Juggular

4WD Rear engine cars?

MF-01X is a bit of an odd ball.  There aren't many 4WD cars with the engine in the tail.  

What would have been Tamiya's ultimate goal?  VW beetle rally is nice and all, but surely it wasn't the grand finale?

Z1pyLD6.jpg

Renault turbo5 came to my mind, but you already know it's RWD, not 4WD.  (Though MF-01X chassis would've been a lot better than FWD M-05.  They could have sold more if it was M06 with widened rear track!)  Tamiya often disregards where the engine is mounted, but let's pretend that they care.   

Q87qosX.jpg

Then I thought of proper 4WD cars like Peugeot 205t and 405t, although they are midship.

Tamiya already has the exact dimensions, because they have made static kits. 

z9bzAPV.jpg

B1LGUK9.jpg

But because of the radiator vents, it'd be hard to make the Lexan shells for. (They could just give them a sticker treatment.)

Then Porsche dawned on me. VW and Porsche are brothers (sisters). I should have thought of Porsche first.  

Initially, 911. 

8kS9mQN.jpg

They already have a body for TT02, why not slap it on MF-01x chassis and sell Porsche 953?  

2xcJIFB.jpg

They have the 934 shell too, but 934 was never made into 4WD, I don't think. 

But who cares about the historical accuracy, I think MF-01F with 934 body would look fine too.  

VbmL1re.jpg

Then it occurred to me...

Maybe Tamiya wants to release MF-01X with a 959 shell? (Eventually?)

WIhu3mc.jpg

The wheelbase for Porsche 959 is 211mm.  MF-01X's short wheelbase is 210mm.  It seems doable.  Hardcore vintage Porsche 959 folks might think of it as a sacrilege to use such a cheap chassis, but it could work.  Could this have been Tamiya's ultimate goal?  Too much dreaming?  

Are there any other 4WD cars with the engine in the back?  

• Like 3

Ford RS200

Metro 6R4

Lancia delta S4

Erm🤔

• Like 1

You are right in your assumption that a 959 would fit a MF-01X chassis, TGB & Kamtec already make a Lexan shell of one to do just that.

I believe someone on here did one not to long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Ford RS200

Metro 6R4

Lancia delta S4

Erm🤔

None of which have a rear engine.

I can only think of the OPs original suggestion of the 959 and various 911s as a rear engine 4wd car.

All the other rear engine cars I can think of were only RWD, on the road or in competition.

But I suspect the MF01X is rear engine because of Tamiya being Tamiya. It might allow them to package the TL01 inspired drivetrain a bit better, or might just give a better weight distribution.

I don't think there is any masterplan to reissue the 959 body on that chassis. They could have done that ages ago if they wanted to, the licence can't be an blocker as they are still releasing other Porsches.

• Like 1

The 959 is a really interesting point and I'm sure it was discussed when the chassis was first release.  Why Tamiya haven't actually release it like that, I don't know, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

I'm sure there will turn out to be some other rear-engined 4wd cars that we have all forgotten about because they are oddballs from the obscure pages of history.

• Like 1

Can't think of any others cars, but the other day at the club I was idly wondering if an MF01X - suitably modified with M05 bits - would be fun to drive on track. 

• Like 1

I've run mine on our impromptu parking lot course several times. They are indeed fun on a track.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sosidge said:

None of which have a rear engine.

Rear ish! 😶

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, svenb said:

Rear ish! 😶

Certainly behind the mid-way point and in no way front-engined!

But I do appreciate the point. Thinking of a TL01LA for my RS200 shell. When I can finally decide between road and rally and take the brave pills to start trimming the body.

• Like 2