JeffSpicoli

I found my grail Tamiya kit - How much would you pay?

8 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

There is the mip diff for hotshot found on ebay not sure if it works with the vintage super sabre. A nib 2008 boomerang on ebay is $30 less than the super sabre and the hotshot is $240 usd from towerhobbies.

thats something that could work though as you said it might not be vintage compatible. the boomerang and hot shot look nice though they do seem rather similar to other brand models in body style lines. the body shell of the sabre is rather unique and i have a thing for weird unique stuff.  granted i havent seen as many different buggy shell styles as other member here but its the weird ones that get my attention for the most part...  the hot shot is a bit too boxy for me, the angles of the boomerang are neat though the high angle of the wing looks a bit off to me. yeah, ima bit picky with body styles to say the least. 

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@nel33 I see used Boomerangs on sale on eBay for pretty cheap from time to time, so I would buy a NIB, build it, and also buy a used one for parts.   

Funny thing you mention parts because it's like a trap for me.  I bought used M38's thinking I'll buy it, break it down, clean it for parts, but then while doing so I find some of the parts on the car too worn to keep in my parts bin and end up just restoring the entire car as a 'backup runner'.  I don't know how many backup runners I made, but originally I was only going to rebuild 4 cars and keep the new build in the display case.   I have like 12 of them now.. well, all the M38's are part of a 'convoy' theme so it's fine.  

a fake sabre ie blue with Saber shell and decals is an interesting idea. not sure yet on on a boomerang but the Sabre body gets my attention more than Boomerang. i do find blue is overused on hop up parts lately, a different color than blue is a change of pace sometimes.

LOL i got many spares for my TT02 but not enough to build a 2nd one from spares. i got 2 trays to have extra body posts and suspension arms. tires and rims, got a few sets... and will have 5 bodies for 1 chassis should i ever take the time to cut and paint the last 2 TT02 body shells.

9 hours ago, nel33 said:

a fake sabre ie blue with Saber shell and decals is an interesting idea. not sure yet on on a boomerang but the Sabre body gets my attention more than Boomerang. i do find blue is overused on hop up parts lately, a different color than blue is a change of pace sometimes.

LOL i got many spares for my TT02 but not enough to build a 2nd one from spares. i got 2 trays to have extra body posts and suspension arms. tires and rims, got a few sets... and will have 5 bodies for 1 chassis should i ever take the time to cut and paint the last 2 TT02 body shells.

I totally agree on the blue parts.   It's just too much for me, I prefer a simple anodized matte black or silver.  Especially when the blue can be seen while the body is on, often times it clashes with the body color unless one is careful.   Like I would never use anodized blue with my olive drab colors or dull reds or any color besides gray scale as it's too bling.  Luckily on my m-chassis the Cooper bodies hide the anodized parts well so I don't have to worry about seeing them from the outside.

First thing I did when I got the wheelie bar thingie for my City Turbo from Yeah Racing was to paint their hideous(?) blue to a neutral silver as it clashed with the blue decals on the body.  :lol:

• Like 1

im just looking at the manual for fun to see what i would get into with this chassis. there are spare parts that might be worthwhile 4 suspension arms, alloy wheel hubs. maybe front bumpers also. USD  $33  for wheel hubs and front bumper, boomerang blue A parts $10 USD and $33 for R and F parts for the suspension arms. i could toss in plastic wheels if needed but they seem to have good stock at the time. it would costs $48 USD for alloy hubs and the set of suspension arms without shipping. metal bearings obvious item. more of a general question those 3x32 screw pins are annoying and the 33mm suspension pins always seem to be 1mm too short to fit without shaving material off the arms. is there a 34-34.5mm suspension pin on the market?

My holy grail keeps changing. Probably why I love this hobby so much.

Any updates @JeffSpicoli? Mr. Hand wants to know...

Pin by Kim Jinright on My Favorite Movies | Very funny movies, Iconic  movies, Dude

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

whelp, got a super Sabre ordered and some sensible spares for it. i hate 3x33mm suspension pins and i need 6 of them or a slightly longer shaft. i always considered buying a vintage RC for its cool factor so im not too suprised. im going to consider it a birthday RC, it was around 2 weeks ago and the other 3 kits i ordered predate my bday.

• Like 2

@nel33 Happy belated birthday.    I like new RC, but vintage RC is very cool stuff.  It's cool to learn the history of how things were.. like my M38 chassis (the first comical entertainment platform with diffs) all the way to the latest GF01TR's.  It's funny how we make the vintage as bone-stock as possible while the new kits we use all sorts of hop-ups to soup it up.  

On 7/30/2021 at 3:07 AM, nel33 said:

im just looking at the manual for fun to see what i would get into with this chassis. there are spare parts that might be worthwhile 4 suspension arms, alloy wheel hubs. maybe front bumpers also. USD  $33  for wheel hubs and front bumper, boomerang blue A parts $10 USD and $33 for R and F parts for the suspension arms. i could toss in plastic wheels if needed but they seem to have good stock at the time. it would costs $48 USD for alloy hubs and the set of suspension arms without shipping. metal bearings obvious item. more of a general question those 3x32 screw pins are annoying and the 33mm suspension pins always seem to be 1mm too short to fit without shaving material off the arms. is there a 34-34.5mm suspension pin on the market?

You can get cheap Yeah Racing / GPM / Jazrider wheel hexes which are a direct swap for the Hotshot style triangle wheel adapters. This allows you to use modern wheels and tyres for running and keep the kit ones for the shelf. I use Yeah Racing which cost about USD5 from RCmart, obviously not worth a separate order for them

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@nel33 Happy belated birthday.    I like new RC, but vintage RC is very cool stuff.  It's cool to learn the history of how things were.. like my M38 chassis (the first comical entertainment platform with diffs) all the way to the latest GF01TR's.  It's funny how we make the vintage as bone-stock as possible while the new kits we use all sorts of hop-ups to soup it up.  

thanks, im not big on celebrating such occasions. in the end its just another day in life and things go on. though my BDAY logic is VERY fuzzy to justify this kit, i can make a early present excuse for the manta  (or TD or lunchie)just as easily, for 2021 maybe i can call this early present for next year???

@Jonathon Gillham yeah, im not sure what terrain will destroy the stock tires too fast. i got sprinter buggy tires and modern hex option for TD. the aluminum red boomerang triangles are spares or maybe the stock plastic will end up as spares. i got plenty of tires as it is so a second set of modern rims and buggy tires would be an option, TD are yellow rims and that will clash with Sabre, Sabre's gotta have red...  if stock tires are cactus pins then modern it is,. the stock tires look like they can last more that 10 minutes vs stock cactus spikes of the TD.

if the stock tires dont wear out that fast i can still use them as runners. i will have 6 kits to choose from though the TT02D isnt really known for being able to drive on grass or mud very well. 3  4wd buggies, 2wdslash and lunchie  will divide the run time up fairly well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

thanks, im not big on celebrating such occasions. in the end its just another day in life and things go on. though my BDAY logic is VERY fuzzy to justify this kit, i can make a early present excuse for the manta  (or TD or lunchie)just as easily, for 2021 maybe i can call this early present for next year???

@Jonathon Gillham yeah, im not sure what terrain will destroy the stock tires too fast. i got sprinter buggy tires and modern hex option for TD. the aluminum red boomerang triangles are spares or maybe the stock plastic will end up as spares. i got plenty of tires as it is so a second set of modern rims and buggy tires would be an option, TD are yellow rims and that will clash with Sabre, Sabre's gotta have red...  if stock tires are cactus pins then modern it is,. the stock tires look like they can last more that 10 minutes vs stock cactus spikes of the TD.

if the stock tires dont wear out that fast i can still use them as runners. i will have 6 kits to choose from though the TT02D isnt really known for being able to drive on grass or mud very well. 3  4wd buggies, 2wdslash and lunchie  will divide the run time up fairly well.

I think the Super Sabre will have oval blocks which last really well. I only run my reres on grass so mine are still like new on my Boomerang, but when i was a kid I used to run my Boomerang (different one) everywhere and the kit tyres just didn't seem to wear out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I think the Super Sabre will have oval blocks which last really well. I only run my reres on grass so mine are still like new on my Boomerang, but when i was a kid I used to run my Boomerang (different one) everywhere and the kit tyres just didn't seem to wear out

It looks like it has ovals as stock to me also, they look like they should last a long time. I only have 5-8hr run time on the slash so far since I purchased it as my schedule does limit time to take the cars for a run. I've done tt02 and slash before in one day and 2 cars was enough time well wasted just like that. My battery stock is rather modest/minimal backups so it does limit run time.

At the very least I already have a steering servo arm solution for the Sabre. The stronger reinforced arm I ordered for the lunchie doesn't seem like I can reuse it for single center post. Not enough meat between the 2 holes. I did order/receive a aluminum 25T horn that came with 2 lunch box hop up arms and 3 posts on the horn L, center, R.

i might need to find a vintage resistor pack to take up the space on the shell as a HW1060 is going on the sabre. i do have a scrap tble02 but that requires mods to make and paint it red??? *gears in brain turning a bit*?

• Like 1