TurboRSR

Tamiya TBLE-04S/SR and LiPo compability

A lot of people on here were disappointed that Tamiya didn't include any low voltage cut-off to support LiPo's when they released their new TBLE-04 ESC's. 
I found this article tonight were they write that it actually have a high cut-off setting that can be used with LiPo's. According to the article writer it cuts off at 6.2V. 

https://www.thercracer.com/2021/05/tamiya-tble-04s-esc-speed-controller.html

• Like 3

From Tamiya Usa:

LO/HI Battery Cut-off Information:
LOW & HIGH Battery Low Voltage Protection Feature: LOW battery setting cuts off @ 5.6 volts approximately. (Best for Ni-CD, NI-MH and Li-FE battery chemistry) HIGH battery setting cuts off @ 6.2 volts approximately. (Best for other battery chemistries)

In any case it is slightly low..

On 7/10/2021 at 7:47 PM, TurboRSR said:

A lot of people on here were disappointed that Tamiya didn't include any low voltage cut-off to support LiPo's when they released their new TBLE-04 ESC's. 
I found this article tonight were they write that it actually have a high cut-off setting that can be used with LiPo's. According to the article writer it cuts off at 6.2V. 

https://www.thercracer.com/2021/05/tamiya-tble-04s-esc-speed-controller.html

It is quite low. if your Lipo battery is not properly balanced or a cell slightly more used than the other one, you may very well have one cell at 3.3V and one à 2.9V which is lower than 3.0 you should never go lower than...

At the end, if the car has room to install a lipo alarm, I'm just adding one. If there is no room, I replace the Tamiya ESC by something else with a lipo cut off that can be set more precisely.

2 hours ago, silvertriple said:

It is quite low. if your Lipo battery is not properly balanced or a cell slightly more used than the other one, you may very well have one cell at 3.3V and one à 2.9V which is lower than 3.0 you should never go lower than...

But will that be a problem if you balance charge the battery every time you charge it? 

33 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

But will that be a problem if you balance charge the battery every time you charge it? 

I generally balance charge them, and I'm getting used to check the cell voltage at the end of each runs. And I can say that even when it was balanced in the beginning of the charge, it happens for some Lipo packs there is a difference between the cells at the end of the run... And it doesn't seem to to be systematic either... Ultimately, I decided to play on the safe side. Lipo cutoff/alarm are set around 6.8V in my case after I sense that potential issue. I run with 4000+mAH batteries, and this is largely enough (specially considering I have multiple ones) to play....

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:15 AM, TurboRSR said:

Yes/no

A fresh ,decent battery should be perfectly fine, but as time goes on, one cell will start to drop its voltage quicker than the other.

When that does start to happen, and it's a noticeable change (used to be similar voltage after running, then 0.1v difference, then 0.2v then 0.3v etc) that's when I start to look for offers on lipos , (or move to modern LiHv, as I have just done) as they are on their way out.

Also why I'd only recommend LCD screened lipo chargers, as you've more an idea of the condition of the battery, before things get more worrying.

• Like 1