Misterp180

Mini Garden Track Project

Hi everyone,

Having got back into the RC hobby in 2021 looking for a relaxing hobby I have decided to use a small part of the garden to build a track. 

Only having a small space it will start off as a very short dirt track and then (hopefully) can evolve over time. This forum post will track my progress.

Below is a short video of my 1980s Grasshopper shaking down the space. As you can see it is quite small but I am determined to use what I have the best I can. It will also be used to teach my daughter how to control her Lunchbox as she gets the hang of it!!

Thanks for reading and any advice welcome 🍺

• Like 7

That looks great fun! I like your little jumps.

The natural undulations look to suit your ‘hopper.

I run a Hornet in similar back lawn conditions with the addition of a second hand small cycle jump ramp (like the rampage one in the thread linked below) though it’s width can make it a bit hit and miss for my seven year old.

Some home made ramp inspiration here if you’re that way inclined

• Like 2

I have more space in my garden (lucky on this aspect). I "wrote" a track on the grass by cutting it at the lower possible height allowed by my loan mower...

NrfsjuJ.jpg

gSdOUck.jpg

dbMKxI8.jpg

Those pictures were taken when I did this first. Now it becomes easier to see. I have not yet added jumps and other elements to the track, but it is the intention when kids will be able to drive seamlessly on the track in its current form. Not really easy, as the main curves are not heading in the right direction compare to the field which is going down. It would be easier with a flat garden...

Two things you can do, however is use the trees as natural marking for the curves and go around them. Avoid having the track crossing as it would be cause of damage for the cars, unless you find a way to build a bridge so one part goes over the other. Not easy to deal with however, as under the bridge, you will have less room, and more possible costly mistake (parts wise). And try to think about the obstacles and try to find a way to reduce damage (my son broke a wishbone on his Slash by sending it directly into the sandbox wall while trying to overtake me)...

• Like 6

@Badcrumble thanks for reading. I picked up some Airwalk skate ramps similar to those. Putting two side by side minimises the risk of slipping off the sides. 

• Like 2

@silvertriple that is a huge back garden! You could fit my mini loop in there 100x over! I started out mowing down to the lowest level which is how I started the shakedown. I have decided to start taking things down to the dirt!

6554DC52-CC63-4846-80C7-70818532DA12.jpeg.87b8b0dbd6640fb384cb61567a5dc2cb.jpeg

So project for today was breaking up the ground and flattening it as much as possible. 
Things went well and I have the track between the trees sorted and I have amped up the mini jump in between for a little more air time!

7A1C45F8-6484-4940-8B5E-DA6935DD258B.jpeg.6d31ee4c4b21eb6f6363399c9bc31784.jpeg

A short shakedown with my DT-03 was amazing fun. The car loves the loose surface and the back end slides around all over the place! 

• Like 5

MDB1643E9-B50A-4154-836F-EAF0059854E1.thumb.jpeg.394ebc140215268896380da961d6ce45.jpeg

Just a quick pic of the shakedown I missed off last night. Hoping to get some more running this afternoon with my TT-02b, the Grasshopper and a Lunchbox (just for fun!)

• Like 5

The track feels great and I have tried to get out and roll it every day. I am already starting to plan next steps and I would like to turn to the right coming down past the shed. We have an area of rubble and weeds which will need clearing then top soil over the top but it would double the track length.

B6A77FD9-DE9A-48C3-92B8-007D1694A563.thumb.jpeg.e9ea63a43a220e5a44f59b63be87b1af.jpeg

Going to run the Grasshopper through next to see if I have the ground clearance right on the jump. My Grasshopper has a 540 silver can so punches a little more than stock but the ground clearance was causing it to bottom out. Let’s see what happens next!

Back out this evening with my Grasshopper. As predicted it did not like the jump and kept grounding on the inside lane. I need the improve the run up from Cherry Tree turn! 

The smoother dirt track really helped the Grasshopper to stay more planted with it only getting “hoppy” down Shed straightaway. I don’t expect the car to be anywhere near the times from the TT-02b but I was surprised how the lap times started to fall. The best ones were around 7.25s. The TT-02b hit a 6.4s lap time which I hope to beat with my DT-03.

Next up is the Lunchbox for grins! It is my Daughters and a lovely pastel pink but who cares when you can have fun!

• Like 2

It would be great to have a proper space to run on literally on the door step 👍🏻 Good on you for having a go and enjoy it.

Here’s a backyard track you could take some ideas from 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Re-Bugged man that is an awesome thread! Thanks for posting up. If I am still modding my track like that in 2 years time I will be over the moon.

@78Triumph your track is a joy and thanks for your awesome posts.

I am already on the quest for more space and see my track as a buggy/rally hybrid. I have plans to do something similar with the boarders of the track as time goes on. I had not considered the rain aspect (living in the UK it should have been my first thought!) 

Cheers chaps!

• Like 3

I had a Dukes Of Hazzard toy as a kid - a barn through which a pull-and-go Charger when through, up a barrel-roll ramp and through some plastic bales / crates. 

I now have images of a 1:10 version in my head @Re-Bugged!

Note: I still have the toy!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

I am already on the quest for more space and see my track as a buggy/rally hybrid. I have plans to do something similar with the boarders of the track as time goes on. I had not considered the rain aspect (living in the UK it should have been my first thought!) 

Where abouts are you?

There's plenty of established tracks up and down the country, if you want something bigger to use.

Have you considered a few rolls of Astro? We got 70 rolls given us (and delivered!) for free by a recycle place.

• Like 1

@Wooders28 I am just south of Birmingham and would love to get out to some tracks at some point.

I hope plenty of practice in the garden first will mean I won’t look like a complete novice! We had a track near us as kids at the local youth centre and we were there at the weekends. It is a car park these days! 

I have not thought about the Astro. It might make the maintenance a little easier in the future, but I get a kick out of all the mud and dirt flying out the back of the cars as I sling them round the corners. We were never allowed to race them on the lawn as kids as the cars just cut it to pieces. I am reliving those memories now in the comfort of my back garden with my own lawn to destroy!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I had a Dukes Of Hazzard toy as a kid - a barn through which a pull-and-go Charger when through, up a barrel-roll ramp and through some plastic bales / crates. 

I now have images of a 1:10 version in my head @Re-Bugged!

Note: I still have the toy!

I believe @Wooders28 has a 3s General Lee that could recreate that 👍🏻

• Haha 2

I live in a rented house on military base now , I have a large open field behind my place with a few Natural prairie dog hills. However my proper fenced in back garden behind my house is quite small. I keep it mowed short enough to drive 2wds lien my vintage Hornet and MP back there, but also set up temporary ramps for the solid axle monster trucks and such.

Next year when I retire and wife and I settle into a proper home my wife has already said she’d like for me to incorporate a crawler course and a track into our back garden landscaping 

• Like 4

@Dakratfink I wish I had more space. Sounds like you have an understanding wife!

Using the space I have even for a tiny track means I can run a car most nights when I have a spare 20 mins. It will now be a deal breaker when we move on that there is enough garden space for a track! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I believe @Wooders28 has a 3s General Lee that could recreate that 👍🏻

Don't know what you mean.....😛

• Haha 1

Out getting a bit of sunshine at lunch today and couldn’t resist a quick blast with my recently finished M-05ra round the track.

Video to be edited later but I was practicing on some new angles for the action. Accidentally knocked my iPhone into Slow-mo capture and unlocked a world of opportunity for awesome action shots! I think the rally conversion project was a success!

FB43ACAA-CEE0-4AB3-AE52-005386342296.thumb.jpeg.e877deee5f30f8d350f886abb7ac1dc2.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Here we go! So many smiles while blasting this round the track. It loved the jump and could easily handle a bigger ramp in the future. It seemed faster than I expected but it only managed a 7.8s round the track and the average was a lot higher than that given my poor drifting and two wheel cornering (although tall part of the lunchie charm!)

M-05ra up next!

• Like 1

I had so much run making this video in the sunshine! The car is awesome and I am so happy from the upgrade to a rally spec.

Skid plates do something to stop the dirt getting in and I wouldn’t dream of running one without CVA dampers.

Car felt like it had more in her but I hit a huge stone (towards the end of the video) which pulled the tyre off the wheel and I think it needs gluing now.

Handling was great considering it is only fwd. I have some adjustable turnbuckles for the car which might help shave some tenths off the lap time!

Next out on the track will be my Kyosho Raider. While not Tamiya it is an original from the late 80s so should be fun for a casual run. Once that is done my DT-03 is getting stripped down ready for an official track time. It is my most hopped up car and should set the bench mark for the others to beat!

I have posted a lap time but it will be the slowest on the board I am sure.... who cares as it was a pure joy to drive and film.

I love how the old MSC allows the transition from acceleration to reverse with no pause. Is there anyway to set up the Tamiya ESC or Hobbywing 1060 to respond like this?

Thanks for watching.

• Like 1

Amazing efforts, my wife wouldn't take to kindly to me doing that to our back garden, so for now, I'll stick with around the red watering can, flat our to the green one, under the slide and round the drying green pole onto the gravel, then back on to grass towards the red watering can again.  My only concern is when I hit the pole... :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Corranga21 said:

Amazing efforts, my wife wouldn't take to kindly to me doing that to our back garden, so for now, I'll stick with around the red watering can, flat our to the green one, under the slide and round the drying green pole onto the gravel, then back on to grass towards the red watering can again.  My only concern is when I hit the pole... :D

Sounds perfect for me!

This is how I started on the main lawn but after a few weeks in April you could already see the racing line starting to appear! I was told not to ruin the lawn so retreated into the safety of the allotment!! Draw backs are the local cat has started leaving me deposits in the jump landing zone and I got bitten by a spider last night! 😂