Glowingtomato

Tires are covered in white stuff?

So opened my FF03 Civic today, I heard it has LED buckets so I wanted to see what size I need. And the tires covered in white! Is this normal? I got the kit last year from Tamiya USAs website. It does seem like it rubs off so I assume it wouldn't be too bad to run them. Should I look at ordering some replacements? 

I do know this kit is pretty old so I'm assuming its due to age. 

20210630_222036.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of them are like that. Im not 100% certain what it is but think it might be the stuff they use during moulding to stop the tyres sticking to the tool that when new is slightly oily feeling but on older ones drys out. It comes off easily with washing in some warm water with fairy liquid.

• Like 2

It just means that you didn't drive enough. Look at the sad state of my Blackfoot tires... 

b1RIV5A.jpg

Putting them in a sealed bag tends to make it (what ever "it" is) not react to ozone from electrical stuff in the house. (I think. I'm not 100% sure on that.)

The conclusion is that it's not fatal. (Unless you lick it. Well, I'm not even sure about that, either. But I'm not going to be the first one to try and die.)  I should wash them, maybe lubricate them with WD40 or something and put them in a bag.  

39 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

What happens after 24h if you lick them?

You gain super powers? Stomach ache? Needs more salt?

@Juggular, is that a new, shrink wrapped Bigwig, I see atop that open Blackfoot box?

• Haha 1

Release agent.

Similar was posted on Facebook the other day, if you must get it off, seemingly a few seconds with a heat gun, or a hairdryer is meant to remove it, but I just run them as is.

• Like 2

I had the same thing from a set of stock TA05 tires that sat in storage for several years.  I don't think its release agent because over time they grew progressively whiter and more hazed so it appears to be some type of oxidation of a chemical that was leeching out of the tire compound.  Whatever the case, doesn't really matter.  The important bit of information is that it is easily cleaned and the tires can be quickly reconditioned as suggested in the above comments.

Personally, I put on some rubber gloves and cleaned the tires off with TDK odorless tire traction compound that we use in indoor racing.  They look and feel like new again.

I read a guy on here once say something along the lines of it was a component of the rubber coming to the top like bloom on chocolate. As I recall he suggested a few minutes of high heat in a tumble dryer and a few people reported it worked for them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

Probably the mold release agent. 

This 

I’ve never assembled a Clod but I hear they are notorious for this 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glowingtomato said:

I'm glad the consensus is its nothing to worry about. I didn't want to glue them on and have them fall apart right away. 

Mold release agent as indicated by other people, you can clean it straight away with tire prep like SXT and it will come right off. You should at least periodically condition your tires with tire prep once in a while anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saito2 said:

is that a new, shrink wrapped Bigwig, I see atop that open Blackfoot box?

No, my Bigwig was already built.  It's just the box.  

When I open a shrink wrapped box, I cut the bottom square off.  I leave the rest on top.  I use 4 pieces of tape to secure it. That way the box stays covered in plastic.  If it gets dust or grease, I can just wipe it off.  I don't really know why I do that.  It's not like re-re boxes are rare. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I don't really know why I do that.  It's not like re-re boxes are rare. 

All kit boxes are meant to be saved - it's the law

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

All kit boxes are meant to be saved - it's the law

Very true. It even applies when you have too many boxes that you know need to be broken down or stored elsewhere to make some much needed storage space for the new kits you have purchased or have yet to build. The current boxes MUST be on display and you need to get creative is storing the new kit boxes along side the older ones.

6 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

This 

I’ve never assembled a Clod but I hear they are notorious for this 

Rumour has it that Clod tyres have more mold release agent than Mold.

And that it takes 3 men 2 evolutions of the moon to release one clodbuster tyre.

FACT

• Haha 1

it wipes off pretty quick.  I just used a bit of windex on a microfibre and it came off without messing with the tires

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Rumour has it that Clod tyres have more mold release agent than Mold.

And that it takes 3 men 2 evolutions of the moon to release one clodbuster tyre.

FACT

do they need moon dust to serve as an abrasive to remove? that sounds long winded and expensive...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, nel33 said:

do they need moon dust to serve as an abrasive to remove? that sounds long winded and expensive...

That's why Clodbusters have been in production forever,

It's like the forth road bridge, as soon as they produce one tyre, they have to start again..

• Like 1