Hilux_resurrection_00

Tamiya 58028 Hilux -- Motor issue??

I'm restoring my very own 58028 Hilux, and I just got it running and driving... for the most part.

On my test drives around the house, the slow speed as well as driving on carpet seem to be either binding something or overloading the motor so that the truck stops moving and I get no power to the motor for about 30 seconds. It does it with the front hubs locked and unlocked. I tested the truck by running it on my repair stand so that the wheels had no resistance and it did not stop at all which makes me think that something is cutting out under load. 

I'm using a "torque tuned" rs540 motor. Which is a 35 turn, I believe? This is actually my replacement motor because the one the truck had when I originally bought had the same problem of stopping and sounded like loose change and just awful. I assumed that the motor was the problem but since this new one is doing the same thing, I think that the rs540 isn't strong enough either but I'm not entirely sure with that conclusion. Any help would be appreciated!

I’m pretty sure the RS was a hop up for the Hilux, back in the day.

Not sure what the issue is your having but hopefully someone on TC will come up with some sage advice 👍

Sounds like the gearbox. Try fixing it in high or 4wd only - fully in or out. See if these work ok.

What kind of motor pinion are you using? compatible pinions are quite difficult to find for the hilux. The orignal motor had the pinion pressed on the shaft.

• Like 1