Raman36

Tamiya 45th RC anniversary Porsche 934 RSR Vaillant version in white (TA-02SW chassis)

3 hours ago, Raman36 said:

This was just added

47479 TA02 Carbon Chassis Conversion Set

It will be nice to find those at a reasonable price now. 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:45 AM, jhoneyman said:

how do you subscribe?  Can't find how to do so.

Pretty sure the discount they are referring to is for Tamiya Club Subscribers, on the main site

On 8/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, jhoneyman said:

how do you subscribe?  Can't find how to do so.

Hi mate - just been through this process myself.  Subscribe to Tamiya Club (click here) then email James at Fusion Hobbies (email address is on their profile page here) with your subscriber number - he'll then send you the Tamiya Club discount code to use.  Hope that helps. :)

44 minutes ago, luke.jenner said:

Can anyone tell me if I pre-order from Tamico do they Require you to pay up-front

in full?

Thanks!  Luke

You will have to pay up-front in full. 

30 minutes ago, JimmyMcGoose said:

What’s the position with taxes/charges when ordering from Tamico to the uk?

Minimum order value €160 (ex shipping). Tamico remove local VAT (19% I think) from the price of your basket once you log in with a UK account or try and ship to the UK

It's then pot luck if you get charged Import VAT and charges when it hits the UK. Generally it seems like you do (I've ordered twice since they put this system in place, and both came with UK Import charges) but based on the fact that Tamico knock the local VAT off first, it sort of evens out

So to order this kit you would pay €204 inc shipping. If charges apply then item price €185, add 20% VAT = €222 + €19 shipping = €241 / c£220. Plus c£10 handling fees = £230-ish. I paid £250 to Fusion for my pre-order (inc the TC subscriber discount) and, while I'm in no way, shape or form a Brexiter 🇪🇺🇪🇺, for the sake of £20 I was / am happy to give the business to a UK Hobby Store and supporter of this brilliant forum 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Minimum order value €160 (ex shipping). Tamico remove local VAT (19% I think) from the price of your basket once you log in with a UK account or try and ship to the UK

It's then pot luck if you get charged Import VAT and charges when it hits the UK. Generally it seems like you do (I've ordered twice since they put this system in place, and both came with UK Import charges) but based on the fact that Tamico knock the local VAT off first, it sort of evens out

So to order this kit you would pay €204 inc shipping. If charges apply then item price €185, add 20% VAT = €222 + €19 shipping = €241 / c£220. Plus c£10 handling fees = £230-ish. I paid £250 to Fusion for my pre-order (inc the TC subscriber discount) and, while I'm in no way, shape or form a Brexiter 🇪🇺🇪🇺, for the sake of £20 I was / am happy to give the business to a UK Hobby Store and supporter of this brilliant forum 

Thanks. I’d already pre ordered from a uk store which I will still buy but when I saw the Tamico price I thought I had to jump so ordered one from there too! I then remembered about import tax etc. 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

If charges apply then item price €185, add 20% VAT = €222 + €19 shipping = €241 / c£220

Not that it makes a massive difference when the item is a lot more than the shipping, but you also pay import VAT on the shipping, so it's the item (price + shipping) + 20% + ~£10 fee.

And if it's more than £135 you might have to pay customs fees too - the rates of which are different for different items... (ugh)

Thanks for the reply.  I used to pre order lots of kits from tower hobbies who only charge your credit card on dispatch, but they won’t send internationally any more and I can’t use a forwarding service as the tower hobbies system won’t allow non-us credit cards, or PayPal for pre-orders!

14 hours ago, JimmyMcGoose said:

Thanks. I’d already pre ordered from a uk store which I will still buy but when I saw the Tamico price I thought I had to jump so ordered one from there too! I then remembered about import tax etc. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’d alreafy ordered from Fusion, but the Tamico price looks great so I’ve just ordered one from there, coming to the UK, a bit if an experiment as it looks like the Tamico one will come in (after import duties and vat) cheaper than the £251 with 10% subscriber discount from Fusion. I also paid Tamico by bank transfer rather than PayPal - much better exchange rate for a lower price paid, and no fees. 👍

47 minutes ago, futureworks said:

I also paid Tamico by bank transfer rather than PayPal - much better exchange rate for a lower price paid, and no fees. 👍

You can choose to use your own banks exchange rate when using PayPal, you get the option to change it before you confirm the payment. And as a buyer you do not pay any fees to PayPal :) 

5 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

You can choose to use your own banks exchange rate when using PayPal, you get the option to change it before you confirm the payment. And as a buyer you do not pay any fees to PayPal :) 

Interesting, thanks, didn’t know about PayPal and selecting your own banks rate. BTW, on fees, I meant the bank transfer, whilst international, was fee free.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:28 AM, Raman36 said:

This was just added

Any word yet if this is a full conversion or just the carbon fiber decks and towers?

5 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Any word yet if this is a full conversion or just the carbon fiber decks and towers?

Typically it's just the decks, not even the towers (for a TA02).

20 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

Typically it's just the decks, not even the towers (for a TA02).

Yeah that’s what I figured. I just saw this

https://www.modelbuild.co.uk/products/tamiya-47479-ta02-carbon-chassis-conversion-set

which said it was a full conversion. But has the frp conversion pictured. I also saw a different page on their site that said not clear if full conversion or not… probably just the carbon decks makes more sense though.

1 hour ago, Rscot said:

Yeah that’s what I figured. I just saw this

https://www.modelbuild.co.uk/products/tamiya-47479-ta02-carbon-chassis-conversion-set

which said it was a full conversion. But has the frp conversion pictured. I also saw a different page on their site that said not clear if full conversion or not… probably just the carbon decks makes more sense though.

That's a full chassis conversion from plastic tub to double deck, you then need to add carbon plates as well. The 45th Anniversary car comes double deck already so you'll just need the chassis plates. Shock towers will be separate if they're even available in carbon.

5 hours ago, djmcnz said:

That's a full chassis conversion from plastic tub to double deck, you then need to add carbon plates as well. The 45th Anniversary car comes double deck already so you'll just need the chassis plates. Shock towers will be separate if they're even available in carbon.

The photo is in fact a bit misleading and I'm indirectly to blame for that. I posted the photo and the description on my Mokei Kagaku Facebook page yesterday. As I did multiple unique and distinct linguistic corrections to Tamiya's description and exactly the same corrections can be found in Model Build's description, it's pretty evident that the photo and description were copied from my post, which is perfectly fine.  However, what Model Build omitted, which leads to confusion, was my remark about the photo:

Quote:

(The extensively identical 47396 TA02 FRP Chassis Conversion Set shown for visualisation only.)

Unquote.

In other words, 47479 is almost identical to 47396, but with carbon lower and upper deck and front and rear shock towers.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/mokeikagaku/posts/4111047785688793

• Like 1

@Mokei Kagaku - I don't do FB because it's a blight on humanity so I can't see your post there.

Regardless, I think what you're saying is that Tamiya have upgraded the TA02 "FRP Chassis Conversion Set" to a "Carbon Chassis Conversion Set", is that correct?

If that's the case it's terrible value for a 45th Anniversary (or a 40th for that matter) because it includes a whole bunch of redundant parts you already have. The smarter buy would be the chassis plates alone (e.g. 53195) although I have no idea on availability.

It begs the question why Tamiya don't just include carbon decks in the kit, if the above is true then it's a di*k move by Tamiya. They rere'd the carbon plates with the 40th, surely they can do the same for the 45th at a lower cost than the full (unnecessary) conversion set.

Of course it's great for those with tub TA02's that want to upgrade but really, how big is that market these days?

46 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

- I don't do FB because it's a blight on humanity so I can't see your post there.

I fully appreciate that! I'm not a big fan of FB myself, but have chosen to use FB for my Mokei Kagaku "Tamiya" page as it's a free and relatively easy format to use for the "blog" format I want the MK page to have. Also, I have set up the MK page in such a way that access is possible without logging in, so for those who don't have and don't want an FB account, the page is still accessible. You just can't comment on it.

Regardless, I think what you're saying is that Tamiya have upgraded the TA02 "FRP Chassis Conversion Set" to a "Carbon Chassis Conversion Set", is that correct?

According to Tamiya's official description, yes. So unlike the original TA02/FF01 Carbon Chassis Plate set (#53195), the FRP Chassis Conversion Set isn't required to convert from bath tub to carbon chassis.

If that's the case it's terrible value for a 45th Anniversary (or a 40th for that matter) because it includes a whole bunch of redundant parts you already have. The smarter buy would be the chassis plates alone (e.g. 53195) although I have no idea on availability.

It begs the question why Tamiya don't just include carbon decks in the kit, if the above is true then it's a di*k move by Tamiya. They rere'd the carbon plates with the 40th, surely they can do the same for the 45th at a lower cost than the full (unnecessary) conversion set.

I fully agree and although 47479 was named "Conversion Set" already when it was announced early in August, I kind of expected it to be the plates only. So I was surprised when I got the full description yesterday, which confirms that it's indeed a complete conversion set.

Of course it's great for those with tub TA02's that want to upgrade but really, how big is that market these days?

I too think that market must be tiny, even when counting in Japan.

• Thanks 1

Yep, it seems we're in general agreement, thanks for the detailed info.

11 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

I fully appreciate that! I'm not a big fan of FB myself, but have chosen to use FB for my Mokei Kagaku "Tamiya" page as it's a free and relatively easy format to use for the "blog" format I want the MK page to have. Also, I have set up the MK page in such a way that access is possible without logging in, so for those who don't have and don't want an FB account, the page is still accessible. You just can't comment on it.

Interesting, FYI the link you posed in the thread does require a FB login however, after this post I checked the link in your sig and that does not require a FB login. Weird. 🤷

55 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

My 40th anniversary Jagermeister kit only has the FRP parts, not carbon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

My 40th anniversary Jagermeister kit only has the FRP parts, not carbon.

Yes, as does everyone's. The 40th comes with FRP plates (as does the 45th) but at the same time they released the 40th they rere'd the carbon plate set (53195) so you could upgrade your FRP kit to carbon. They could/should/may have done the same this time, almost nobody needs the full conversion kit these days (although I might buy one anyway because I'm a Porsche TA02 freak 😂 - I have a spare beautiful boxart Starcard that could do with a double deck conversion before I sell it).

I still have a NIB vintage FRP Conversion Set and like almost all my vintage stuff, Tamiya are apparently intent on undermining the value of it.

Surely, if you're really in the game of wanting to upgrade the 45th Anniversary 934 plates from FRP to Carbon, you're also going to want to correct the wheelbase from 236mm to 230mm so that beautiful shell sits properly??

In which case what you really need are these and these

That full conversion set seems to be more for the (probably tiny number of) people who want to upgrade a tub TA-02 to dual deck. And it also looks like it's for full length TA02 (eg the new Calibra) rather than S / SW?

• Like 1