Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just to share my experience with order from Uk after Brexit: after almost 20 years of stuff purchased in the United Kingdom I'm sad to witness that the party is over. Here in Italy longer delivery times and taxes are back :mellow:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you get someone here from the UK to forward stuff on to you or are the taxes being added on locally?

I thought this was also going to be an issue but so far this year have ordered quite a few parts from Europe (mainly via ebay) and not a single one has been picked up for the additional tax. It might be Royal Mail cant be bothered to deal with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've purchased RC items almost every month this year, mostly from Uk and I've only experienced (not much) longer delivery times but the last one have been delivered in one month (never before) and comes with italian custom receipt for taxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you buying the parts direct from a retailler in the uk who is applying a customs declaration label with the item description and value on it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Are you buying the parts direct from a retailler in the uk who is applying a customs declaration label with the item description and value on it?

 

This time yes, others from Ebay... I guess it makes difference as I guess It will make difference the dimension of dispatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Can you get someone here from the UK to forward stuff on to you or are the taxes being added on locally?

I thought this was also going to be an issue but so far this year have ordered quite a few parts from Europe (mainly via ebay) and not a single one has been picked up for the additional tax. It might be Royal Mail cant be bothered to deal with it.

Same here. I have bought quite a few items from Europe and they were quite pricey too. No customs fees or VAT added at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the UK is not in the EU. So you should expect to pay taxes and duties.

However you should also have the VAT (sales tax) removed from any purchases from VAT-registered UK businesses. This won't help with private second-hand purchases, and a lot of UK traders may not be interested in the administration of doing tax-free sales (it's easy, but not as easy as selling to the UK only).

Same when we in the UK buy from Europe. Tax and duty is due, but tax should be deducted by the EU seller.

But yes, the UK is now effectively the same as the US or the Far East for EU member states. And it's been like this for over 6 months.

If the Italian customs want to hold a package for a month, that's more a reflection of their processes than the UK's departure from the EU. I've ordered from the EU this year and received my goods within days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy from Germany (or even France).

After making the preposterous decision, on dubious grounds to Brexit, the UK doesn't really deserve foreign money.

The UK is an easy decision if you speak English as a second language but it's going to become less and less desirable/economic so you might as well get used to Deutsch or Français.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sosidge said:

If the Italian customs want to hold a package for a month, that's more a reflection of their processes than the UK's departure from the EU. I've ordered from the EU this year and received my goods within days.

Italian customs, in this case, are managed by italian post and italian post are a calamity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

The UK is an easy decision if you speak English as a second language but it's going to become less and less desirable/economic so you might as well get used to Deutsch or Français.

Uk is unbeateble for prices, variety and shipping rates (that are often proportional to the packet sizes) for these reasons during this years I've bought mainly from Uk: fishing items, clothes and, of course, RC items.

Tamiya spares were in prompt delivery and generally speaking I've experienced kindness and professionality that made me confident about shopping in Uk.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeekelemental said:

Italian customs, in this case, are managed by italian post and italian post are a calamity.

Spain is no better - I shipped some plumbing hardware to my father over 2 months ago (12 April) via UPS and the box still hasn't been delivered.

UPS got it to Madrid in 4 days and it hasn't moved since.

The previous shipment, via DPD, took a month but before Brexit packages were taking about 5 days.

Parcel2Go sent me a mail last week about various local-tax declaration option which have just been introduced -  I can't see things improving for some time.

An 18kg package to Spain via DPD Road used to cost around £20 to Spain - DPD don't even offer to ship to Spain at present and the likes of UPS now only offer services around £100

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you typically getting the UK VAT of 20% taken off by the seller over here first before shippibg or was the price still good for you even with our taxes stuck on top?

To be honest Im surprised as I always assumed we were more expensive typically for new kits compared to Tamico and other european distributors. Plus we dont ever seem to have the same spares availability.

Im happy to help out if you find stuff you want and then I can post it on in "discrete" packaging for the discerning gentleman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, there's no way the UK is (or even was) less expensive (on balance) than continental Europe for anything other than UK made goods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's all just be happy we've got our "zero downsides" Brexit.

**** me gently, what a **** up.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Were you typically getting the UK VAT of 20% taken off by the seller over here first before shippibg or was the price still good for you even with our taxes stuck on top?

To be honest Im surprised as I always assumed we were more expensive typically for new kits compared to Tamico and other european distributors. Plus we dont ever seem to have the same spares availability.

Im happy to help out if you find stuff you want and then I can post it on in "discrete" packaging for the discerning gentleman.

Prices include UK VAT  and if there isn't shipping documents I guess for italian customs VAT or not makes no difference. Italian VAT and other taxes are calculated also on shipping costs.

To me UK is a huge source of right priced spares and several dedicated well priced items (bearings and more)... I will continue to buy this stuff and I will see.

You are kind but I've got a sort of uncle that lives in Cardiff that I will disturb for this kind of things B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Im happy to help out if you find stuff you want and then I can post it on in "discrete" packaging for the discerning gentleman.

How discrete?

yu7phx4j3nr41.jpg

 

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know who this affects private sellers? either to or from the UK?  I need to send a parcel from Spain to the UK, it's a private sale (not shop, business, etc), and neither myself or the buyer know if he might be liable for import tax or other charges. Prices have definitely gone up, aprox 75% more expensive for postage (it's a courier size box, not a small PO type packet), but at my end no other charges are showing up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, foz75 said:

Does anyone know who this affects private sellers? either to or from the UK?  I need to send a parcel from Spain to the UK, it's a private sale (not shop, business, etc), and neither myself or the buyer know if he might be liable for import tax or other charges. Prices have definitely gone up, aprox 75% more expensive for postage (it's a courier size box, not a small PO type packet), but at my end no other charges are showing up. 

A UK buyer of imported privately sold goods you should expect to be charged VAT and duty on them, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, foz75 said:

Does anyone know who this affects private sellers? either to or from the UK?  I need to send a parcel from Spain to the UK, it's a private sale (not shop, business, etc), and neither myself or the buyer know if he might be liable for import tax or other charges. Prices have definitely gone up, aprox 75% more expensive for postage (it's a courier size box, not a small PO type packet), but at my end no other charges are showing up. 

When you export, you fill out a declaration which contains a simple description of goods (for duty code purposes) and the value of the goods (for VAT purposes).
On parcel sites, it's all part of the booking process. If using a local post office it may just be a simple sticky-label.
That's all the exporter has to do.

When parcel hits UK customs, the value and description (and possibly postage costs) are used to determine the taxes due and the UK recipient has to pay those, usually along with a fixed-rate (not percentage) clearing fee to the carrier.

 

There are certain thresholds at which taxes etc. are payable in the UK but I've no idea what these are post-Brexit, so the recipient should look into this to prepare themselves for the 'worst case'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy from UK sent ma a rare 90s competition buggy for inspection and return. Tax office wanted me to pay 1100€ because of the items hight value. LoL

Btw toda, I shut down my ebay sellers account (a few spare parts and non available repro parts) because also ebay charges moe and more.

I dont do big business, its more fun and pleasure helping out others to bring their Dynas back on the track.

All this new regulations took the fun out. Sorry for you guys, it was a pleasure.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I understand, it's the same as sending / receiving parts from over the pond in the states? 

Undervaluing goods , to save on duty may cost, as that's the price they'll be insured for. So think before, doing someone a favour.. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The changes to customs process etc is spite more than anything. Pre Brexit how long did a parcel take to clear from a country outside the EU? Down here I see the tracking updates and stuff is through customs in an hour or so and we dont3have any free trade zones (ironically we used to, with the UK, til they ditched us for the EU). I followed the debates prior to the vote and both sides were pedalling misinformatuon, and the stuff about goods slowing down at the border was scaremongering as it doesn't need to happen, and if it is happening then its spiteful or from poor planning.

Every other country has a seamless customs process now, so there is no excuse.

About that removing the VAT  on exports thing, most do, but L&L don't and wouldn't when i messaged and asked. Took a few wines to get the courage to order what became a $100 Mondeo body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a delivery from UK today. The price was about 9 € incl. postage. Had to pay 1,85€ for custom and a handling fee of 6€ for DHL. Lessons learned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing over here. Price was € 31,55 including postage. Had to pay € 5,16 for customs and a handling fee of € 4,00. In the EU this will apply to all deliveries from outside the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2021 at 4:50 PM, bavee said:

In the EU this will apply to all deliveries from outside the EU.

More information:

New rules for purchases from non-EU countries
VAT exemption has expired as of 1st of July 2021
Any purchases you make outside of the European Union (EU) are potentially a bit more expensive now than before 1 July.

Do you buy products from outside of the EU?
Before 1 July, you only had to pay VAT and other import fees if the value of the products was €22 or higher. Now however, you will be required to pay VAT regardless of their value. This was decided by the EU.

What are import fees?
Import fees are costs you have to pay when you buy something from a country outside of the EU. They can include VAT, handling fees and import duties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...