FC5687

Jamie Booth kit

This is the first time I see this kit. Never heard of that before. I'm really curious how it compete with the Top Force Evo?

Much better looking than the stock Egress!

• Like 2

By most accounts, this was the link between the Avante/Egress series and what would become the Top Force/Evo (as noted in the video). IIRC, Booth started with the Egress which would become a bit of a development mule. The Full Option kit replicates the parts from Jamie's Egress, some of which were developed with Jamie's input and others which Tamiya designers were simply interested in experimenting with. Booth would transition to a "highly modified" Manta Ray which would basically become the Top Force in production. 

• Like 1

What a weird kit... why would you go to the effort to make it then produce less than 20 of them?

And FWIW TRF didn't exist way back then.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sweatpants said:

That video makes me uneasy lol

+1. :lol:

I'm not sure if I'm more baffled by the video & comments or the upgrade kit...? :unsure:

I was going a bit glass eyed🤔 I'm a bit confused (that's not difficult) is it a trf genuine product?

On 7/5/2021 at 8:10 AM, djmcnz said:

What a weird kit... why would you go to the effort to make it then produce less than 20 of them?

Design is one thing, but production will eat you money. What if you as a private do 200 kits and you sold 40 at the end?

Also its about keeping things rare.

On 7/5/2021 at 8:10 AM, djmcnz said:

To preserve the mystiuqe and keeping that rare feeling, I guess.

Don't agree about that last comment, it's an obvious fact that there were "official" TRF stickers (same style as they supplied in the 211X kits) on the works drivers cars already back in 1990, so the concept obviously existed. Wether or not they actually planned for the future with it - who knows. But saying it didn't exist is a bit far fetched.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, FC5687 said:

This is the first time I see this kit. Never heard of that before. I'm really curious how it compete with the Top Force Evo?

Much better looking than the stock Egress!

It's a way more complicated car than the Top Force. In the right hands the TRF Egress could probably give it a close run, but from my little running experience with the car it's certainly harder work to make it as quick. I forced myself to keep it very much stock though - hicap shocks, std shock mounts, tamiya springs etc which limited the setup somewhat and made it a lot harder.

To me it felt quite stable, not always as agile as the Top Force but very good over the bumps and jumps. I've only ran it on small, tight tracks and it might be a different story on quicker tracks. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 12:53 PM, moffman said:

I was going a bit glass eyed🤔 I'm a bit confused (that's not difficult) is it a trf genuine product?

No, it's a modern replica of the development parts that Jamie Booth ran on the Egress back in the early 90s. It's not a Tamiya product.

I remember making my own wishbone rear end for my Avante 2001 using Madcap parts (which I think may have been what Jamie used) and a piece of scrap plastic from my dads workshop. It lasted about half a lap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

I remember making my own wishbone rear end for my Avante 2001 using Madcap parts

According to the Jamie Booth interview, while he didn't remember any particular issues with the stock rear suspension, Tamiya designers handmade complete new front and rear suspensions at the same time for testing.

10 hours ago, pUs said:

Don't agree about that last comment, it's an obvious fact that there were "official" TRF stickers (same style as they supplied in the 211X kits) on the works drivers cars already back in 1990, so the concept obviously existed. Wether or not they actually planned for the future with it - who knows. But saying it didn't exist is a bit far fetched.

Of course you're right, my bad. They started with the original Avante (https://www.tamiyausa.com/trf-about/). I don't recall seeing any TRF branding in the late 80's or early 90's though, Avant, Egress and TFE were never called, referred to or branded as TRF vehicles, also no mention on boxes or instructions, you also couldn't buy "TRF" parts.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 8:26 AM, djmcnz said:

Of course you're right, my bad. They started with the original Avante (https://www.tamiyausa.com/trf-about/). I don't recall seeing any TRF branding in the late 80's or early 90's though, Avant, Egress and TFE were never called, referred to or branded as TRF vehicles, also no mention on boxes or instructions, you also couldn't buy "TRF" parts.

Yeah no cars were branded TRF in their designation until the 211X came out (spring 1992 with the "official" kit, some works drivers had an earlier revision a few months before that). Remember seeing "TRF 211X" in tech charts and found it really weird back then :) Everybody knew it was a prototype for sure, but it actually had a name.. ?

The TRF stickers were seen from summer 1990 though, but only on the factory drivers cars. Jamie Booth, Steve Haynes + a couple of the japanese drivers.