Toad16v

Next kit to buy?

I started buying and building tamiya kits again back at the start of lockdown 1.0, what feels like 17 years back, started with a hornet, then a terra scorcher, a dark impact and then got a tt01, as I really fancied having a corrado bodyshell on a car. Up to that point I'd tended towards buggies for the off road capabilities and while they're great fun, I actually spend most of my time running cars around in the street outside my house and on road models seem to grab my attention more at the moment.

I've got to the point of wanting another kit. I enjoy building and upgrading them as much as running them and my tt01 is at about the limit of what I want to do with it - it's great fun, but I don't think I'll get benefits from spending more money, so the obvious, logical choice is to buy something else!

Has anyone any advice, or ideas? I'm tempted by an xv01, or perhaps one of the ta chassis, but definitely not interested in a tt02 - it feels like a sideways step from the tt01, not the step forward in interest or complexity that I want.

I just looked at the ta08 Pro. Looks interesting and fun, but perhaps a bit too honed for ragging about in the street.

Almost bought a dn01the other day, obviously not an on-road model, but was attracted to it being a bit of a step up.

Sticking to nimh batteries if that makes any difference.

If you like building and upgrading then I would look at the XV-01. I bought a 'T' version and enjoyed the build a lot. Kind of wish I'd bought the standard rally version now but it was cheaper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toad16v said:

but definitely not interested in a tt02 - it feels like a sideways step from the tt01, not the step forward in interest or complexity that I want.

Are you sure you can't be tempted by a TT-02 Type S? I fully understand not wanting a standard TT-02, having already had the experience of building and upgrading a TT-01, but the Type S is quite a different beast, effectively a TB-03 with a vertical front shock tower, a lower price tag and better spares availability. The suspension comes straight off the TB-03, the drivetrain layout is the same, the steering rack is if anything superior, and there are loads of upgrades available for it that can turn it into something very much on a par with the TB-03. I got one as a backup for my TB-03 track car, but nowadays I find I am even quicker with the TT-02 Type S!

Another avenue that you might consider is a M-chassis car. I see you don't mention having any in your fleet. I can heartily recommend the RWD M-08 or its FWD sibling the M-07. With quality, adjustability and design on a par with the latest TA and TB series cars (which were designed by the same chap), they are proper race-grade cars that are also at home hooning around a street. Although very capable in stock form, they also have an upgrade path that can make them even better.

Here is a shot of my three suggestions, M-08, TT-02 Type S and M-07 left-to-right.

2020-09-01_10-38-14

• Like 4

I wouldn't be put off by the TA08 Pro looking 'too good' for running in the street. It still has a plastic tub chassis which is what you need. You won't realise the full potential of the chassis unless you're on a track (but you could set that up and get a timing system) but it won't be worse than a TT02.

Look at the TB05 as well. Many people say that belts aren't as good on unprepared surfaces because small stones can get caught and damge the belt. I don't know if its true as its never happened to me. The TB05 is shaft driven and has a couple of motor positions you can try out which will totally change the car. The TA07 is belt drive and also has 3 motor positions you can try. Last time I saw them both in stock a TB05 Pro was cheaper than a TT02 Type SR (the uber TT02 with the best of the S and R kits but still plastic dampers) too and I know which I would buy.

The TA and TB cars are much better quality than a TT. It worth getting one just to see the difference, although your DN01 will be similar.

The only thing about a TA or TB car, if you get carried away with hopups you can end up looking at the pile of kit parts you have left over and think 'hmm, I wonder what I need to build another stock one' and the cycle repeats. Since you're not racing you will probably avoid most of the expensive bits but my tA07 has gone from Pro to essentially MS spec over the years. Of course this can happen with a TT02 as well.

In your position I would go for the TB05.

• Like 2

XV-01 is great for the street/garden, theres a long damper spec version as well. 

I found CC02 to be an enjoyable build - again good for street and garden, I haven't tried a CC01 - but assume they would be somewhat similar. 

MFX01 or M05Ra could be interesting but I've not tried one of those yet. 

• Like 1

I'll add another option to the mix then, how about a TA03 available for almost the same price as a TT02 and a way better on road chassis, belt drive and oil shocks as standard!

I've found the 03 much easier to set up than the 06, too much adjustment for my skill level.

Possibly the only downside is it's only available with the Porsche body that I know of, although I'm reasonably certain you can make a GTR body fit if you prepare Japanese.

The cheaper price than the other TA's also gives a bit of money left for some carbon or blue bits 😁😁

I don't know, perhaps I raced too much in my youth, but for street bashers I'd keep what you have (since you're not racing hardcore anyway and the TT01 has plenty of causal performance) and build something entirely different..perhaps spend a little more and get a vintage car or restore one?  Or buy several vintage junk cars for cheap and build an entirely new car?  Something not anyone can just buy and build.   Just thought I'd throw that out there.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

If you like building and upgrading then I would look at the XV-01. I bought a 'T' version and enjoyed the build a lot. Kind of wish I'd bought the standard rally version now but it was cheaper.

I am leaning towards the xv01. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Are you sure you can't be tempted by a TT-02 Type S? I fully understand not wanting a standard TT-02, having already had the experience of building and upgrading a TT-01, but the Type S is quite a different beast, effectively a TB-03 with a vertical front shock tower, a lower price tag and better spares availability. The suspension comes straight off the TB-03, the drivetrain layout is the same, the steering rack is if anything superior, and there are loads of upgrades available for it that can turn it into something very much on a par with the TB-03. I got one as a backup for my TB-03 track car, but nowadays I find I am even quicker with the TT-02 Type S!

Another avenue that you might consider is a M-chassis car. I see you don't mention having any in your fleet. I can heartily recommend the RWD M-08 or its FWD sibling the M-07. With quality, adjustability and design on a par with the latest TA and TB series cars (which were designed by the same chap), they are proper race-grade cars that are also at home hooning around a street. Although very capable in stock form, they also have an upgrade path that can make them even better.

Here is a shot of my three suggestions, M-08, TT-02 Type S and M-07 left-to-right.

2020-09-01_10-38-14

Thanks. I'll do some more research into the type s and the m models.

12 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I wouldn't be put off by the TA08 Pro looking 'too good' for running in the street. It still has a plastic tub chassis which is what you need. You won't realise the full potential of the chassis unless you're on a track (but you could set that up and get a timing system) but it won't be worse than a TT02.

Look at the TB05 as well. Many people say that belts aren't as good on unprepared surfaces because small stones can get caught and damge the belt. I don't know if its true as its never happened to me. The TB05 is shaft driven and has a couple of motor positions you can try out which will totally change the car. The TA07 is belt drive and also has 3 motor positions you can try. Last time I saw them both in stock a TB05 Pro was cheaper than a TT02 Type SR (the uber TT02 with the best of the S and R kits but still plastic dampers) too and I know which I would buy.

The TA and TB cars are much better quality than a TT. It worth getting one just to see the difference, although your DN01 will be similar.

The only thing about a TA or TB car, if you get carried away with hopups you can end up looking at the pile of kit parts you have left over and think 'hmm, I wonder what I need to build another stock one' and the cycle repeats. Since you're not racing you will probably avoid most of the expensive bits but my tA07 has gone from Pro to essentially MS spec over the years. Of course this can happen with a TT02 as well.

In your position I would go for the TB05.

Belt drive is something that I need to think about a bit more. Our street (if you're a highway surfacing geek like me) is an ac10 material which is starting to deteriorate leaving a lot of loose stones around. These are fine with a buggy but the tt01 shells direct them all into the tub where they collect around the electronics and battery. There's a lot of pinging and rattling as it nips down the road and I'm concerned that its not conducive to reliability with belts.

11 hours ago, Nwc100 said:

I'll add another option to the mix then, how about a TA03 available for almost the same price as a TT02 and a way better on road chassis, belt drive and oil shocks as standard!

I've found the 03 much easier to set up than the 06, too much adjustment for my skill level.

Possibly the only downside is it's only available with the Porsche body that I know of, although I'm reasonably certain you can make a GTR body fit if you prepare Japanese.

The cheaper price than the other TA's also gives a bit of money left for some carbon or blue bits 😁😁

I did spot the ta03 rs kit for sale. Its tempting! The porsche body would be fine for me - probably would get bashed up a bit, but I'm more interested in the driving rather than the looks. Thanks.

I’m not sure if this will help but I have an XV01 and had plenty of fun upgrading it to long damper spec. Added some cool hop ups and it goes really well. I also found a DF03ra at a hobby shop and that is pretty cool too. 
Speaking of the MF01X I purchased that one a couple of days ago to see how that goes. Plenty of awesome chassis out there. I haven’t had a look at TT-02 but probably will give in eventually. 

93D9FF19-C165-4D44-8180-275662037C71.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 5:09 AM, Toad16v said:

I am leaning towards the xv01. Thanks for the feedback.

You won't be disappointed. The XV is still my all time favorite chassis.

• Like 1

And the belt and electronics on the xv01 are reasonably well covered as its a rally chassis designed for loose surfaces.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, Chesty44 said:

I’m not sure if this will help but I have an XV01 and had plenty of fun upgrading it to long damper spec. Added some cool hop ups and it goes really well. I also found a DF03ra at a hobby shop and that is pretty cool too. 
Speaking of the MF01X I purchased that one a couple of days ago to see how that goes. Plenty of awesome chassis out there. I haven’t had a look at TT-02 but probably will give in eventually. 

93D9FF19-C165-4D44-8180-275662037C71.jpeg

I really like my Dark Impact. A DF03Ra would be a great option if I could find one.

Think it's going to be an xv01. After a bit of research, it looks like aluminium suspension pivots are the main upgrade I should be looking at - found a few online but they aren't cheap! Anything else to consider?

The carbon reinforced suspension blocks would be a fine alternative to the alloy ones, the carbon reinforced hubs are a cheap and worthy upgrade as well. 

CVDs or DCJ Driveshafts for the the front are worthwhile. 

• Like 1

Ordered a few bits for an xv 01, will order the kit next week when I've paid off some of the credit card bill.

The xv01 has been great. Lovely build. Now I have more time to kill and a hankering for another kit. Thinking the ta03r-s (47443). Seems a reasonable priced kit, not loads of hop-ups available but I have other kits to throw money into blue bits for.

Any feedback on these kits? Ideally I'd get a Zahhak but there aren't any available at the moment.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:11 AM, Nwc100 said:

Edit: just realised my reply is no longer valid. 

I haven’t run mine much, the only upgrade I’ve done on it is swap the pinion over to a 23T I think as the kit comes with a 13T or something equally mad and dropped in a sports tuned, it’s more than quick enough for me and I run mine in the street outside my house, the actual road is ok but it leads to a parking area that is mostly loose gravel type stuff and  the cars drag some onto the road, no issue with the belt or anything but does bounce occasionally on some of the bigger stuff! It’s a great runner and is really too quick for my bit of road, my TT01 truck is actually about the streets limit with a torque tuned and standard pinion!

I’d say go for it, they can be picked up cheap enough and it’s a nice build as well, and you can go street or full on racing with the body shell!

I recently got an FF03 chassis and this was a wonderful experience, being FWD and thus quite different in handling compared to my TT01/2 and M06 cars. Most of my running is on improvised "tracks" made by putting some markers on parking lots. The diferent handling of the FF03 opened up a greater understanding on RC driving skills in general, plus the intricacies of setups.

Would greatly recommend getting an FF03.

I've heard the XV-01 behaves like a mixture of a 4WD and a FWD car.

12 hours ago, Toad16v said:

The xv01 has been great. Lovely build. Now I have more time to kill and a hankering for another kit. Thinking the ta03r-s (47443). Seems a reasonable priced kit, not loads of hop-ups available but I have other kits to throw money into blue bits for.

Any feedback on these kits? Ideally I'd get a Zahhak but there aren't any available at the moment.

Regards the Zahhak that would be my next choice if I was in your position, if you can get ahold of one, they do pop up now and then. There’s plenty hop ups as it’s a de-tuned TRF 201 essentially.  Brilliant and capable cars depends how deep your pockets are. I like the look of the TA-03’s too. Either way I’m sure either one would be a good addition for you!