JeffSpicoli

Painting polycarb body question

I'm in the midst of painting my Frog and it's wing is first.   My wing is going to have 2 colors.  My question is simple, should I shoot the backing paint after I finish the first color or should I paint both colors then doing the backing white paint over both colors?  I was thinking of doing the white backing paint between colors to prevent any possibility of one color showing through the other.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Do the darker color first.  Do several coats. Then do the lighter color. Same number of coats. Then back with silver then white.

Or at least that the way I’ve been doing it…

It wouldn’t hurt to back the darker color while it’s still masked. Then come back and do the lighter color, and then back it all with white again.

Opacity is always tricky to judge with polycarbonate paints. If you've misjudged the opacity of the blue, there's a chance that the pink would change the shade. Safer to back with white before the pink goes on.

[1]  I'm lazy.  So I'd cover up the to-be-pink portion and spray blue layer first.  After blue layer is dried, I'd back it with white.  

At least the blue side is done.  And then I would unmask and spray pink.  It doesn't matter if you overspray pink on the white, because white is opaque.  If you don't do the white after blue, the oversprayed part would look slightly purple. (Even though blue is darker, pink will be backed with white, so the combined colors will be somewhat purple).  So I think white after blue is a must (unless you wanted purple at the border).  Pink sprayed on white is not going to show through; blue won't be affected.  After pink layer dries, give it another shot of white to back pink.  

So, the blue part would get 4 layers; Blue/White + (oversprayed) Pink/White.  The pink part would just get Pink/White.  

7OfarZS.jpg

This way, you are done with just one mask.  

[2]  If you want, you could paint the blue layer first, when the blue part totally dries, you can mask blue and then spray pink.  But that's going to require a maddening precision.  When blue and pink dries, you can spray a single layer of white.  But if you missed even a sliver, white line would show up. And overlapped part would be purple.  Unless you really want to save on some paint, this second method would be a very very difficult one to pull off. I can't do it, so I won't recommend this second method at all. 

• Like 1

I'm leaning toward your first suggestion @Juggular  

I've sprayed the blue, the pink area is still masked.   I'll probably lay down white behind the blue now, then do the pink.

I learned a quick no brainer lesson with the driver.  

I should not have primed him in gray, but that's what I had.   Spraying his helmet pink was much harder with that dark primer, I should have used white primer.   But I did buy some now :)

That looks like a solid blue which is not so critical to back with paint. Metallic paints definitely need a backer before moving to the next color.  

However just to be safe I’d go with Frog jumpers recommend to back the blue then move on to the pink