Silverado

TA-02 Calibra

20 hours ago, svenb said:

I used chrome yellow and its as close a match as I could find

Thanks, I may try it later. the one I used is not that close match, but will let it be for now.  Or just get the brush stuff and spray clear over to make it smooth.

1 hour ago, Silverado said:

Thanks, I may try it later. the one I used is not that close match, but will let it be for now.  Or just get the brush stuff and spray clear over to make it smooth.

16260139185818487454484782325370.jpg

On 7/11/2021 at 2:12 PM, Silverado said:

Or just get the brush stuff and spray clear over to make it smooth

Not sure clearcoat will hide brush lines unless it's quite thick, which gives it a glassy, unrealistic look.

If the paint is the right consistency, you can use a wide soft brush and achieve a smooth finish.

Humbrol enamel paints were just the right consistency straight from the can, but tamiya acrylics work better thinned, or better still, thinned then sprayed through an airbrush.

I've not used tamiya enamel paints but I imagine they are easier to brush than their acrylics. 

15 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That is sweet as a nut! Will it be a runner?

Thanks, it will be run lightly. I dont have shelf queens. I have tried to have collection of shelf queens but I cant just look and not ever drive these.

Hoping to have time for good video of this soon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Superb, great seeing it outside and running.

Looks plenty quick enough as well 👍

Thanks,

The new esc works well with the sport tuned motor. Really smooth response. The brakes are quite soft but it may be the motor also.

Speed is decent, nothing like brushless but quick enough to keep it interesting .

The Ruddog bearings roll so smooth,center shaft did not wobble like the coat hanger/stock -really enjoyed the drive.

Used my only round case lipo, very old 3300mah 2s.

The handling is quite good, I did add some toe out from kit settings and shimmed the axle slop away. The front was shimmed inside the hubs with 10mm shims and rears outside with 5mm shims. It added a bit track width to the rear.

Still some play in the suspension arms that I may or may not do. it is a good car to drive still, it must have been a great car when first released loong ago.

I have always loved the red/black TA-02 color and design. Hoping to see more of these DTM cars on this chassis.

• Like 2

Nice to see Tamiya re-releasing an "ordinary" 257mm wheelbase TA02 after the TA02S Lancia and SW Porsches such that body choice is no longer limited.

Look forward to see the same happens on TA03. The TA03RS 911 is sexy but I'm thirsty for a 257mm TA03F or R.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:13 PM, Silverado said:

I have always loved the red/black TA-02 color and design. Hoping to see more of these DTM cars on this chassis.

I can actually imagine people buying this Calibra kit just for the chassis and then another TT01E Mercedes 190E or C-Klasse (the yellow ProMartk one) just for the body.

Yeah, from Tamiya's viewpoint sales will double. That's why they keep pairing nostalgic bodies with the TT01E.