Mechanic AH

The Tamiya Super Avante #58696 Information and Pictures

14 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I have been hand making a few parts out of CF sheet too. I find it not too bad now I have sorted myself out the tools. If you have patterns designed, would you be up for sharing the files? My method has been to print out patterns, stick transparent film to the CF then glue the paper prints to that and drill first then cut to those. Works quite well, although it's still ultimately being done by hand. 

Chassis here, for example:

20240223_224117

Impressive work @BuggyDad... I love hand made builds...

I am working with exactly the same method... I am also a scratch rc boat builder (I have also built 2 brushless outboards) and I have borrowed many of the techniques I am using in rc boats. 

20 hours ago, TamiyaD said:

If you have patterns designed, would you be up for sharing the files?

Of course ... Below you can find the pdf file for printing on A4 paper for anyone who would like a carbon fiber conversion to his TD4...

TD4_carbonfiberpartsV1.pdf

A simple reference to my design would make me happy:D!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TamiyaD said:

Of course ... Below you can find the pdf file for printing on A4 paper for anyone who would like a carbon fiber conversion to his TD4...

TD4_carbonfiberpartsV1.pdf 45.18 kB · 5 downloads

A simple reference to my design would make me happy:D!

Nice! Thanks! When I build mine I think most likely I will go for a shorty and mount it as you have, it just seems so much better for access. Do you think your steering setup is better than stock? Less play? 

• Like 1

Definitely less play compared to the original position. 

Basically I use 4 pieces of 2mm carbon fiber just as I am showing below:

Front view

IMG_20240320_122342.thumb.jpg.35d0154c34a4f6e83a705a2e33105542.jpg

Rear view

IMG_20240320_122318.thumb.jpg.58771a6680938fe933796731bf9eb444.jpg

Side view

IMG_20240320_122231.thumb.jpg.e9e2ef3c5228d69ac613efec527876b8.jpg

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Nice! Thanks! When I build mine I think most likely I will go for a shorty and mount it as you have, it just seems so much better for access. Do you think your steering setup is better than stock? Less play? 

After running the stock and linkage delete steering on mine over the last couple of Junkies meets I would say the linkage delete is a must. You don't have to go quite so far as @TamiyaD though. Mine just uses some threaded hex from ebay for servo mounts. Super easy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

After running the stock and linkage delete steering on mine over the last couple of Junkies meets I would say the linkage delete is a must. You don't have to go quite so far as @TamiyaD though. Mine just uses some threaded hex from ebay for servo mounts. Super easy.

Thanks. I'll go for some version of the linkage delete from the off then, plus the transverse shorty. I will look for a way to use a velcro strap over the battery but I'm not sure there will be space to fix it down to the chassis base behind, so the carbon option may be more likely. I quite like the idea of getting into a new chassis at the same time as I get into a 3d printer, just to see what ideas emerge. I'll probably go for Big Bore shocks on mine too, as well as a pretty complete bag of hop ups I've been collecting over the year I've had the kit. 

@TamiyaD your upper deck and front shock mount are there to stiffen things up or some other purpose?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Thanks. I'll go for some version of the linkage delete from the off then, plus the transverse shorty. I will look for a way to use a velcro strap over the battery but I'm not sure there will be space to fix it down to the chassis base behind, so the carbon option may be more likely. I quite like the idea of getting into a new chassis at the same time as I get into a 3d printer, just to see what ideas emerge. I'll probably go for Big Bore shocks on mine too, as well as a pretty complete bag of hop ups I've been collecting over the year I've had the kit. 

@TamiyaD your upper deck and front shock mount are there to stiffen things up or some other purpose?

Linkage delete. I cut the rest of the servo saver arm off at an angle so I can still install a battery longitudinally.

This thread has a bunch of mods and other bits: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@BuggyDad@BuggyDad primarily for stiffness. The chassis is so rigid now, more suitable for high grip surfaces (the local track has an astro turf surface).

Second, I definitely like the looks of  carbon fiber upgrades :wub:

• Like 1

Hey - I'm looking for recommendations for ESCs that fit the TD2/4. Will run a 10.5 brushless and 2s. 

22 minutes ago, Howards said:

Hey - I'm looking for recommendations for ESCs that fit the TD2/4. Will run a 10.5 brushless and 2s. 

HobbyWing 10BL120 (G1)

• Like 1

I'm planning to do the change to XV-01 rear hubs on my TD4. Regarding that, I have some questions:

I've been looking around and was able to find some parts that are needed. But I wasn't able to find a complete list of parts which are needed. Does someone who have made this mod have a part list for it?

Is it necessary to change something on the front to use aftermarket wheels?

Thanks!

On 4/14/2024 at 8:41 PM, Aerobert said:

I've been looking around and was able to find some parts that are needed. But I wasn't able to find a complete list of parts which are needed.

I haven't done it but I suspect it's something like 

XV-01 rear hubs
DB01 rear suspension arms 
DB01 / TRF201 rear universals 
Clamp on hex adapters 
A bunch of shims

• Thanks 1

Got mine built up and run, finally. 

Yes, the battery thing is a faff. Tight packaging makes cable length / efficiency critical. 

But I like it. Might try some carpet racing, see what happens in mostly stock form with the 10.5t.

spacer.png

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Howards said:

XV-01 rear hubs
Clamp on hex adapters 
A bunch of shims

This is what I have in stock, although I haven't done it either. I understand that you can do it with the stock arms and a bit of dremel work, or the DB-01 arms without any cutting required. 

• Like 1

XV-01 rear hubs
Clamp on hex adapters 
A bunch of shims

That about sums it up. I have also found that the DB01/TRF rear arms are slightly swept backwards compared to the stock TD2/4 arms. So I shimmed the hub as far forward as I could to compensate. There are also a few options on the hub to locate your upper camber link ballstud. I had to install mine in a forward position so that it would not be obstructed by the chassis on the inner ballstud side - just something to check.

• Like 1

Yes, the battery thing is a faff. Tight packaging makes cable length / efficiency critical. 

But I like it. Might try some carpet racing, see what happens in mostly stock form with the 10.5t.

spacer.png

that looks awesome. If you're running on a high grip surface like carpet and the track is the sort that would be demanding on the transmission (e.g. requiring bursts of throttle or hard braking), then you might want to consider replacing the bevel gears that drive the center shaft with the metal options. Those bevels undergo a lot of strain and didn't last long on our outdoor turf track (even with a slipper set to loose). 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BloodClod said:

replacing the bevel gears that drive the center shaft with the metal options

Yep - I've done that, it has the slipper too, and diff nut 'upgrade's. 

I did wonder if the XV-01 one-way would go in the front - always enjoyed 4WDs set up with one.

3 hours ago, Howards said:

spacer.png

The colour scheme is very nice. What colour is that blue? I think it goes very well with the yellow.

1 minute ago, chris.alex said:

What colour is that blue?

It's the silly expensive metallic PS-49 'anodised sky blue'. You have to back it with black, somewhat confusingly too, so you end up laying down about £30 of paint on a £28 body set 😹 

• Thanks 1