markbt73

So... my dad bought me a Bruiser

On 7/14/2021 at 11:38 PM, markbt73 said:

So I ended up ordering the Futaba 6L. The 4YWD was not in stock anywhere in the US except for Tower, who want $230 for it. And I'm trying to only order things that are already in the country, not only to save time, but also spare me some anxiety about long shipping times and wasting fuel transporting "just my dumb hobby stuff".

For $100, the 6L looks like a pretty great option: it's simple, without a bunch of computerized stuff I don't know or care how to use; it can easily be switched to self-center the left stick; and it has a couple of auxiliary channels to add stuff like switchable lights if I so choose. It's fairly new, and I can't find any info about anyone using it with a truck yet, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. And of course I'll report on my findings. Could be a good new inexpensive option for 3 speeds.

I've also got a couple of Onyx servos coming, S35 standard for shifting and S55 high-torque metal gear for steering. And I ordered an HW 1060 ESC for it. I wanted to do all new electronics for such a serious and prestigious model instead of cobbling together stuff I already had. Everything is supposed to get here Friday or Monday. And then I can get started...

I'm very interested in this 6L TX. When you get a chance, can you tell me if the sticks unscrew? I have some nice carbon shift gates that wont fit on the HK TX that I bought years ago, and I cant seem to remove the sticks to modify them so as they fit inside and allow easy movement through the gates. My Bruiser is still in a box awaiting me to sort out my TX :ph34r:

I used the Tamiya Finespec TRU-09 which can be programmed to use Tamiya light kits. I also own the 4YWD. Both fantastic radios. I think the 6L is an air radio so the throttle stick won't center when you let go.

14 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

I'm very interested in this 6L TX. When you get a chance, can you tell me if the sticks unscrew? I have some nice carbon shift gates that wont fit on the HK TX that I bought years ago, and I cant seem to remove the sticks to modify them so as they fit inside and allow easy movement through the gates. My Bruiser is still in a box awaiting me to sort out my TX :ph34r:

I will let you know. It doesn't mention anything in the instructions but I'll try unscrewing them to see.

2 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I used the Tamiya Finespec TRU-09 which can be programmed to use Tamiya light kits. I also own the 4YWD. Both fantastic radios. I think the 6L is an air radio so the throttle stick won't center when you let go.

There are instructions to convert it to "mode 1" (moving the ratchet to the right stick instead of the left). But I have been thinking about something: every time you let go of the stick, it's going to want to shift to 2nd gear. I'd rather it stay in whatever gear I put it in, so I think I'm going to see if it's possible to set up the ratchet on the left-right axis of the left stick, so that the "shift lever" stays where you leave it. That, plus a gate, seems like it would be the ideal setup, if I can make it work.

Look at me, voiding warranties on brand-new radios...

• Haha 1