Raman36

Tamiya 45th RC anniversary Porsche 934 RSR Vaillant version in white (TA-02SW chassis)

Yes, @Juhunio that's pretty much correct... well at least I agree with you about the shell and demand for the conversion set. The cynic in me says that Tamiya are only releasing the carbon plates as part of a full conversion set so they can charge more. Which really is terrible for my brand loyalty.

Yes, you're better off buying the modified, shorter, carbon decks for less than the conversion set and a better fit! 

The shock towers are, and always have been, fine in FRP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

And it also looks like it's for full length TA02 (eg the new Calibra) rather than S / SW?

The difference between a TA02 and TA02S(W) is the rear arms, TA02S(W) uses TA01 rear arms. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

The difference between a TA02 and TA02S(W) is the rear arms, TA02S(W) uses TA01 rear arms. 

Interesting! So the chassis tub / plates are all the same length regardless of standard TA02 / S / SW? That's a heck of a difference to achieve just with arms.....from 260mm WB on the TA02 (Calibra) to 236mm on the TA02S/SW

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Interesting! So the chassis tub / plates are all the same length regardless of standard TA02 / S / SW? That's a heck of a difference to achieve just with arms.....from 260mm WB on the TA02 (Calibra) to 236mm on the TA02S/SW

The DF-01 is guilty of that! When the TA01 was designed, Tamiya decided to keep the DF-01 tub and angled the rear drive shafts forward to reduce the wheelbase to 257mm'ish.  Then the shorter TA02 (FF01) tub was introduced to improve CoG, resulting in rear drive shafts angled rearward to create the same wheelbase as that of the TA01. The angles of the rear drive shafts are of course dictated by the TA01 (forward) and TA02 (rearward) rear suspension arms. To create the TA02SW (and later TA02S), Tamiya combined the short TA02 tub with the forward angled TA01 rear suspension arms.

(The "W" in TA02SW is achieved with wider offset wheels only, whereas the "W" in TA02W is additionally achieved by combining wide TA02 front suspension arms with wide TA01 front knuckle arms.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

The DF-01 is guilty of that! When the TA01 was designed, Tamiya decided to keep the DF-01 tub and angled the rear drive shafts forward to reduce the wheelbase to 257mm'ish.  Then the shorter TA02 (FF01) tub was introduced to improve CoG, resulting in rear drive shafts angled rearward to create the same wheelbase as that of the TA01. The angles of the rear drive shafts are of course dictated by the TA01 (forward) and TA02 (rearward) rear suspension arms. To create the TA02SW (and later TA02S), Tamiya combined the short TA02 tub with the forward angled TA01 rear suspension arms.

(The "W" in TA02SW is achieved with wider offset wheels only, whereas the "W" in TA02W is additionally achieved by combining wide TA02 front suspension arms with wide TA01 front knuckle arms.)

Amazing background detail Erik 👏 As ever, I bow to your invaluable expertise 🙇‍♂️ 

Saw this on Tonys Tamiya Facebook page just now - it was posted yesterday. That price is way higher than I was expecting 😫

2B1A1EE1-5593-434A-AF45-7B8E24BEFCFE.jpeg

18 minutes ago, futureworks said:

Saw this on Tonys Tamiya Facebook page just now - it was posted yesterday. That price is way higher than I was expecting 😫

2B1A1EE1-5593-434A-AF45-7B8E24BEFCFE.jpeg

That’s expensive, not what I was expecting… I’m looking for just the conversion for my ta02t. At that price might as well just buy the anniv Porsche. Swap the chassis and have my upgraded Ta02t and a nice plastic tub Porsche

Are those CF or FRP damper towers ? 

If CF I think it’s the first time Tamiya have released them ? 🤔

And £149 isn’t bad give the 53195 can go for £100 alone 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Are those CF or FRP damper towers ? 

If CF I think it’s the first time Tamiya have released them ? 🤔

And £149 isn’t bad give the 53195 can go for £100 alone 

Agree with @SuperChamp82 i don't think its a massive cost considering the price of the parts separately, plus it'll come in a lovely box:)

Pre-ordered the CF conversion set but planning to use with the maxspeedpartsde carbon chassis set for 230mm wheelbase. Just need to source a press to shorten the prop shaft. Any must-have, sourceable hop-ups? Also, can't decide on motor.

Nice to see they've done the packaging justice on this one, with it being presented in a similar fashion to the 2006 30th Anniversary kit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

that ^ post has gone for me, I can't see it, here's the pic... looks awesome!

47477_Kit_Box.jpg

• Like 2

I was going to pass on this as I have a 40th that I still haven’t opened.  Then I saw the box.  And here I am trying to buy less ☹️

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, djmcnz said:

47477_Kit_Box.jpg

It's back up now as Instagram has recovered from it's crash. 

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

It's back up now as Instagram has recovered from it's crash. 

Still doesn't work for me but that's cool, I've seen what I need to.

11 hours ago, djmcnz said:

47477_Kit_Box.jpg

That is beautiful, with a clear lineage to the 30th anniversary 49400. I'm excited!

Unpainted body so that's good, the problem for me is that the packaging is so pretty it's gonna be a bit painful to tear all of that open, unless I buy two of course, that might soothe the pain a little... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I’m digging the little plate they are including. It will go nicely on the car stand

Seems like this kit is going to be seriously undersupplied as Tamiya have, once again, underestimated the demand for it and retailers are having to cancel pre-orders.  Tamiya really need to sort themselves out as this is becoming a frequent occurence.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Seems like this kit is going to be seriously undersupplied as Tamiya have, once again, underestimated the demand for it and retailers are having to cancel pre-orders.  Tamiya really need to sort themselves out as this is becoming a frequent occurence.

Have you had a pre-order cancelled, and if so which retailer?

42 minutes ago, futureworks said:

Have you had a pre-order cancelled, and if so which retailer?

No, not as yet. My order is with Fusion and already paid for, but there is no guarantee that I will receive it as they don't know how many kits they are getting yet.

Well, same goes for me as I ordered with them as well when the release was announced. I also ordered one from Tamico at the same time as the price was better, and as a contingency!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureworks said:

Well, same goes for me as I ordered with them as well when the release was announced. I also ordered one from Tamico at the same time as the price was better, and as a contingency!

Strange that Tamico are still offering it for pre-order when other retailers are cancelling theirs....

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Strange that Tamico are still offering it for pre-order when other retailers are cancelling theirs....

Which retailers are cancelling?

5 hours ago, middleagedgrup said:

Which retailers are cancelling?

L&L Models. Fusion have also pulled the listing from their shop. Also saw Tony's Tamiya Parts state recently that stock was now going to be extremely limited.