Sign in to follow this  
FC5687

Seeking comments on ZX7

What is your comment about ZX7? 

Between Yokomo YZ4 SF2 and ZX7, which one is more suitable for dirt run??

• Like 1

I had a ZX6 but switched to HB after that. The ZX6 was fast on carpet/higher grip, less so on dirt. Changing to the HB D418 immediately gained 2 sec a lap on a 45sec lap and that was swapping the electronics over so the chassis kit was the only change. The 6.6 gained a centre diff which would've been better, but i think also gullwing arms which are usually for higher grip, so not sure how much better that would've been compared to the ZX6.

The ZX7 has gone back to a slipper and also added chassis stiffening which to me makes it sound like a car for high grip rather than dirt. The layout looks similar to others tho with mid motor rather than front or rear.

I found the Kyosho fit and finish to be brilliant, much better than Ae or HB, but the ZX6 was more fragile. I didn't break too much stuff as I ran stock but did have a few DNF over 2 seasons of racing. It's not uncommon to see Kyoshos not finish a race on mod. I haven't not finished a race with the HB in 2 years,, it is far more durable than Kyosho.

I have heard good things about the Yokomo and know that they offer kits for either high grip or low grip, so if you get the right one they should be good. Durability appears very good too, I know a few who run them and they like them. I just bought a secondhand HB off a guy who was running it indoors and switched to Yokomo which suggests their durability is good, otherwise you wouldn't switch from a tank like HB as you can't win if you don't finish. His reason for going to Yokomo is they are designed for carpet rather than a dirt car that you have to adapt to carpet.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments!

One thing I don't like Kyosho back in the days. They are very fragile. But their 2WD are very good. Frankly, I prefer Kyosho over AE, how come no mention about X-ray XB4. I see lots of people love it.

A few people I know run Xray and they like them. They appear to be pretty durable too. Actually most things are except Kyosho thinking about it.

The most common brands at my outdoor offroad club are HB (4wd) Ae (mostly 2wd but some 4wd) Tekno (4wd) Losi (2wd only i think) Xray (4wd) Yokomo (2wd and 4wd) and Kyosho. The Kyosho 4wd are the only ones that seem fragile, everything else is really reliable, including the Kyosho Ultima. 

Like all clubs there are those that buy the latest every release, but more like me who buy a mix of secondhand and new cars and tend to hold on to them for longer. 

• Thanks 1

I like the latedt Ultima and it would the one to go for 2WD again!!

Here is my list for a new 4WD off-road before this thread.

Kyosho ZX7

Serpent SDX4 EVO

Team Corally SBX-410

XRAY XB4

Sounds like I should remove the Kyosho. And now only has three left.