Greanie

TA02 / SW - - - Chassis replacement (Porsche 934)?

Folks,

Need some guidance - looking for a chassis to put this on. I normally spend on the front end time getting the body done . . . and then im Motivated to get it rolling (or sitting on the shelf for this one, lol). 
Thoughts on a chassis, since getting a TA02SW is not very cost effective. I see a TA03RS ( which is currently attached to the porsche 911 gt1 street) is only a single MM off, but im not sure about the width.

Any other chassis recommendations? Also looking to build the Orange Jaeger car as well, so getting multiple chassis would be ideal. (The new TA02 Opel doesnt seem to have the correct wheelbase length, but the "S" modification is maybe what im missing). 

IMG_0758.jpg

• Like 1

The issue is even if you could get a 02SW or an 03S chassis, both of them are 6mm too long.  I’m not sure if eBay seller maxspeede is making the 230 chassis or not. 

• Like 1

Nice! Do you know whose wheels they? They look like they have properly open spokes and not moulded webs between them like the tamiya ones.

I got my shortened chassis plates from maxspeed parts without any issues. That was just prior to the coronapocalypse - was it you Shodog who had some issues with him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

was it you Shodog who had some issues with him?

It took nearly a year to get one but I finally did and I love the fit. 

Those wheels are from MST and they look great. However the way their made with the changeable offset doesn’t look like they would be strong enough for car park bashing. 

Another option is the Lancia 037 on the TA-02s chassis. Currently selling for about $200. You could resell the Lancia body to recoup costs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume you have seen this (of course such a project involves CAD drawing to get custom carbon parts etc, certainly not straightforward, but really cool):

• Like 1

Yes, they are MST wheels . .. VERY nice look. I do intend for it to be used only for Display . . . if i ever drive it, would be inside and maybe only on other tires. 

Im going to read through that Thread, thanks!

I didnt realize the wheelbase would still be 'off' even if i was 1mm off from the original TA02SW chassis, 236mm.

Thanks, for the help. 

• Like 1

Its more than that, i believe the shell was originally designed for a 230mm wheelbase.

I really should do more thorough research before bowling in and buying body shells :rolleyes:.

24 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I really should do more thorough research before bowling in and buying body shells :rolleyes:.

Now youve got all the justification you need to build a new chassis

• Like 1

:D - The body was un-resistable.

I actually Bought 2 !!! No Chassis plans when the purchase happened. ha ha!

1 hour ago, Greanie said:

:D - The body was un-resistable.

I actually Bought 2 !!! No Chassis plans when the purchase happened. ha ha!

I agree I bought 7 of them. It’s one of my favorite bodies

I have a number of TA02SW/Porsche 934 projects in the pipeline... the chassis/body mismatch is bit disconcerting, is there a good thread I can read up on discrepancies that somebody can point me to?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

I have a number of TA02SW/Porsche 934 projects in the pipeline... the chassis/body mismatch is bit disconcerting, is there a good thread I can read up on discrepancies that somebody can point me to?

Not necessarily comprehensive but there's some useful information here

And this guide to shortening the TA-02SW arms.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=129718&id=9813

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Chassis-Set-for-TA-02-Genuine-230mm-Wheelbase-for-Porsche-934-Body-Set-etc-/372629741773?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0

These are the chassis plates. I used these on mine and made a custom length prop shaft by cutting off the ends of the kit shaft and soldering them into a shorter length of brass tube. You can keep the original prop but you will need to cut the slots in the drive cups deeper with a dremel or similar.

@Greanie after the question I raised in the 'General' section referenced by @Badcrumble I then went on and built a 934 RSR TA02SW using the Maxspeed 230mm plates and shortening the prop shaft

Build thread is here, hope it helps :)

Cheers, Matt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Juhunio said:

@Greanie after the question I raised in the 'General' section referenced by @Badcrumble I then went on and built a 934 RSR TA02SW using the Maxspeed 230mm plates and shortening the prop shaft

Build thread is here, hope it helps :)

Cheers, Matt 

Great Thread Thanks! Im New to Tamiya, but not new to RC in general. This Forum has been superb. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:55 AM, Greanie said:

(The new TA02 Opel doesnt seem to have the correct wheelbase length, but the "S" modification is maybe what im missing). 

The difference between a TA02 and its S/SW variant is only the rear arms. S/SW uses a pair of TA01 rear arms to achieve the 236 (or 237?) shorter wheelbase, all other things being essentially the same.

So if you're running out of solutions, buy the TA02 Opel and look for a pair of TA01 arms.

(I'm 100% sure about that because a few years back I was doing the reverse. I wanted a 257 full length TA02 so I bought the SW plus a pair of TA02 alloy arms.)

A little bit of different screws/3mm spacers/ball connectors etc. should be needed too (check the rear damper lower mounting position on a 257mm TA02 and you know it's tricky "inside" the arms), but these should be handy for any people with some Tamiya stock on hand.

• Like 2

Has anyone ordered a 230mm chassis from MaxSpeedParts recently? I placed an order for my 45th Anniversary Porsche on Saturday, got it cancelled today, saying it was out of stock or item damaged. There were plenty on stock when I ordered, and he hasn't even deleted the listing. He has been away for some time, the listing got active again on friday, now it says that he's away until 27th of November.. 

14 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

Has anyone ordered a 230mm chassis from MaxSpeedParts recently? I placed an order for my 45th Anniversary Porsche on Saturday, got it cancelled today, saying it was out of stock or item damaged. There were plenty on stock when I ordered, and he hasn't even deleted the listing. He has been away for some time, the listing got active again on friday, now it says that he's away until 27th of November.. 

I haven't ordered anything from MaxSpeedParts recently, but I'm guessing you followed an old link/URL? When you look in his store or click 'See other items' there's nothing there and when you search for something like Tamiya HD Carbon you get no results.
IIRC he's been away since August or September, maybe even longer?

Lets hope he's fine and comes back soon, because I would like some carbon chassis plates as well.

3 hours ago, KILLorBE said:

I haven't ordered anything from MaxSpeedParts recently, but I'm guessing you followed an old link/URL? When you look in his store or click 'See other items' there's nothing there and when you search for something like Tamiya HD Carbon you get no results.
IIRC he's been away since August or September, maybe even longer?

Lets hope he's fine and comes back soon, because I would like some carbon chassis plates as well.

The items gets available when the "away until" date expires. I thought maybe he was back since he didn't extend the date this time, have been waiting for quite some time to place the order. 

I have no clue whatsoever how it all works on eBay as I only buy (Mind you, sellers tend to agree that I'm good at buying;)), but it does make sense.

Have you considered contacting him? Besides the usual ways, there's also an e-mail address somewhere...

On 11/9/2022 at 1:00 AM, KILLorBE said:

I have no clue whatsoever how it all works on eBay as I only buy (Mind you, sellers tend to agree that I'm good at buying;)), but it does make sense.

Have you considered contacting him? Besides the usual ways, there's also an e-mail address somewhere...

Now it's available for purchase again, but I guess the date just expired without him updating it as last time.. Tried to message him a while back, but haven't got an answer.   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373759391689?hash=item5705cbb7c9:g:EJAAAOSwa~FcInPg

On 1/31/2023 at 2:40 PM, TurboRSR said:

Now it's available for purchase again, but I guess the date just expired without him updating it as last time.. Tried to message him a while back, but haven't got an answer.   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373759391689?hash=item5705cbb7c9:g:EJAAAOSwa~FcInPg

Did you get one? I recently searched for them, but it seems he listed items that were not in stock and people got a refund.:(

2 hours ago, KILLorBE said:

Did you get one? I recently searched for them, but it seems he listed items that were not in stock and people got a refund.:(

Unfortunately not, he didn't answer my message either.