amebbb

Setting up ESC issues - help !

Hi there

I need some help please with my vintage Tamiya RC car.

Today i tried to use the car but i cannot control it from my reciever. So i tried to set up the ESC and followed the instruction manual guide, trolled through Youtube etc and i got nothing at all.

The set up i have is as follows:

Transmitter - 2Ch Acoms Techniplus

Transmitter Crystal - 27.045Mhz

Reciever - Acoms 2Ch reciever (AR-2 /27)

Reciever Crystal - 27.045

ESC - Tamiya TEU-101BK

So, here is how everything is connected in my car.

The reciever has the steering server connected in Channel 1 socket and ESC is plugged in to the Channel 2 socket.

The ESC has its battery connected too.

During setup the motor was disconnected.

I followed the procedure where the transmitter was in neutral settings etc .

I switched on the power switch and then pressed the set button for about 1sec.

Then i pushed up the (CH2) stick and pressed set and then pushed it down and pressed set.

The lights did not change or do anything. I switched of the power and switched it on again.

The ESC beeped twice and the red LED flashes away with a beeping too. I also noticed the the wheels are twitching and the steering servo also twitches now and again.

I understand that previously i would hear this beeping noise (when the car was working ) when the transmitter was disconnected and when switched on the beeping noise would go and the car would be drivable.

These are the checks that i have carried out.

- Transmitter works well on other cars using the same 27.045Mhz Crystal.

-Replaced the ESC and Acoms recioever.

-Checked wiring etc

So, cxan anyone give me any other fresh ideas to what i need to do please?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Have you connected in the old 4x AA battery pod into the receivers batt port? , you wont need that , the power is drawn from the stick pack . Did you press the set button long enough in between each step . If you replaced the receiver to an different one then make sure it has BEC as the 101BK doesn't have BEC .

Ignoring the ESC for a moment, does the steering work when everything is plugged in?

If not, the receiver is not sending power to the receiver (and not getting signal back from it either), which suggests the ESC is not plugged into to the receiver correctly (possibly a reversed plug). Could also be that the receiver does not have a BEC circuit inside it if it is very old.

14 hours ago, sosidge said:

Ignoring the ESC for a moment, does the steering work when everything is plugged in?

If not, the receiver is not sending power to the receiver (and not getting signal back from it either), which suggests the ESC is not plugged into to the receiver correctly (possibly a reversed plug). Could also be that the receiver does not have a BEC circuit inside it if it is very old.

Thank you very much for your reply.

When i first got the RC car it came with the transmitter. Both had been working well with no issues.

I have been able to test the transmitter with another RC Car (lunch box) and it all works perfectly witrh no issues.

You may be right that i may not be getting a connection with the reciever and transmitter or i am not setting it up corectly.

I have followed the instructions online to set up the reciever and still i get nothing.

Now, i do have 2 pairs of radio recievers and ESC units. Both cannot be faulty and both have been used to test the transmitter etc and both have not worked. So this suggests that i could be setting up the units incorrectly.

I will try again and let you guys know what happened next.

Thank you and have a nice day.

15 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Have you connected in the old 4x AA battery pod into the receivers batt port? , you wont need that , the power is drawn from the stick pack . Did you press the set button long enough in between each step . If you replaced the receiver to an different one then make sure it has BEC as the 101BK doesn't have BEC .

Hi, I have not connected any other power supply to the unit. the voltage coumes from the ESC in to the reciever.

My reciever has three plugs going in to it. Red plug from the ESC goes in to the top socket, ESC connector goes to CH2 and the steering servo goes in to CH1

Just out of intrest. How long should i press the button on the reciever when i am setting it up for ?

Thank you

You need to press the set button long enough for the lights to flash to acknowledge the setting . Have you got the ESC , Receiver and red plugg the right way round ? , the black wire should be on the right as you plug them in . The small red plug should only fit one way anyway but the black wire should be on the right

Just now, KEV THE REV said:

You need to press the set button long enough for the lights to flash to acknowledge the setting . Have you got the ESC , Receiver and red plugg the right way round ? , the black wire should be on the right as you plug them in . The small red plug should only fit one way anyway but the black wire should be on the right

Hi

Yes you are right. the red wire will only go in one direction and it fits fine.

The other two connectors are connected correctly as they both have the black wire to the nearest edge on the unit.

when programming, how long should i press the set button for ?

Thanks

You need to press the button for around 1 second , release the set button then the the lights should flash to let you know it has read that setting , then move to the next setting . When you first switch on the ESC , the light should flash once , then press the set button with the stick in neutral , led's should flash , then move throttle to foreward max speed , press the button , led's should double flash , then pull stick back to full reverse , then press button led should turn off . This all has to be done in one session to complete the set up , you can't do one bit then switch off and come back to it .

12 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

You need to press the button for around 1 second , release the set button then the the lights should flash to let you know it has read that setting , then move to the next setting . When you first switch on the ESC , the light should flash once , then press the set button with the stick in neutral , led's should flash , then move throttle to foreward max speed , press the button , led's should double flash , then pull stick back to full reverse , then press button led should turn off . This all has to be done in one session to complete the set up , you can't do one bit then switch off and come back to it .

The way i have been doing it is where i have disconnected the motor.

Switch on the unit and press the set button for 1 second or so.

Then on the transmitter i will push up on the accelarator and hold it there then press the set button. Then push the stick down to reverse and press the set button and finally, leave the stick in neutral and press the set button.

Then switch off and restart.

but i will try now and see if i can make it work like you suggested.

Thanks

You seem to be doing everything right . Make sure the led's flash to acknowledge each setting in sequence before moving to the next setting . Once the settings are complete it should respond to your controls , you should be able to use it without switching off and on again

7 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

You seem to be doing everything right . Make sure the led's flash to acknowledge each setting in sequence before moving to the next setting . Once the settings are complete it should respond to your controls , you should be able to use it without switching off and on again

i am just doing the settings now. as i switch on the ESC i get a double flash and then after i press the set button i get continueous red flashing led and that dosnt change.

16 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

So, i tried to do the settings again.

The results were more or less the same as before.

Once i switch on the ESC i will then hold down the set button after the first beep.

After this the LED will carry on flashing regardless of anything else that i am doing with the settings.

Thanks

Is the stick battery charged , and you have good batteries in your handset ?  .

1 minute ago, KEV THE REV said:

Is the stick battery charged , and you have good batteries in your handset ?  .

Yes, i have fresh batteries in the transmitter and the stick battery has a full charge on it.

Could it be the crystal on the reciever may be at fault?   I heard that you have a Reciever crystal (R) and a transmitter crystal (T) both with the same frequency.  If these were used the other way round would that cause connection issues?

Thanks

It is possible that the crystal could be faulty , have you tried both of these crystals in another car to test them ? There is a TX and an RX marked on the T /R crystals near to the 27.045 frequency stamp . Just to check that you receivers are 27mhz AM - not FM

21 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

It is possible that the crystal could be faulty , have you tried both of these crystals in another car to test them ? There is a TX and an RX marked on the T /R crystals near to the 27.045 frequency stamp . Just to check that you receivers are 27mhz AM - not FM

The frequency of the crystals used is 27.045.

Both reciever and transmitter have the same frequency crystals installed. There is No sign of any indication to say if the crystals are Recieve or transmit.

The reciever has a 27.045 crystal that i have used on my other RC car and it all works well.

Just to eliminate any possible issues with the crystals i have ordered two crystals that i can replace on my setup.

Thanks

Have you got a AA battery pod that takes 4 batteries like the old school ? If you have , unplug the ESC from the receiver including the red wire , leave the steering servo connected . Connect the battery pod into the receiver BATT port . Switch on your handset and you should be able to operate the steering , then unplug the steering servo and plug it into the ESC post #2 on the receiver . You should also be able to operate the servo . This will tell you that the receiver / servo and crystals are working and that the issue is with the ESC

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Have you got a AA battery pod that takes 4 batteries like the old school ? If you have , unplug the ESC from the receiver including the red wire , leave the steering servo connected . Connect the battery pod into the receiver BATT port . Switch on your handset and you should be able to operate the steering , then unplug the steering servo and plug it into the ESC post #2 on the receiver . You should also be able to operate the servo . This will tell you that the receiver / servo and crystals are working and that the issue is with the ESC

NO, but i can get one to test it and use the volt meter to test the output voltage too... good tip - thank you

I sow once, on the crystal letter R, it is for receiver, On the other crystal, letter T, transmitter. I am not sure it means somethink.

33 minutes ago, zappto said:

I sow once, on the crystal letter R, it is for receiver, On the other crystal, letter T, transmitter. I am not sure it means somethink.

I would say that T is for transmitter and R is for reciever. However, i am not sure if this would make any difference if they were inserted the other way round etc - i could be wrong though

I have been checking again today and i think i may need to purchase a new 2ch 27Mhz reciever with possibly a new ESC too.

After trying so many things i cannot get the transmitter to connect with reciever.

thanks

Are the handset and receiver both 27MHZ AM ? . I guess your handset shows power when you switch on ? .

20 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Are the handset and receiver both 27MHZ AM ? . I guess your handset shows power when you switch on ? .

Yes both the handset and reciever have the same crystals - 27.045b Mhz  AM

I think that the reciever is not connecting with the transmitter. But, i have tried 2 recievers and both are the same.