nicherotors

Wild Willy’s 3d printing adventure - by NicheRotors

@nicherotors Very original ideas!

Also, would you have time to design side mirrors for the City Turbo?   I have both the original Willy's Wheeler and the WR02 based Honda City and both are missing side mirrors... it's been bugging me since day one..  The mirror base mounting shape can be flat triangles and I would 3M tape them on.  I prefer not to drill the body/windows as mine are originals.    

On 10/11/2021 at 1:17 AM, Willy iine said:

@nicherotors Very original ideas!

Also, would you have time to design side mirrors for the City Turbo?   

Great idea - how about this @Willy iine?

I quite like the set @Jamesssb has fitted to his original Wheeler but we cant remember where he found them!

Wing mirror.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

• Like 1

@nicherotors When you design the mirror base, can you check to make sure the mirror does not dog ear (droop) like this generic side mirror I bought online?

IMG_Oct142021at75707AM.jpg.94ea01966174ea0f265c9e7586339db3.jpg

I should've checked that angle before I painted as I could have heat gun manipulated it.. anyway I remounted this time by adjusting the take off angle at the base..  

I look forward to your side mirrors!  I'd like to get it in the smooth print material.  

IMG_Oct142021at75737AM.jpg.4a49660bbd184b58533cca463072ec8e.jpg

IMG_Oct142021at75754AM.jpg.f34a5d7d295b947e0702b6c963a45af9.jpg

IMG_Oct142021at75814AM.jpg.5753c1637b4e34806feb87f6803260ff.jpg

• Like 1

Hi chaps, 

thanks john for posting the pictures. 
I am not currently with my rc wheeler to take an angle reading, if you are able to give me an idea of what it is I can re model it. 

james. 

Think we are nearly there with the wing mirrors for you @Willy iine - only need to adjust a few things around the edges - what do you think?

My preference is for the smaller one but we can make both available.

IMG_8401.JPG

IMG_8406.JPG

IMG_8410.JPG

IMG_8409.JPG

• Like 2

In the background we have completed our short-wheelbase 4x4 chassis (GF-03) for Wild Willy - but being matt black its hard for me to photograph well. 

Everything fits very well and the weight is comparable to the standard Tamiya items.

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8266.JPG

IMG_8440.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8509.JPG

• Like 3

@nicherotors Wow, the mirrors looks great!   THANKS.  I’d like mine big because of the comical nature of these CitiTurbos.   :D

Very nice on the SWB GF01 as well.  Actually I ordered a couple more GF01 chassis the other day so this is perfect!  

BTW which oil damper set are you using on the SWB?   Is that the hop up one for the CC01?  

On 10/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, Willy iine said:

BTW which oil damper set are you using on the SWB?   Is that the hop up one for the CC01?  

Good spot, on top of a GF-01 chassis and the WW2 body parts here is the short list of items I've used; clearly other items that are of the same size should work fine but these are what we have designed the chassis around:

1 x Hitec HS-77BB: dimensions (metric) 44.0 x 23.0 x 25.0

1 x Tamiya 54541 CC-01 Aluminium Oil Damper: eye-to-eye the front are 61mm, rear 66mm (to replicate the ride height of the 1982 original then plastic shims included on the sprue are required to restrict travel *)

Additional hop-ups that aren't mandatory include:

2 x Tamiya Titanium Turnbuckle Shaft 3x35: three are used but they come in packs of two (just as well I'm building three!)

1 x Tamiya 53587 5mm Shim Set: I've not met a GF-01 that didn't need a few shims to run a bit smoother

Electronics are a personal choice but I'm happy with the standard Tamiya ESC and the switch fits perfectly; chassis 001 runs fine with the basic silver can, 002 has the Tamiya Motor 35T Brushed 540 - CR-Tuned for a bit of bling, currently undecided on 003. 

* If you order a set of chassis parts I'll do a step by step guide on assembly but all fairly straight forward for anyone who has built several GF-01's before. :lol:

• Like 1

If you don’t mind I’m going to suggest another week/ ten days. 

We’ve just made a cosmetic but slightly functional change to the mount for the front bumper.  I realised that because the edge to the front bumper springs is sharp that it can scar the plastic should it rotate - so we have inserted a little cheese slice of a shape so that the springs are locked in place and are not allowed to rotate when under a bit of compression. 

While the wing mirrors look close in the pictures we want to get the angles of the mount around the window ledge right for you so it’s a snug fit.

Super easy for us to make the items a bit bigger if you wish - more akin to the comical size of your existing ones - just let us know, otherwise we’ll run with what we have. 

9CC6BA3E-9E3E-4456-840B-8D9EBE152C56.jpeg

• Like 1

@nicherotors Thanks, actually if you can make the side mirrors match the size I currently have, that would be great.  

Without the base and neck, the mirror housing itself is approximately 22mm width, 15mm height.  The mirror barely protrudes past the front fender, but ideally it should be flush.

Since I am using 3M mounting tape, if you can also make the base triangle to the window bigger that would be great too for more adhesive surface.  

(If this is too much work, no problem I'll take what you have done so far..!)

No problem on the timing, this is my winter project so it's no rush. :)    Nice idea on the spring stop.

No - not at all - we’ve enlarged the wing mirrors to meet your dimensions. Once the test fit works I’ll get them posted up on Shapeways (which is something we’ve never done before). 

F59FCF84-0B3C-4344-A95A-A0489A2D81AA.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nicherotors said:

No - not at all - we’ve enlarged the wing mirrors to meet your dimensions. Once the test fit works I’ll get them posted up on Shapeways (which is something we’ve never done before). 

F59FCF84-0B3C-4344-A95A-A0489A2D81AA.jpeg

Awesome!   Thanks so much.  :D

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:48 PM, Willy iine said:

Ready when you are, @nicherotors!!

Right there with you @Willy iine; at the beginning of this thread in July I had two of the Toyota and one of the Monster Beetle Trail - they are all migrating across to my new chassis. 

The front bumper mount is in production and if that works out when it arrives next week I'll get the files up on Shapeways.  Most likely that I'll order my third set at the same time as you.  I'll be interested in your delivery time given you are in the US - am hoping the turnaround is on par with what we get here in Europe.  @Jamesssb and I were working it out the other night, excluding the two Shapeways prints we have done many full FDM prints at home so this has certainly been an interesting journey - but a real labor of love.  When we have finished with all the other items currently being prototyped we will get the old FDM prints recycled.

• Like 2

@nicherotors I did some shopping for RC goods today at my usual online store so ordered the HiTec servo you mentioned above.  

I think I'm just going to run CVA Mini's in the lengths you posted for the time being.  I can't find any CC01 dampers in the USA and do not want to order from overseas at the moment.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:58 AM, Willy iine said:

I think I'm just going to run CVA Mini's in the lengths you posted for the time being.  I can't find any CC01 dampers in the USA and do not want to order from overseas at the moment.

Brilliant - I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Quick question @Willy iine - for my own personal use I’ve got a pocket on the front of the chassis for a little brass plaque with a unique number on - do you want the same or shall we remove before uploading to Shapeways?

The last time I got a bunch of custom photo etched parts made in brass (including the name plate for Yasuo Ōtsuka) I included a few of these little brass plaques individually numbered.  I’m happy, at no cost, to put in the post for you or anyone else for that matter.  Won’t be making any money out of Shapeways - this is purely a goodwill gesture, from enthusiasts to enthusiasts, for those that follow in our footsteps.  Offer only valid until I run out of brass plaques! :D

But let us know if you don’t like the idea and it will be easy enough to delete the pocket. 

78327466-6684-4683-8F54-D4A9B2C98325.png

• Like 1

@nicherotors Thanks for asking.  Honestly  I would prefer without, but I can always make a black cover for that space so if you can’t remove the surrounding lip, no issue either way!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:27 PM, Willy iine said:

@nicherotors Thanks for asking.  Honestly  I would prefer without, but I can always make a black cover for that space so if you can’t remove the surrounding lip, no issue either way!  

The pocket was removed.  The four files for the SWB chassis have been loaded up onto Shapeways and can be found here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/nicherotors

The final pattern for the Wheeler wing mirrors will be available after a final test fit in the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 12:38 AM, Willy iine said:

@nicherotors Awesome!   Thank you.   I will wait until the side mirrors are available and order everything together.  :D

My 'smoothest fine detail plastic' wing mirrors have just arrived and they fit a treat - I've just released the design into the Shapeways shop.  I haven't yet had the time to paint them but hope these two pictures help.

IMG_8825.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nicherotors said:

My 'smoothest fine detail plastic' wing mirrors have just arrived and they fit a treat - I've just released the design into the Shapeways shop.  I haven't yet had the time paint them but hope these two pictures help.

IMG_8825.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

Awesome!   Going to place order this afternoon.   Thanks again!!