NZJohn

Auckland tracks for vintage fun

Hey all,

A few of mates and I have recently gotten into Tamiya vintage RC. It’s winter here in NZ right now and we’ve discovered that nothing is better than reliving our youth and building up a rere Frog or Hornet or Evo in box art and then taking it for a blast on the local astroturf Tennis courts. 
We’re keen to now branch out and try a track or club meet. But it’s pretty intimidating. Looking at the local tracks and club websites the focus is super technical, with a lot of specific language regarding classes, motor types, motor turns, capacity etc. We need some way of differentiating between the hardcore serious groups and the more fun focused ones.

We’re just looking for some fun. We’re in our early 40s and will bring our pre teen kids along - with the kids having a Lunchbox / Hornet to hopefully get a run. 

What would be the best local club in Auckland (we’re in North Auckland) to get out and have a go? Ideally we’d need to practise too as we’ve never raced. Mostly just looking to meet people into vintage and rere Tamiyas and chat ****3 about the cars 😁

Check out the vintage rules on the NZRCA website. There's a Vintage Interclub Series that has 5 rounds throughout the year in the North Island. Some clubs have a vintage class that runs during regular meets.

1 hour ago, Sir Crashalot said:

Check out the vintage rules on the NZRCA website. There's a Vintage Interclub Series that has 5 rounds throughout the year in the North Island. Some clubs have a vintage class that runs during regular meets.

That sounds so fun, I wish there was something like that in my area. Why can't there be a vintage/rere series in Canada? :( good job with that NZ.

• Like 1

A few of us used to hold a NZ annual

pTamiyaClub meet at Pukekohe Park Racetrack a few years ago now. Was just vintage and some contemporary runners and just fun, not really anything competitive (although there was talk about a SAND Scorcher Cup).

@kalsh, you and Don @Bluefoot (maybe even Mike) keen to do this again?

2 hours ago, Sir Crashalot said:

Sweet. Found this in West Auckland https://www.nzrca.co.nz/events/event-registrations/60d3b7f5702c470004ceb86d I see they’re meeting this Saturday so I’ll grab the kids and a mate or two and head down. 

…and these guys too. Maybe they’re the same club? http://www.airccc.co.nz/Car-Classes.php 

5 minutes ago, berman said:

A few of us used to hold a NZ annual

pTamiyaClub meet at Pukekohe Park Racetrack a few years ago now. Was just vintage and some contemporary runners and just fun, not really anything competitive (although there was talk about a SAND Scorcher Cup).

@kalsh, you and Don @Bluefoot (maybe even Mike) keen to do this again?

I’d be super keen on this fwiw

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NZJohn said:

Sweet. Found this in West Auckland https://www.nzrca.co.nz/events/event-registrations/60d3b7f5702c470004ceb86d I see they’re meeting this Saturday so I’ll grab the kids and a mate or two and head down. 

…and these guys too. Maybe they’re the same club? http://www.airccc.co.nz/Car-Classes.php 

Yep same clubs.

AIRCCC run monthly at the indoor sports place in Henderson. I have never been to a meet but know a lot of the people there and they're a great bunch. I'm pretty sure vintage is silvercan only now too, they dropped the mod class. 2wd is faster, so they tell me.

Counties have a permanent dirt track and fantastic facilities in Pukekohe. Its an 8th/10th track, so its probablya bit much for vintage but they do run it. With a silvercan you roll over the jumps rather than jump them. Check out an 8th day there, you'll see some great racing.

NHRCCC is onroad, they run at Westlake Girls which is great because its covered so they run any weather, and its outdoors. My son runs a Ae B6D in the kids class, they also have an open class where any 10th car can run as well as all the usuals. 

West Auckland RCCC have a track in Glendene. They do a kids class and allcomers but the trcak is really suited to 8th scale, its hard on 10th scale cars. They don't have power either, so you need a lot of batteries or your own power source like a car battery or generator.

Then of course there is the Mangere Bridge invitational where I mow a track in my backyard. You can run anything but have to bring a good attitude and a love of good beer. Sometimes there is a 4hour shortrib or 8hr leg of lamb as well, but it could be pak n save sausages and bread, who knows

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yep same clubs.

AIRCCC run monthly at the indoor sports place in Henderson. I have never been to a meet but know a lot of the people there and they're a great bunch. I'm pretty sure vintage is silvercan only now too, they dropped the mod class. 2wd is faster, so they tell me.

Counties have a permanent dirt track and fantastic facilities in Pukekohe. Its an 8th/10th track, so its probablya bit much for vintage but they do run it. With a silvercan you roll over the jumps rather than jump them. Check out an 8th day there, you'll see some great racing.

NHRCCC is onroad, they run at Westlake Girls which is great because its covered so they run any weather, and its outdoors. My son runs a Ae B6D in the kids class, they also have an open class where any 10th car can run as well as all the usuals. 

West Auckland RCCC have a track in Glendene. They do a kids class and allcomers but the trcak is really suited to 8th scale, its hard on 10th scale cars. They don't have power either, so you need a lot of batteries or your own power source like a car battery or generator.

Then of course there is the Mangere Bridge invitational where I mow a track in my backyard. You can run anything but have to bring a good attitude and a love of good beer. Sometimes there is a 4hour shortrib or 8hr leg of lamb as well, but it could be pak n save sausages and bread, who knows

Hey Jonathon, that’s a great run down. Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response. 

Given AIRCCC have a meet this weekend, we’ll start there. Plus having a silver can vintage class will be right up our alley. It’s just a bugg3r that Speedi aren’t getting the Top Force Evo in till next Tuesday so it may have to be the Frog. I can’t imagine I’ll be competitive but also I don’t really care. I just want to have a crack. 

I’ll have to check out the North Harbour one too. That’s a lot closer with us being in Orewa. 

Cheers again for the full response. I think wherever we go is going to be fun. And that’s the aim of it for us.

And you’ll have to let us know how to get into the invitational; I’m currently half way through Dry July but happy to pay the craft beer entry fee 😜 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NZJohn said:

Hey Jonathon, that’s a great run down. Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response. 

Given AIRCCC have a meet this weekend, we’ll start there. Plus having a silver can vintage class will be right up our alley. It’s just a bugg3r that Speedi aren’t getting the Top Force Evo in till next Tuesday so it may have to be the Frog. I can’t imagine I’ll be competitive but also I don’t really care. I just want to have a crack. 

I’ll have to check out the North Harbour one too. That’s a lot closer with us being in Orewa. 

Cheers again for the full response. I think wherever we go is going to be fun. And that’s the aim of it for us.

And you’ll have to let us know how to get into the invitational; I’m currently half way through Dry July but happy to pay the craft beer entry fee 😜 

Yep I think AIRCCC is your best bet. The jumps are relatively small (its touring cars with bumps really) and the Tamiya's will survive ok. Check out yheir facebook page for photos, there are plenty of Tamiya's there and many that aren't the fastest (Top Force or Super Astute would be the best bet).

NHRCCC is an option for more racing. They run a TT02 class which is pretty much box stock. 21.5T Touring is a big class, often down to C main, and Speedi sells the Express XQ2S so you can get set up in 21.5T for about the same as TT02. The kids can just run their buggies

My parents are in Orewa, we head up there less than we should but pretty often.

The next invitational will be after July, school holidays made sure of that. Usually summer is the safest, my backyard track isn't that big (300sqm ish) but I'd hate to think what a roof costs