Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Crumpet

PS paint on f1 plastic parts

Hey all. Having had a trawl through on paint questions I haven't found a specific answer to my question.

I'm painting my 104 Pro body as a RB16b redbull car. I'm planning on ps-45 translucent with ps-5 backing to give the deep dark purple. Then flat clear over the outside to dull to Matt finish. I have matt decals to suit.

However for the plastic parts. There dosn't seem to be a TS translucent purple! 

My options are:

1. Just use the PS-45 over the already black wing.

2.Tamiya prime plastic and use ps paint in reverse

3. Get some TS-6 black and use the PS-45 ontop

4. Get ts-6 and find a translucent purple in TS type paint?

Other questions:

Should I sand the parts for better adhesion?

Should I cover over with flat clear for better finish or stronger protection?

Any other advice as I forsee bashing the front wing alot and don't want a flaky paint job?

Ps paints work fine over normal plastic and ts paints / primer etc and you can overcoat it with the TS clear too without issues.

Ive done it many times on the body coloured mirrors and wings etc without issues

• Like 2

If anything, PS paints are probably superior to TS in this particular application, as they are designed to remain flexible so as not to flake off polycarbonate bodies, and the front wing is made of a quite flexible plastic. Adhesion isn't great though, so I would recommend a light sanding to key the surface followed by a coat of plastic primer. (I use the Halfords stuff sold for full-size car bumpers.)

Another consideration is that the front wings tend to take a hammering, so even the best paint job isn't likely to stay looking good for long. Fortunately it is quite quick and easy to change out the front wing, so you may want to consider one for running and one for display?

7 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Ps paints work fine over normal plastic and ts paints / primer etc and you can overcoat it with the TS clear too without issues.

Ive done it many times on the body coloured mirrors and wings etc without issues

I was going to buy a can of TS to mach the PS metallic blue for my '99 Impreza, you just saved me one can of TS :)  I will just TS clear (which I have already) over the PS if I didn't get is shinny enough. This is actually my worry with PS paints: when I look inside a shell I can tell I did not do a very smooth job and I have been wondering if it was my technique of just how the PS sprays.