joint.

Put in some laps at a local track today and thought I'd share my observations of the Super Avante here.

The track is a loose 80s styled track (loamy dirt, bumpy with small jumps) and the buggy did very well! The transmission was very smooth and quiet. While I had some transmission issues on high grip astro, on dirt today the car really seemed right at home. The only 2 options I'm running are the slipper and aluminum diff nuts. 

The TD4 was easy to drive and handled the jumps very well. The car felt planted and confident even in the very bumpy sections of the track. I'm running the stock servo mounts (with double sided tape added below for a bit less flex) but the car never felt imprecise. It tracked straight and cornered predictably.

I did encounter a problem with the front driveshafts though. While they didn't eject, I found after some running one side was experiencing some occasional binding. Turns out the foam inserts that "push" the shaft into the drive cup had degraded so the shaft was floating and would sometimes lock up when the car was steering. Universals should solve this but I've fashioned some new foam spacers I hope will work for now.

I'm currently running zero steering limiters on the uprights now and the car turns great on the track. I had no lack of steering.

I'm trying to enjoy this car on a budget so I'm sticking with the stock shocks for now. My recommendation here is to go with the 2-hole pistons rather than the 3-hole ones recommended in the manual. With the stock oil, I find the 3-holes to be too soft and the car (particularly the rear) tends to bottom out a bit too hard.

Had a lot of fun today at the track and this car really has some club race potential - particularly for anyone looking to drive something that is different... Here's a decent handling car that in its build and design is uniquely Tamiya. I must say there's nothing quite like it in the market. :)

Here's a pic after the run. Nice and dirty...

IMG_20220221_173821.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Finally got around to building mine... I used Jconcepts wheels and Duratrax tires, as well as some white CVA's I had left over from my TT02BMS kit. Body will be painted to match, and a 13.5 BL system is awaiting install.  Quite a nice kit. The molding on the chassis tub is a work of art! 

20220204-115514.jpg

• Like 11

On 2/22/2022 at 2:14 PM, BloodClod said:

A quick video of the TD4 running at a local dirt track.

Nice vid! How you think it compares to other cars you know on this track?

10 hours ago, Boomerang89 said:

Nice vid! How you think it compares to other cars you know on this track?

Thanks.

Local weather has been quite unfriendly to RC running lately so I've not had a chance to run head-to-head with other buggies much. From what I've observed though, the TD4 should be able to hang with most of the crowd. One thing of note is that this is on a 80s-styled loose dirt track without big jumps - the stock suspension setup seems well suited for it and it is quite a pleasure to drive. Some other personal thoughts:

- the metal DB02 bevel gears are - in my opinion - a must for a reliable drive train. The plastic ones just aren't up to task for any serious throttle-brake input.
- if the car is to run on astro-turf or a more modern-type track, I think it would still be capable, but it would probably benefit from a better set of shocks and more setup work... but I suspect it would be unlikely that the TD4 would see a lot of extensive race setups being generated.
- there's a smoothness in the car and a 'feel' that is uniquely 'tamiya' which is a plus of course!

• Like 3

@BloodClod great video and good to read your impressions. I still don't love the look of this car but it's hard to keep ignoring all the positive impressions I read and watch...

The SA looks really at home on that track. I do think the CVA's are fine for outdoor running, its only indoors where more fine adjustments could help where you could look at upgrading the shocks. Thanks for the tip about 2 holes on the shocks. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:08 PM, Howards said:

Ah man that track looks amazing fun.

Thanks, I think it's quite ideal for a car like the TD4. It's a mix of off-road plus race track for a mid-tier race buggy. :)

19 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@BloodClod great video and good to read your impressions. I still don't love the look of this car but it's hard to keep ignoring all the positive impressions I read and watch...

Glad you found it useful. Lots of great info on here but perhaps not so many impressions and experiences on a race track yet, hopefully more to come.

The body certainly is polarizing. I do wish the sides were just a tad more streamlined, but I love that bubble cockpit with the driver peeking out! Lol.

8 hours ago, qatmix said:

The SA looks really at home on that track. I do think the CVA's are fine for outdoor running, its only indoors where more fine adjustments could help where you could look at upgrading the shocks. Thanks for the tip about 2 holes on the shocks. 

Yes, the handling is surprising for a mostly stock setup.

Here's my personal recommended upgrade list (in order of priority) so far:

1. Metal diff nuts - the stock ones really didn't last for me. This should've been in the box imo.

2. Db02 bevel gears - also to bullet proof the transmission. Also should've been included as far as I'm concerned.

3. Slipper clutch - not critical depending on your track, but always good to have to protect the transmission.

4. Front universals - I had issues with the stock front driveshafts chewing up the foam spacers and then binding up. No ejected shafts yet though...

5. Rear hinge pin block - option but a good one because it allows adjustable rear toe and anti-squat. I just put mine on with 0.5 degree more toe.

Car's certainly not perfect, but I think it checks the boxes for a fun and decently reliable buggy that could possibly hang with the other race cars at a club track.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just cleaned up the car but left the dirt on the body for now. :)

The stock body and paint have really grown on me.

If using larger race wings (mine is a 6.5") then go with the higher wing mounts included in the box. Otherwise you may have issues with the rear tires rubbing on the wing on suspension compression.

IMG_20220312_023135.jpg

• Like 6

Had a look through the tips thread but couldn't see anything, but what are people doing for shimming the bevel gears in the front and rear gearboxes?

Just building my TD4 at the moment and there's definitely slop/movement if you only go with the shims listed in the manual - and I've seen 2 other TD4s with clicky gearboxes already...

Online stores in HK have received their stock of SE and non SE kits & also the TD2s. Tamiya took my money with ****ethening ease, again.

6 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

Had a look through the tips thread but couldn't see anything, but what are people doing for shimming the bevel gears in the front and rear gearboxes?

Just building my TD4 at the moment and there's definitely slop/movement if you only go with the shims listed in the manual - and I've seen 2 other TD4s with clicky gearboxes already...

Have you checked Matisse's thread in the builds section? He's shimmed most of it I think...

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:33 AM, jonboy1 said:

Hmmm.

So I've got no actual idea if this will work, but I wonder if bleaching them might bring the colour back a few shades?

The way I see it is that it's dyed, not impregnated pigment, so it should act the same as if it were a fabric (polyester is largely similar to acrylic, and it would work on a pair of polyester undies) 

Might be worth a try on a spare parts tree first? 

hi. I had my first try with dy rit pink yesterday on some old rims. I will give it a try, using clorix bleacher / water mix and report.

Well, I roached the bevel gears on the first hard run. 10.5, 2S LiPo, fairly tight slipper.

Anyone know who has the DB02 bevel gears in stock?

• Sad 1

Are the DB02 bevel gears the answer? I don't see them in stock anywhere. The part number is 9804570 right?

10 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Well, I roached the bevel gears on the first hard run. 10.5, 2S LiPo, fairly tight slipper.

Anyone know who has the DB02 bevel gears in stock?

I've got a 10.5, 2s lipo, and fairly tight slipper as well... what pinion are you using? and what would you deem a "hard" run lol?

14 hours ago, toyolien said:

I got mine from rcmart. Arrived yesterday. 

They are out of stock there now. Hopefully they will come back in soon.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 12:41 PM, Boomerang89 said:

What is the thread of the nut I wonder. M3, M2, M2.6?

IMG_20220315_1230202.jpg

The original part is  plastic cup with a m3 lockiung nut, if i remember right. so m3 most likely.

• Thanks 1