Steelyglint

Advice on builds for 12 year olds

2 hours ago, Steelyglint said:

Advice please : one gearbox seems a bit tight compared to other two cars. I. E. Takes 40℅  more effort to turn wheels by hand. Should I strip or will it run in? 

That doesn't sound right. I'd investigate further. Are you sure it is the gearbox and not the wheel hubs?

19 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

That doesn't sound right. I'd investigate further. Are you sure it is the gearbox and not the wheel hubs?

Wasn't hubs because the contra rotation of the wheels was really smooth. Anyway turned out to be the pinion hard up against the motor casing. ( slipped through quality control 😁

• Like 1

Overly ambitious masking jobs, looking forward to paint runs, over spray(kids and shells!) and the bits we miss. 

IMG_20211003_164046.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steelyglint said:

Wasn't hubs because the contra rotation of the wheels was really smooth. Anyway turned out to be the pinion hard up against the motor casing. ( slipped through quality control 😁

Glad it was something simple and easily sorted!

7 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

it was something simple and easily sorted!

Yes. So simple I took the back end apart before I spotted it. :rolleyes:

A little help. I think the escs need re programming to stop the boys running the LIPOs down to 3 V. Is this correct? 

The sand vipers came with TBLE04S 

My TT02B is getting a LIPOs at the same time and is a TBLE02S.

The instructions are very similar but the resulting lights are the other way round. ? 

I. E.  For the 02 Short single flash = reverse enabled & low voltage protect ON. 

For the 04 long single flash = reverse enabled & low voltage protect ON. 

Can anyone confirm? 

Just now, Steelyglint said:

A little help. I think the escs need re programming to stop the boys running the LIPOs down to 3 V. Is this correct? 

The sand vipers came with TBLE04S 

My TT02B is getting a LIPOs at the same time and is a TBLE02S.

The instructions are very similar but the resulting lights are the other way round. ? 

I. E.  For the 02 Short single flash = reverse enabled & low voltage protect ON. 

For the 04 long single flash = reverse enabled & low voltage protect ON. 

Can anyone confirm? 

And out of curiosity why would one disable reverse? 

1 hour ago, Steelyglint said:

And out of curiosity why would one disable reverse? 

For racing. Reverse is usually illegal during races (on some tracks apparently even while not racing).

• Like 1

The finished items,  just been thrashed in garden, 3 loose servo savers and lots of smiles. Now googling thread lock.  Shame about masking tape on the green one but the other two came out really well. 

IMG_20211014_164610.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Steelyglint said:

The finished items,  just been thrashed in garden, 3 loose servo savers and lots of smiles. Now googling thread lock.  Shame about masking tape on the green one but the other two came out really well. 

Thread-lock will kill the plastic in your servo.  Try some candle wax first...

Others will have better suggestions...

Terry

• Thanks 1

Definitely thread lock only for metal into metal, never on plastic! But it's usually only screws that go into metal become loose due to vibration. Rarely happens in with plastic, unless it's stripped...

Small drop of CA glue can help with plastic...

• Thanks 1

I bought metal servos based on advice on the original replies so all on me as I had to order screws for them and I fitted them but not tight enough. Have tightened up so thread lock next step if they come Loose...And further reduced throttle end point based on last session of mayhem. Got my head round LiPos now. 

Interesting thoughts 🤔

I guess it depends on your kid(s) - because they’re all different, right ?

For me, our youngest (10) sliced through Tamiya’s First Try / TT02 kit 57986 with minimal help tightening self tappers - which retails for about £70 w/o a body or RC in the UK / pic below  

Pre-assembled complex components + overly linear instructions are an absolute joy for little people - and the TT02 can hold all manner of 257 / WB shells that will capture tiny attention if chosen to match their favourite movies or TV ?

Chose any decent lexan shell with window masks + pre cut decals and you can even teach tiny minds about colour pigmentation / how to simply layer rattle can paint - which is the bedrock of prism physics they’ll learn at school ! 

Finally, the TT02 is robust enough to cope with the initial thrashing / mistimed jumps that ensues - with abundant spares to fix or hop up to match a little person’s skill / interest 

Our James Bond Vanquish is attached - with sincere thanks to Fusion Hobbies for the kit + TC members @svenb +@purplerob for bits 👍

04E91411-779D-46CC-9110-AB6ECC201D21.jpeg

0AF6D8B6-432C-4368-8F5F-83674F4599EC.jpeg

• Like 2