NZJohn

Terra Conqueror build - MSC or ESC

Hey team, I’m planning to build a NIB Terra Conqueror, and I’m not sure how to approach the electronics. 

I plan to use the Dyna Tech motor. But when it comes to the electronics, do I go for a modern set - ESC servo and receiver. Or do I go old school? And if I try and build it with old electronics, how can I best source a set?

Cheers in advance for any advice. This is my first build of a non rere vintage. I’m super nervous about even opening the box!

If you are going to drive it ESC, it it is for the shelf MSC.

The Terra Conqueror is one of my favourite cars, originals are pretty rare these days , enjoy

• Like 1

You should be able to get a Novak ESC off eBay relatively easy. The odd one pops up on Trade Me, too.  The 410-M5, 410-HPc, Racer and Hammer Pro would be suitable for early 90's. They all have orange cases if you're doing boxart.

I’d assume you are building it to keep on the shelf? If so, keeping the msc or doing a hopped up version can look well with period hop ups. Otherwise it will lose any authenticity if that’s important with so few of these being about. If running the esc is a must.

For old electronics yeah as above they do come up from time to time- even the Tamiya CPR-160 systems do with servo and transmitter if you want a Tamiya look- though not working as well as those other options posted.

Cheers for the replies all. I guess to some of you it might be sacrilege to build a rare NIB Terra, but I’m coming at this from the view that I never have had the luxury of such a cool experience as a kid, and I’m quietly relishing the opportunity now. 

It’ll be a very gentle runner for a bit and then a shelf queen. So I’m going to really take my time and try and go original period correct electronics then.

What controller were people using back in 1992? Something like a AD SPEC?

I might have to find a old catalogue… and so the expense of the hobby climbs!

This is my genuine conqueror. Great car, as you can see I went period correct and fitted the P-160 which suits it. Lots of mods but all done with period Tamiya hop ups and a few changes like the top force shock towers. 

A3D92659-27A6-4BC9-8C6B-5A0DF9D5867E.jpeg

518546D6-263B-4974-9868-1C8377AFF7AF.jpeg

• Like 1

@NZJohn I do not remember what good radios were out back in 1992, but I will warn you that those old radios are susceptible to RF interference and can potentially take over your car (glitch) while you are driving resulting in a crash.   

The only pre-2.4GHz radio I trust is my JR Propo R1 using PCM modulation.   I used it back in the late 90’s on my track cars.  

If you are going to drive it, I recommend you run a modern radio (and ESC) and later change it to an era appropriate radio for display if that is your thing.  GL.  

• Like 1