nicherotors

Wild Willy’s 3d printing adventure - by NicheRotors

On 11/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, nicherotors said:

My 'smoothest fine detail plastic' wing mirrors have just arrived and they fit a treat - I've just released the design into the Shapeways shop.  I haven't yet had the time to paint them but hope these two pictures help.

Oh I remember seeing those pass through. Was already wondering what they were for. Glad to see them here! The Wheeler looks much better with mirrors :) What are the aero discs on the wheels? Did you design and print those too?

On 11/15/2021 at 1:12 PM, Tizer said:

What are the aero discs on the wheels? Did you design and print those too?

Yes - and printed very nicely by Shapeways - for example the tyre pressure cap has been printed very crisply.  Some close up pictures were posted on October 10 if interested. 

I’m not yet happy with the design - there is still a lot of air inside - will fix once the design for Willy’s M38 wheels has been modified to make assembly easier. 

Am I the only one interested in having a custom front wheel drive chassis for the Honda?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicherotors said:

Am I the only one interested in having a custom front wheel drive chassis for the Honda?

Whaat??!  :lol:

PS: all my parts are in Pre-Production at Shapeways.   :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nicherotors said:

Probably yes - but it would be your very first original idea...

On 11/15/2021 at 9:42 PM, simensays said:

Probably yes - but it would be your very first original idea...

We must try harder in the future!

To date we’ve only designed items that we want to use for our own enjoyment that are not available via any other route. 

2 hours ago, nicherotors said:

To date we’ve only designed items that we want to use for our own enjoyment that are not available via any other route. 

That is a good plan, I want to have the different car.. 

But on the City Turbo, which wheels and tires would you run?   I'd prefer a non-staggered setup if FWD in the same wheel design as factory.   

23 hours ago, nicherotors said:

We must try harder in the future!

Haha, yeah right - even the title of this very thread is a blatant direct copy.

copycat_idiots.jpg

After seeing you actually purchase some of my designs on Shapeways, and later posting poor variants - like the Jerry Can insert you just added - it's just too silly. It simply sits wrong in my book, but (un)fortunately, your verbose descriptions and uncreative creations are not well engineered.

Looking forward to your next "creative" project as you plan "work harder" - perhaps it will be a vintage filled WW bumper or a WW hard top?

I came here thinking that I was a kindred spirit on a friendly forum with a common love for the same models as you - hence the replication of the thread name.

I apologize for any offence caused and have now changed it.

However, I think we have different definitions of 'original'.  Aside from the jerrycan you have chosen to mention I can't find anyone else offering anything similar to the other parts - clearly generic wing mirrors are available off the shelf but it was a joy to help @Willy iine out.  As requested, despite it not being my cup of tea, we are already working on the body mounts to allow a vintage body to sit on the GF01-SWB chassis - given the size of the world I'm sure someone has turned a vintage WW into a 4x4 - but not many.

But speaking of 'poor variants' seems a bit harsh - some feedback for you: despite your 20 year head start on me the dimensions of the recessed X on your jerrycan insert are not the same as on the Tamiya item.  I wasn't going to mention it and quietly released an alternative that took less than half an hour to design which comes with other unique features too - thus making it original:

• locks the jerrycan in position vertically when viewed from the rear,
  • locks in the vertical position when viewed from the side ensuring that it sits parallel to the tailgate,
  • cannot be pressed into too far

Naturally, it uses more material and will be more expensive - that's what makes a market. 

Believe me - it is definitely not a copy of your item.  So now there are three variants for people to choose from on Shapeways.  Everyone's a winner!  Well, except the person who thought they had sole proprietorship over Wild Willy parts.

I'm here to have fun, will make plenty of mistakes along the way and will strive to get better.  And like you, try to make the community stronger. 

By the way, I remain receptive to constructive feedback on the engineering.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Willy iine said:

That is a good plan, I want to have the different car.. 

But on the City Turbo, which wheels and tires would you run?   I'd prefer a non-staggered setup if FWD in the same wheel design as factory.   

We are using the original/ rerelease wheels and tyres.  By non-staggered I'm assuming you don't want the wide rear track; I was planning to replicate the original but it will be easy enough to accommodate both.

I've got a prototype running, again heavily based on the GF-01, and having owned four Civics many moons ago the front wheel drive nature of the handling is a key part of the Honda experience.  Childish - but fun.  Will update soon.

• Like 1

@nicherotors Nice, so you would use 4 rear wheels and tires?  That might work, if the body can tuck those wide rear tires on the front.  

..or, are you making a new hub to work with the factory front wheels and tires to accept a hex drive hub?   That would also be very cool.  However, not sure if the car would understeer horribly due to the higher traction wider rear tires.. (?)

Anyway, very excited to see your next creation.  

Also great to hear you are doing body mounts for the original M38 body!  :D

On 11/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, nicherotors said:

I came here thinking that I was a kindred spirit on a friendly forum with a common love for the same models as you - hence the replication of the thread name.
I apologize for any offence caused and have now changed it.

Haha, good one - adding "original" really makes it original (in China perhaps). The fact that you do not realise the irony of this only reflects your (lack of) character.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, nicherotors said:

I wasn't going to mention it and quietly released an alternative that took less than half an hour to design which comes with other unique features too - thus making it original:

Yes, copying other peoples ideas and work sure saves time, but no creative person appreciate idiots like yourself doing it.

1 hour ago, simensays said:

Haha, good one - adding "original" makes it really original, you really do get it!

I appreciate your wheels and all, I hate seeing you guys get sour.  There's plenty of space for both of you to coexist.  

I want this area to be a friendly and open environment so that other inventors like both of you can also feel comfortable sharing their creations.  Thanks for your consideration.  ^_^

• Like 1

Guys, thanks again.  I'm real excited to put all of this together this winter!  

IMG_Nov272021at104707AM.jpg.8dde7136fa0817f6a7e54b5adf252d24.jpg

Such clean designs.  Very nice!  :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nicherotors said:

Very nice combination of parts. Enjoy. 

What body colour are you going for this time - olive drab??

I'm going to start off with a Tamiya factory painted WW2 body and later on run my M38 body most likely.  In this case it will be either TS5 or TS70 (olive drab) with a black interior as usual.  

I'm still in the process of moving my entire RC gear to another room in the house so I need to finish that first before I can start the GF01-SWB.   I'm going to take my time and enjoy the build this winter.  

Thanks again. :D

• Like 1

@nicherotors Would you be able to make the side mirrors be horizontal?  I installed them today and it is pointing quite a bit upward.

Thanks!  :D

IMG_Dec42021at63627PM.jpg.e6f3de4240d4acbcebb2df6117727519.jpg

On 12/5/2021 at 12:38 AM, Willy iine said:

@nicherotors Would you be able to make the side mirrors be horizontal?  I installed them today and it is pointing quite a bit upward.

Thanks!  :D

Nice - I quite like that look but will still most likely stick with the more aerodynamic DTM look.

A couple of things for consideration.

I see you have used a screw to hold the two items together - just as we had designed.  How about removing the screw to allow the mirror to be repositioned so that the bottom edge is just as you wish and then either gluing the two items using a spot of epoxy that won't fog the window but will allow some working time to get it just as you wish and/or tell me how big the top gap between the base and the mirror is * and then we can redesign the base for you (to save you painting the mirror again).  I see in another thread you've used something metallic to emulate the reflective glass which looks good - what did you use?

If you dm me your address I'll get three new sets of bases printed up for you to be bundled in with my next batch of fine detail plastic (seem to have weekly orders at the moment!)

Hopefully you like the size of the mirrors - any bigger and the mirrors might seem out of proportion.

* tell me how many sheets of Post-It notes you can fit in the top gap and/ or send the me exact measurement.

• Like 1

Not my original idea - credit goes to @Willy iine for asking to see a vintage body on the GF-01 SWB chassis. 

Please excuse the unpainted wheels and camera phone pictures that tend to bend the horizon at this proximity.

I'll upload the one file to Shapeways that includes the three body posts.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 2

@nicherotors I’m thinking about making a v shaped rubber spacer to sandwich between the mirror and base to gain some downward angle and continue using the screw.. given it won’t strip out. :lol:

If not, I will try some glue as you mentioned.  

If you ever plan to do a revision for Shapeways, also please consider adding a separate mirror piece for the reflector lens so one can paint it separately and drop it into the mirror housing.  That would make it very easy to paint.

Thanks again!

Not an original idea - the inspiration was provided by Lamborghini. A few weeks back @Jamesssband I went to see a neighbours new Urus. The front and rear disk brakes are huge and have been faithfully reduced to 1/10 scale albeit with some artistic licence on the pattern of cross drilled holes.  Likewise, the design of the faux calipers has been adjusted to accommodate practical use but placed in the same orientation relative to the axles. 

The new axle hubs, modified 10mm hex adapters and faux calipers are designed to sit behind the standard GF-01 rims which I quite like.  I came across them on my first Wild Willy conversion on a GF-01 chassis (https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=137457&id=18923) and the diameter of the tyres is pretty close to the originals. 

This is a bit of an experiment but in keeping with Willys fuel cell and racing inspired stickers.

They look good on the computer - we’ll see if they hold up to some punishment in reality.  

D7B1F938-F671-4E7F-BEE1-BD3DADB76D4B.jpeg

I got my tracking number for the 3 post setup, thanks again @nicherotors  :D    I pulled out a fresh NIB M38 body from my time capsule (aka wine cellar) so I will be painting that later this month and running it on my GF01-SWB.  

IMG_Dec82021at63416PM.jpg.7a626de97234c7497c5db7a37d37488d.jpg

I know you guys have some sort of friction going on, but I think this car looks so good with the @simensays wheels.  (front offset adjusted by running thinner hex and cutting the axle threads by 4mm).  Suspension is set up lower too, I have universals on order as the dogbones click at times due to the angle.

IMG_Dec92021at60046AM.jpg.36c95497736b72f44f77a91a741514ce.jpg

The car drives very well.. I mean it only goes so fast with the TorqueTuned motor, but the handling is very good with the lower center of gravity.. I think any GF01 fan would agree that this chassis is cool.

I think I'm going to make an aluminum skid plate like the ones on my M38's where the front lower U hinge pin goes..  and swap the bumper with a M38 bumper..  I made these skid plates as I couldn't find anyone selling them.

IMG_Jun252021at113617AM.jpg.2f2448d22d136ba84be4bb96ce660b1a.jpg

I’m glad you are happy @Willy iine, looks a great combination. As has been said before - you have a great man-cave so it’s only naturel for you to have a fully stocked wine cellar :D.  No friction here - I love a marketplace with choice.

One reason for designing our own wheels was to reduce the track at the front and the other, which is admittedly complicated by having to use magnets to retain the hub caps, was to replicate the original full-size design and give the impression that the offset was the same front and back when clearly it isn’t on the model.

We designed a custom front kick plate that would also retain the front U hinge pin but I felt it looked too cheesy when it arrived, I went for black in keeping with the black anodised parts I use on my originals. @Jamesssb has left it in the above render - happy to add it to the market place if helpful but suspect black is the only reasonable colour. I had one made in aluminium and while it certainly felt strong enough the texture was quite rough and would require quite a bit of time to get it to the finish of the originals.  I clearly didn’t like it much because I don’t have a specific picture - but can be seen with a close up of a prototype rim. 

E379841E-D491-4E8E-B20A-716C5B177758.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 7:13 AM, nicherotors said:

No friction here - I love a marketplace with choice. 

Oh, there's friction all right! You're obviously limited in several aspects, but for sure you've introduced friction to this forum with your "original" ideas. You should stick to collecting Rolexes...