BuggyGuy

TA-08 Owners Club

Thread to discuss and share tips on the new TA-08 platform

Looks to be a good value and capable car out of the box with the Pro version, modern plastics, TRF420 layout, and SSBB dampers for a quite reasonable 240€ - as with all non TRF touring cars; expect to need to stiffen the chassis quite a bit to be competitive on high grip tracks - though might be different this time round with the angled main chassis plate. 

Have one of these on the way after a lot of indecision regarding my next touring car (and too much wine), TA-07RR/MSX and TB-05 Pro/R were in the running along with TB Evo and the 420, but then the TA-08 suddenly appeared on Tamico, for a very reasonable price... So I might have accidentally ordered some carbon damper stays, a shiny blue servo mount and some other bits and bobs while I was at it :o

Hopup List: https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/catalogs/TA08_parts_catalog.pdf

TheRCRacer first impressions: https://www.thercracer.com/2021/06/58693-tamiya-ta08pro-first-impressions.html?m=0

Manual: https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300058693/300058693_TA08_Pro.pdf

Looks like an R version might be on the way based on this thread: 

Edited by BuggyGuy
Changed hopup list to english version
  • Like 2

I’m finishing my review article atm. 10000 words and 180ish photos etc

Its very nice, there are some things to tune for high grip carpet, but I was able to get lap times ahead of done top TC’s at the track practice. Not as fast as my 420 yet (posted the fastest time out of anyone with that). However it started to get close by the end of the day.

You will love it. It’s very much a racing focus chassis.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, qatmix said:

I’m finishing my review article atm. 10000 words and 180ish photos etc

Its very nice, there are some things to tune for high grip carpet, but I was able to get lap times ahead of done top TC’s at the track practice. Not as fast as my 420 yet (posted the fastest time out of anyone with that). However it started to get close by the end of the day.

You will love it. It’s very much a racing focus chassis.

That's great to hear, I was really torn between a Tamiya vs the latest and greatest from Xray or the Schumacher Mi7 (possibly) - pleased to know I might not need to remortgage my house to get the TA-08 in a good place as well! 

Look forward to reading your review (I'm a big fan of your content, always well written, detailed, and thought out) 

It’s obviously way cheaper. Although I would get the sway bar set. I have added some other parts but none are necessary to get it going. Are you racing outdoors? What motor class?

9 minutes ago, qatmix said:

It’s obviously way cheaper. Although I would get the sway bar set. I have added some other parts but none are necessary to get it going. Are you racing outdoors? What motor class?

17.5 Blinky on carpet I expect (though West London RC is only 20 mins away so might get some outdoor action). 

Sway bars on the way in my kit order, probably need a spring kit to go in the pit box as I don't think anything I have will fit SSBB dampers (my last TC was an Xray T1 - so it's been a while...!) 

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I have my TA07 in a good place now, after a lot of upgrades. I would be worried that the TA08Pro may turn into tue same kind of money pit as the TA07Pro and that it would be better to wait for the R or MS to be released.

Where I race most people run high end kits with a few Express XQ1S/2S thrown in which seem like a good budget option too, I'm interested to hear how the TA08Pro compares to those Express cars

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I have my TA07 in a good place now, after a lot of upgrades. I would be worried that the TA08Pro may turn into tue same kind of money pit as the TA07Pro and that it would be better to wait for the R or MS to be released.

Where I race most people run high end kits with a few Express XQ1S/2S thrown in which seem like a good budget option too, I'm interested to hear how the TA08Pro compares to those Express cars

I'm actually considering the Xpress XQ2 if I decide to get back to 4wd on-road. I've been reading a lot about it and there's so much upgrades at very reasonable prices. Carbon fiber shock towers at $6, full CF chassis at $60, tons of aluminum parts for bulkheads, servo mounts, DCJ, etc. A well fully upgraded kit would probably only cost $400.

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I'm actually considering the Xpress XQ2 if I decide to get back to 4wd on-road. I've been reading a lot about it and there's so much upgrades at very reasonable prices. Carbon fiber shock towers at $6, full CF chassis at $60, tons of aluminum parts for bulkheads, servo mounts, DCJ, etc. A well fully upgraded kit would probably only cost $400.

This is off topic, but look at the XQ10 if you're going for those upgrades.  It will probably be cheaper.  People run the XQ2S with just swaybars added to the base kit and it performs well.  Not surprising that a good driver with an XQ2S will beat an average driver with an Xray, Awesomatix, TRF etc.

The interesting thing will be if the TA08Pro can perform as well as those cars without spending much on it.  I've seen on RCTech that its apparently very flexible - the comment from @qatmix was that the lower deck is about as flexy as the TRF420, but I assume that means when the TRF420 doesn't have the top deck on it which means the TA08 will need some stiffening.  My TA07 was terrible until I got the carbon fibre stiffeners for it and it looks like the TA08 will need something similar, which will add $50 or so to the cost.

I wonder about the integrated bulkheads too - does this rule out a carbon chassis conversion kit?  Or will someone make some aluminum bulkheads to go with a carbon chassis?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

This is off topic, but look at the XQ10 if you're going for those upgrades.  It will probably be cheaper.  People run the XQ2S with just swaybars added to the base kit and it performs well.  Not surprising that a good driver with an XQ2S will beat an average driver with an Xray, Awesomatix, TRF etc.

The interesting thing will be if the TA08Pro can perform as well as those cars without spending much on it.  I've seen on RCTech that its apparently very flexible - the comment from @qatmix was that the lower deck is about as flexy as the TRF420, but I assume that means when the TRF420 doesn't have the top deck on it which means the TA08 will need some stiffening.  My TA07 was terrible until I got the carbon fibre stiffeners for it and it looks like the TA08 will need something similar, which will add $50 or so to the cost.

I wonder about the integrated bulkheads too - does this rule out a carbon chassis conversion kit?  Or will someone make some aluminum bulkheads to go with a carbon chassis?

If you check the hopup list in the OP you can see the standard adjustable suspension blocks are listed - so in my mind that means a carbon chassis is possible as the block widths will be the same as the rest of the kits that can use those same blocks. Though the angled chassis is not going to work in CF... 

In terms of stiffness I believe this will be stiffer than the TA-07 Pro, from what I've read so far the 08 is using carbon reinforced composites out of the box, but I'll withhold judgement on that until my kit arrives... (fingers crossed for tommorow!) 

Edited by BuggyGuy
Spelling
  • Like 2

My orders still not shown up, so no build for me this weekend :mellow:

First upgrade has arrived through; #54883 (separate suspension mounts XB)

And I might have accidentally ordered a load of Hiro Seiko screws (found them cheap and couldn't resist)

I'm a bit undecided on the servo to get at the moment, not sure whether to go quite cheap and grab a Core RC 9009LP or KO Propo PDS-2513 (though this last one might be a touch large, as its not as low profile as many LP servos). Or go all out and get a higher end KO or Savox. Not got any low profile servos in my spares box unfortunately so need to sort something out in the next week or so.

Also pondering if I need to get a new ESC, I've got a new BRCA blinky legal 17.5 motor to use, but the only speedo I have is a very old Core RC Pace 60R that I can take out of my old Schue SupaStox and I've not sure how suitable its really going to be (though will probably be fine until I remember how to drive a TC again).

45 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Started my build last night 

Nice :-)

How's the chassis for stiffness? 

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

Started my build last night 

C07CDC10-86F1-4FA0-ACD2-927939161B2E.jpeg

Does it come with alloy suspension blocks at the front or are they hopups? Thats one of the key upgrades for me, plastic just aren't good enough. What about the rear? Are they incorporated into the lower bulkhead?

On 7/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Does it come with alloy suspension blocks at the front or are they hopups? Thats one of the key upgrades for me, plastic just aren't good enough. What about the rear? Are they incorporated into the lower bulkhead?

Nope. I have extra suspension blocks, due to my OCTD, obsessive compulsive Tamiya disorder. 😂

The kit comes with the TA05!! plastic suspension parts tree, and for the rear uses a plastic 3 point mount.

The rear inner is incorporated into chassis and uses a pill inserts from TRF420

• Like 1

The nice thing is that it accepts the TA05 split blocks, the 3 point from 419x, and of course the 420 with pill inserts.

One thing I noticed last night was the diff. I tried to drop in a TRF419 diff that I had pre-built, the bulkhead top cover locked it in place. Must be too tall for it 🤔 

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

The nice thing is that it accepts the TA05 split blocks, the 3 point from 419x, and of course the 420 with pill inserts.

One thing I noticed last night was the diff. I tried to drop in a TRF419 diff that I had pre-built, the bulkhead top cover locked it in place. Must be too tall for it 🤔 

The TRF420 diffs (which are in the TA08) are a a different case moulding to the old 419 diffs - same tooth count and internal gears but thinner casing (and lighter).

3 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

The TRF420 diffs (which are in the TA08) are a a different case moulding to the old 419 diffs - same tooth count and internal gears but thinner casing (and lighter).

Correct.  The 420 diffs work in the 419.  But it seems not the other way around

That’s a brilliant read, @qatmix! I’ve never owned an on-road kit, and I’m not in the market for one, but that was simply impressive from start to finish. Fingers crossed you’ll give the super Avante the same treatment when it arrives. 

Now I’m off to read more of the stuff you’ve written! 

• Like 1

Excellent article as always @qatmix

Gives me comfort knowing I've not ordered a complete lemon or something that will require a phenomenal amount of upgrades :D

• Like 2

With the way the bottom of the chassis is shaped, it looks like there are opportunities for wedge-shaped weights to meet class minimums while keeping the Cg extremely low...

I got nothing to add. 

Is it just me? If somebody says, "owners club," don't you get this fear of missing out and suddenly want that chassis?  

• Like 2

This is a nice build!

12 hours ago, qatmix said:

This took a lot of work, but it’s finished. Really impressed with this car.

https://www.thercracer.com/2021/07/58693-tamiya-ta08-pro-build-review-and.html?m=0

988F7B2A-41ED-4BDB-AB00-BA50F81B95F3.jpeg

How much did it cost in total to finish this build without electronics?

I would also suggest replacing the plastic bumper plate with CF.