JeffSpicoli

I found my grail Tamiya kit - How much would you pay?

1 hour ago, c64orinoco said:

it's not the fastest or best handling chassis

Maybe not, but to me it's the best. You wouldn't take a real dune buggy on the road because it would be rubbish there. But in its element it moves really well.

I don't know if it's as simple as just being really rear-heavy, but it rides the sand beautifully, like a water-skiing boat riding the waves.

At 0:47 in this vid -

As to the topic, I paid somewhere between 600-1200 Euros each for a Holiday Buggy, Super Champ, Rough Rider and early Sand Scorcher. I don't regret it for a second.

I've spent almost 1000 Euros on my tarted-up rere Sand Scorcher, so in comparison the vintage stuff seems reasonably priced to me.

• Like 6

Yeah, if you're a Tamiya AND a VW geek, I can definitely see why you'd spend that much on your 'grail' kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWarty said:

Yeah, if you're a Tamiya AND a VW geek, I can definitely see why you'd spend that much on your 'grail' kit.

I owned an Associated 12i back in the day, and I loved how the carpet car handled.  It was so much fun to drive.  But yeah, the Mk1 is amazing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

So I got my annual bonus of $1600 today at work................   ;)

I could purchase it.

Sound like perfect timing to buy!   :lol:

I'm not a VW nor Golf fanatic, but own a Mk7 Golf-R lightly modded (Cobb Stage1, CBE, BBS CHR, etc).. and MT ofcourse.   GL with your purchase.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Sound like perfect timing to buy!   :lol:

I'm not a VW nor Golf fanatic, but own a Mk7 Golf-R lightly modded (Cobb Stage1, CBE, BBS CHR, etc).. and MT ofcourse.   GL with your purchase.   

MK5 R32 owner here :)

IMG_0452.JPG

• Like 2

It’s only money. Buy it if it makes you happy.  I have pretty much everything I could want but if I came upon a smokin deal for a nib Blazer or Hilux, I’d be tempted

• Like 2

I dont have a holy grail car that I want, but I see it as a similar amount to buy either a new in box vintage model, compared to a new race chassis kit. I spent about £800 on a full on race buggy 5 years ago, and just built it, used it one day and let it sit on a shelf. If I could afford to spend the same money on a vintage car to sit on a shelf, I see no difference. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I contacted the seller he's willing to drop the price by about $210, so I'm probably going to do it. :)

Awesome!  GL. 

• Like 1

are there any certain things to look out for/drive differently (when built) when buying a vintage NIB kit? im considering a NIB super saber despite the price.... i know the plastic will be a bit old, so would you need to drive it with more care than a newer plastic manufacture dated kit?

@nel33 From my experience, NIB has mostly been good with aging plastics and rubber as they have been stored away from direct sunlight and moisture.  My Pajero 5844, Willy's Wheeler, and M38.. they were in immaculate condition.  Rubber parts (boots, tires, etc) are all nice and soft and black.   However, I've encountered disintegrated foam tire inserts and other foams quite often on other kits.

It's really the used (assembled) beat up ones I buy where I run into a variety of issues..  for example a front bulkhead on one M38 might be perfectly fine, but on another it was super brittle and  completely shattered when I went to remove the front bumper springs.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@nel33 From my experience, NIB has mostly been good with aging plastics and rubber as they have been stored away from direct sunlight and moisture.  My Pajero 5844, Willy's Wheeler, and M38, they were in immaculate condition.  Rubber parts (boots, tires, etc) are all nice and soft and black.   However, I've encountered disintegrated foam tire inserts and other foams quite often.

It's really the used (assembled) beat up ones I buy where I run into a variety of issues..  for example a front bulkhead on one M38 might be perfectly fine, but on another it was super brittle and  completely shattered when I went to remove the front bumper springs.  

Thank you for the reply, I was hoping for some horrible info that would dissuade me from a $700 purchase LOL. that's also good news?? As I did have some worries about the integrity of the plastics. Now I need to consider aluminum wheel mounts?? If i pull the trigger on a NIB... It's not like I've spent more on another kit, likely more than $1,500 on the tt02 from a flurry of extra parts and spare body shells... forgot the exact amount to build and spares I got since then, not gonna recalculate for my sanity...

I know Tamiya has rere'd the Super Sabre for decades now so spares should be interesting to find. Should it come to that.

• Haha 1

@nel33 Wow $700 most would keep that new in box or on a shelf and never use it. make sure you can get spares though it does share parts with the boomerang chassis. for 700 you can get 2 cheaper priced runners.

15 minutes ago, DaveBuildsRC said:

@nel33 Wow $700 most would keep that on a shelf and never use it or buy 2 cheaper priced kits. make sure you can get spares though it does share parts with the boomerang chassis.

Yeah that's the dilemma, I don't run the RC cars I have that often so it's not a big issue on wear and tear but I will see if my desire is worth $700 I need a day or 3 to really consider that. Technically its 718 with free shipping, others are more $$+ shipping. Still haven't taken the steps to purchase one yet. A comical hornet is another candidate that is a bit cheaper on the wallet. If the Super Sabre for that price grows on me then God help my wallet, I've shrugged off the comical hornet for now. It helps not to look how cool a comical hornet looks to avoid the buy button. The saber shell design is cool but it's a 7/10 Vs 9/10 TD 2021 design. The TD screamed BUY ME! While the sabre is "hey, I'm also cool. Are you interested?" The Manta and custom lunch box ideas were impossible to resist when I got a cool idea.

Having a broken RC sit around on a table/shelf isn't my cup of tea, I'd rather repairs be feasible and economical. Are boomerang parts common, uncommonnor rare?

On 7/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

So if you’re wondering what kit it is….  VW GOLF MK1 Group 2 pan car….. 

3DDBAA2F-74E1-4197-BA5E-52442099A46F.jpeg

This must be the original?

It was re-released a few years back but I don't remember it being a pan car?. Think the re-release was an M chassis?

22 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

This must be the original?

It was re-released a few years back but I don't remember it being a pan car?. Think the re-release was an M chassis?

That's correct.  The original is a pan car with foamies.   The M05 is the re-release.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

I found my vintage Tamiya grail kit.   It's a pancar - I won't say which one yet.   The seller wants $1400.    I'm willing to spend $1000 because I don't think Tamiya will ever make it again.

What would you pay for your vintage grail Tamiya kit, and which one is it that you have not been able to get your hands on?

I'm speaking of course, NOS, unbuilt, in box, or MIB unbuilt.

I technically have a few myself, but this one I found, is really rare NIB.

This should be interesting :)

Well I've paid a lot more than that for my holy grail. I'd say go for it :)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 3:54 AM, nel33 said:

Yeah that's the dilemma, I don't run the RC cars I have that often so it's not a big issue on wear and tear but I will see if my desire is worth $700 I need a day or 3 to really consider that. Technically its 718 with free shipping, others are more $$+ shipping. Still haven't taken the steps to purchase one yet. A comical hornet is another candidate that is a bit cheaper on the wallet. If the Super Sabre for that price grows on me then God help my wallet, I've shrugged off the comical hornet for now. It helps not to look how cool a comical hornet looks to avoid the buy button. The saber shell design is cool but it's a 7/10 Vs 9/10 TD 2021 design. The TD screamed BUY ME! While the sabre is "hey, I'm also cool. Are you interested?" The Manta and custom lunch box ideas were impossible to resist when I got a cool idea.

Having a broken RC sit around on a table/shelf isn't my cup of tea, I'd rather repairs be feasible and economical. Are boomerang parts common, uncommonnor rare?

For a new built runner, have you considered buying a similar ReRe (eg Boomerang) fit some red shocks, some red ReRe Hotshot parts & TBG body?

ReRe parts are still plentiful. A TamiyaBase parts search & subsequent eBay search will shed some more light.

3 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

For a new built runner, have you considered buying a similar ReRe (eg Boomerang) fit some red shocks, some red ReRe Hotshot parts & TBG body?

ReRe parts are still plentiful. A TamiyaBase parts search & subsequent eBay search will shed some more light.

I've considered the boomerang parts and thought of hot shot parts. Not sure how easy color matching might end up being but if key replacement parts are there then it's fine with me. The more visual parts would be the red shocks but anything else under the shell isn't that big of a deal. For some reason tamiyadase doesn't list tt02 shock length but I got 4 unused ones as I put aluminum ones on  it instead. Fairly certain those could work...

What might be some more modern diff replacement/repair in worst case?

7 hours ago, nel33 said:

What might be some more modern diff replacement/repair in worst case?

There is the mip diff for hotshot found on ebay not sure if it works with the vintage super sabre. A nib 2008 boomerang on ebay is $30 less than the super sabre and the hotshot is $240 usd from towerhobbies.

• Like 1

@nel33 I see used Boomerangs on sale on eBay for pretty cheap from time to time, so I would buy a NIB, build it, and also buy a used one for parts.   

Funny thing you mention parts because it's like a trap for me.  I bought used M38's thinking I'll buy it, break it down, clean it for parts, but then while doing so I find some of the parts on the car too worn to keep in my parts bin and end up just restoring the entire car as a 'backup runner'.  I don't know how many backup runners I made, but originally I was only going to rebuild 4 cars and keep the new build in the display case.   I have like 12 of them now.. well, all the M38's are part of a 'convoy' theme so it's fine.  

• Like 1