markbt73

So... my dad bought me a Bruiser

Just out of the blue. He just said, "I know it's been a tough year, and I wanted to get you and your brother something fun." So my brother, a photography buff, got a new Nikon SLR camera, and I have a Bruiser kit on the way. I am surprised, grateful, and beyond excited...

He knew I was saving up for one, because I wrote this article for DriveTribe about it a while back: https://drivetribe.com/p/life-is-short-buy-the-toy-truck-ZMZgGlUkT_KkxeBrtJuAiA?iid=Ln84J3rTQye4ClyePUXcxg

So sometime tomorrow, I will officially join the 3 speed owner club, way ahead of when I expected to. I can't wait... thanks Dad!

• Like 28

That’s a great news, what a fantastic way to realise a dream 👍🏻

Love the DriveTribe article, some things in there that ring true for me to. The Super Champ was ‘The One’ for me and of all the things to appear in the recent ‘rona famine was the Fighting Buggy again, no way I was passing that up this time.

Enjoy the Bruiser, I’m sure it will mean a whole lot more to you now than ever. 

• Like 2

Reading the title, I thought it was some rich brat.  But it's you, @markbt73

For somebody who's been in the hobby as long as you, it couldn't have been gifted to a better guy.  Congratulations! You deserve it 1000%. I look forward to hear your opinions on 3 speeds. (Now, the real question is, how do I get mine to do the same?)

• Like 2

That’s awesome. You got a cool Dad!  I read your article you wrote and I’m glad you’re finally able to realize your dream. 

Way to go, dad! And congrats on getting your dream kit! After reading your article I suspect you're all kinds of stoked on getting your hands on such an excellent gift! 

18 hours ago, markbt73 said:

He knew I was saving up for one, because I wrote this article for DriveTribe about it a while back: https://drivetribe.com/p/life-is-short-buy-the-toy-truck-ZMZgGlUkT_KkxeBrtJuAiA?iid=Ln84J3rTQye4ClyePUXcxg

I read ( and really enjoyed ) that article when you wrote it. 
You also helped inspire me to stop debating and just buy the re release Midnight Pumpkin I was looking at on eBay at the time   

It's here!

IMG_20210707_165037535.jpg

I'm not ashamed to admit I actually giggled when I opened the box. I am, I believe the Britishism is, absolutely chuffed.

Ironically but completely coincidentally, something else I ordered last week arrived today as well...

IMG_20210707_165055263.jpg

• Like 12

Congrats on getting the Bruiser & that tool set is a nice thing & well timed.

That's awesome Mark! Your father is pretty attentive to get you that, what a nice gesture! You must have a pretty awesome relationship with you Dad 🤗

Now put a c1500 body on it! 😄

So for the first of what may be many questions about this thing: what's the go-to radio these days for 3 speeds? I want a dedicated radio for it, without spending an arm and a leg, and it has to be sticks, because I want the gate on the left stick. Futaba 4YWD (or 4YF) seems to be the default, but the newer 6L is intriguing, and cheaper. Anybody have any experience with this one? Or is there another imexpensive option I should consider?

(Edit: and no Flybynight-- I mean, Flysky-- stuff. I know some of you swear by it, but I'd rather stick with Futaba or another big name.)

@markbt73 Wow, congrats.     Wish my dad was like that!   When I was a kid he bought me a Pajero 5844 and that was the best he would do even though he was a pretty wealthy guy (very old, but still alive).  Not that I complained, but I don't remember him ever giving me what I truly wanted.  His philosophy was I need to obtain happiness myself.. so 40 frikken years later I got a bunch of Wild Willy's.  :lol:

Enjoy your Bruiser.   I need to build mine too!

5 hours ago, markbt73 said:

So for the first of what may be many questions about this thing: what's the go-to radio these days for 3 speeds? I want a dedicated radio for it, without spending an arm and a leg, and it has to be sticks, because I want the gate on the left stick. Futaba 4YWD (or 4YF) seems to be the default, but the newer 6L is intriguing, and cheaper. Anybody have any experience with this one? Or is there another imexpensive option I should consider?

(Edit: and no Flybynight-- I mean, Flysky-- stuff. I know some of you swear by it, but I'd rather stick with Futaba or another big name.)

I personally like Spektrum radios for my aircraft, the DXs and DX6e are both good options. I'd also take a look at the radiolink RC AT10II and Frsky QX7, I've used both a little bit and like them as well, but both of those are much more complex than the Spektrums or the futaba radios you listed. How do you plan to get the gate on the left stick? 3D printing or cutting one out of styrene? 

27 minutes ago, Bash said:

I personally like Spektrum radios for my aircraft, the DXs and DX6e are both good options. I'd also take a look at the radiolink RC AT10II and Frsky QX7, I've used both a little bit and like them as well, but both of those are much more complex than the Spektrums or the futaba radios you listed. How do you plan to get the gate on the left stick? 3D printing or cutting one out of styrene? 

I thought about Spektrum too, I have an older DX5e that isn't bad, except that I don't like digital trims. (I hate stuff that beeps needlessly.) The analog trims are what makes me think Futaba is the way to go.

The gate is easy; I work at a sign shop. I'll have our engraving guy make me one out of 2-layer plastic, with the shift pattern engraved into it. :)

I use a 4PV for mine. I set up the analog dial to work as a 3 position switch. If I was going stick then I’d go for the 4VWD.

• Like 1

Excellent news! Have fun with the build, @markbt73! I am confident you will find it most enjoyable :)

Personally, I would prefer having digital trim switches, mostly because I find myself knocking the switches out of adjustment whenever I am transporting the radio in my backpack. However, I have no other complaints about the Futaba 4YWD; it really is the right radio for the job.

Incidentally, I did get my Bruiser working once with a 3-channel pistol radio. The auxiliary switch on my Spektrum DX3C made shifting incredibly easy and smooth, more so than with a stick radio, until I thought "Where's the fun in that?" and got the Futaba :P

• Like 1

So I ended up ordering the Futaba 6L. The 4YWD was not in stock anywhere in the US except for Tower, who want $230 for it. And I'm trying to only order things that are already in the country, not only to save time, but also spare me some anxiety about long shipping times and wasting fuel transporting "just my dumb hobby stuff".

For $100, the 6L looks like a pretty great option: it's simple, without a bunch of computerized stuff I don't know or care how to use; it can easily be switched to self-center the left stick; and it has a couple of auxiliary channels to add stuff like switchable lights if I so choose. It's fairly new, and I can't find any info about anyone using it with a truck yet, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. And of course I'll report on my findings. Could be a good new inexpensive option for 3 speeds.

I've also got a couple of Onyx servos coming, S35 standard for shifting and S55 high-torque metal gear for steering. And I ordered an HW 1060 ESC for it. I wanted to do all new electronics for such a serious and prestigious model instead of cobbling together stuff I already had. Everything is supposed to get here Friday or Monday. And then I can get started...

• Like 3

Perhaps a bit late but I opted for a HW 1080 for mine so I could use the drag brake. If you’re not wanting that option then the 1060 will be fine!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cynan said:

Perhaps a bit late but I opted for a HW 1080 for mine so I could use the drag brake. If you’re not wanting that option then the 1060 will be fine!

You know, I thought about that, but I thought that maybe not having drag brake might make for smoother shifts. And it's not like I'm going to be doing any hardcore crawling with it anyway; I have other, less costly trucks for that.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, markbt73 said:

You know, I thought about that, but I thought that maybe not having drag brake might make for smoother shifts.

Can confirm this is correct. The drag brake on the Axial XL-5 ESC I used in mine, even at 50%, would momentarily lock up the tires during anything less than immaculate shifts. Once I discarded the programming nodule completely, the truck ran a lot more smoothly.

Besides, the real thing doesn't have one :P At least, not that I know of!

• Like 2

Following on this conversation, for what it’s worth, I think no drag brake for a Bruiser is the way to go, I think atleast that’s how I will build mine when I get around to it one day

You know I never thought about how the drag brake would affect shifting. I shift whilst moving so it’s ok… but shifting stationary is a no go. I just assumed that’s how it was but I can see now that if the wheels were not locked then it would be possible. Hmm.. will have to try will drag brake off :)

5 hours ago, Grastens said:

Can confirm this is correct. The drag brake on the Axial XL-5 ESC I used in mine, even at 50%, would momentarily lock up the tires during anything less than immaculate shifts. Once I discarded the programming nodule completely, the truck ran a lot more smoothly.

Besides, the real thing doesn't have one :P At least, not that I know of!

That's what I imagined would happen. It's a constant-mesh, non-syhcnronized gearbox, so you want some rotation during shifts to line everything up. I assume the smoothest shifts are in motion, but not under power, so letting the drivetrain coast during that second or two while the gearbox shifts seems best.

It's going to be interesting to learn how to shift it smoothly. I haven't had to actually learn a whole new technique to drive one of these things in many years... I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cynan said:

‘shifting stationary is a no go’

Bizzarly whilst completely different I have been reading about Ducati Monsters and this statements applies to them as well 😳

Apparently a novice mistake is to think you can select 1st gear whilst stationary 😂, that would be someone like me!