Robert5000

Is 1/10 always 1/10 when it comes to electrics?

I sometimes buy stuff I don't need, or think I need and it turns out it was really not what I needed after all. Case in point, a castle creations 5700kv esc & motor combo. I've got a 4600kv combo in my re re Optima and it's too much for my track (and skill.) But, I've got a couple of Traxxas Bigfoot 1 that I let the nephews unleash when they get bored from waiting on stuff to be repaired. The Titan 12t is adequate, but it's the only kit I've got that I some times feel that I could do with more power.

So my question is, could the caste creations combo work in the Bigfoot 1 (which is a Stampede,) or will the size of the truck cause an infinte loop of thermaling due to it's size? 

It should be OK if you gear it down. The old Stampedes came with 3 different spur gears, not sure if the newer ones still do, but it's Traxxas, so parts aren't hard to find. And 48 pitch pinions are common as well.

• Like 3

Gearing down is a good point, thanks! I've got some smaller pinions, and I'll monitor the temp and pick up some spur gears if necessary. I guess the worst that can happen is that I end up bying a 4x4 traxxas kit to fit in . 

• Like 2

The 5700kv system will be absolutely insane in the stampede. I'd start with a 20t pinion and a 90t spur and adjust from there.

When you say insane, does that equal most assuredly uncontrollable @Bash If so there’s probably no point in trying. 
Will going for a 4x4 kit make it easier to control? Or does that strain the system more? 

4 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

When you say insane, does that equal most assuredly uncontrollable @Bash If so there’s probably no point in trying. 
Will going for a 4x4 kit make it easier to control? Or does that strain the system more? 

I had the 4600kv system in my rustler and I can't imagine it with more power, and I find the stampede to be hard enough to control as is. I'd still give it a go and see how you like it, can always take it back out again. I've seen people burn up those small high-kv motors in various traxxas 4x4 platforms and would not recommend it.  

• Like 1

I’ve got a 4600kv and a 5700kv to spare so might as well test both and see how I fare, but since uncontrollable is not what I’m aiming for it looks like I could be better off just forgetting the 5700kv. Appreciate the input, @Bash!

If you've got the , Castle link or programme card, you can turn the punch down.

Also, this is where a decent radio helps, you can alter the throttle curve, and/or alter the throttle end point, so it's exactly the power you want.

• Like 2

I don’t, but since I’ve got 3 Castle combos getting a link or programme card seems like the sensible thing to do. 

I’ve got one decent radio, but since a reciever costs the same as a cheap radio + reciever I tend to go for that. 

Appreciate the input @Wooders28

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

I’ve got one decent radio, but since a reciever costs the same as a cheap radio + reciever I tend to go for that. 

If its a Sanwa, SMD and Ruddog have compatible recievers that are a bit cheaper.

I'd go for the Castle link then, it's a bit more of a faff , having to connect it to the Laptop/PC ,but you can alter Throttle curves on the esc.