Raman36

Tamiya 45th RC anniversary Porsche 934 RSR Vaillant version in white (TA-02SW chassis)

1 hour ago, futureworks said:

Nice one @Wandy, good to know!

Yeah I'd get in touch with Joanne at Fusion for confirmation. She might not be in the loop about it yet, but Antony has very good connections with Tamiya Japan.

2 hours ago, Wandy said:

Pleasantly surprised to discover that my order from RC Jaz has gone through and the kit is on it's way. I see that they have also put the price up on the remaining ones though.

However, Antony @europro975 at Tony's Tamiya Parts has confirmed on facebook that the UK will get two more batches of these, so I guess all of those whose pre-orders didn't happen this time around will get their kits eventually.

Hey that's great news if true - will be great if all those who genuinely wanted one can actually get one. Thanks for passing on the info @Wandy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

@Mokei Kagaku: Very interesting story about the history of the „King Pins“. Where did you get this informations? 

The short version is that I worked for a Tamiya distributor from 1982 to 2000. Additionally, I spent Saturdays and a lot of my free time working for a friend who ran a hobbyshop specialized on Tamiya in roughly the same time period, including building models for display, demonstrations and customers and servicing and repairing models for customers outside opening hours.  I virtually lived and breathed Tamiya, which is certainly not something I brag about. It was pretty insane and friends, family and girlfriends were áffected. I don't have any children and never wanted to, so thankfully, no kids suffered.  However, my fanatic involvement in "anything Tamiya" sure turned into a career-stopper when I moved to a different trade, but with a lot of (undeserved) luck, I'm doing fine now.

The details I mentioned in previous posts about the Hotshot are easy to remember. I participated in EFRA-sanctioned buggy races with Hotshot-series cars from 1985 to 1987, starting with an Initial Production Hotshot (Frog before that) and unfortunately got quite some personal experience with the shortcomings of the model and the Hotshot-series' evolution the following years.

Furthermore, I started compiling a "database" about Tamiya items around 1981/1982 and have continuously maintained and expanded this since with updates virtually every day, and I continued with this when I moved to Germany and started working in the automotive industry in 2000.   Getting inside information from Tamiya in Japan is virtually impossible and apart from a couple of tiny bits of information, I have never found or received any during all these years. Also, I must emphasize that despite spending a lot of time and collecting books, letters, catalogs, news bulletins and all sorts of documentation about Tamiya, I have barely scratched the surface. The documentation and knowledge I have about Tamiya is absolutely insignificant compared to  all I don't have or know. Also, I'm fully aware of that my "database" and knowledge about Tamiya are of no actual value.

With this, I hope it's pretty evident that the details mentioned in previous posts are the result of heavy involvement over a quite long time period, and therefore not at all difficult to remember, or compile in written form. 

I apologise for the partial high-jacking of the thread! That was never my intention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, futureworks said:

Back in stock at Tamico, but at a hefty price - €420

How can this even be justified? Isnt it just blatant profiteering?

19 minutes ago, Wandy said:

How can this even be justified? Isnt it just blatant profiteering?

It also includes this, which I assume is specifically to avoid profiteering:

This item includes a store credit to the customer account of the buyer of 150 EUR (respectively 126 EUR when ordered without VAT i.e. purchases from outside the EU). This store credit can be used when ordering again from Tamico. Cash payments of the store credit are not possible

So a genuine Tamiya fan gets a kit they want with a commitment to spend cash on more bits and pieces relevant to their hobby, where a pure scalper gets useless credit and a massive dent in their margin 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

It also includes this, which I assume is specifically to avoid profiteering:

This item includes a store credit to the customer account of the buyer of 150 EUR (respectively 126 EUR when ordered without VAT i.e. purchases from outside the EU). This store credit can be used when ordering again from Tamico. Cash payments of the store credit are not possible

So a genuine Tamiya fan gets a kit they want with a commitment to spend cash on more bits and pieces relevant to their hobby, where a pure scalper gets useless credit and a massive dent in their margin 

Ah. That's a pretty good idea actually.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wandy said:

Ah. That's a pretty good idea actually.

I agree, it's a pretty neat solution

10 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I agree, it's a pretty neat solution

Still makes the kit around 300 euro for a UK buyer, and when Tamico pulled the plug on pre-orders, the price was 252. Previously, when i bought mine, it had been 184 (all these figures being vat free). I think the value of the credit ought to be higher, but agree nevertheless that as a means of stopping people buying purely to sell on for a margin, it's an imaginative solution.

Just got some (hopefully) good news from the store I ordered my 45th through, Metro Hobbies.

They tell me they have spoken to the Australian distributor who told them to expect enough kits to fulfill quite a few pre-orders, however the shipment has been divided into two. Apparently, I was one of the first to pre-order so they tell me I will get mine in the first drop. One can only hope the promised numbers are actually supplied.

I'm not game to get my hopes up just yet, but it seems word of the debacle we had here with the TF EVO may have gotten back to someone who matters enough to make sure it didn't happen again.

Hopefully.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, futureworks said:

Still makes the kit around 300 euro for a UK buyer, and when Tamico pulled the plug on pre-orders, the price was 252. Previously, when i bought mine, it had been 184 (all these figures being vat free). I think the value of the credit ought to be higher, but agree nevertheless that as a means of stopping people buying purely to sell on for a margin, it's an imaginative solution.

Yes, any 'early mover' price advantage has gone, but I also think Tamico's early pricing was unusually low compared to other retailers around the world. And with stock showing up here and there and a rumoured 'second batch' on the way, even the scalper market looks a bit flooded to me with around 20 available on eBay right now. If buyers look around, and stay patient....

47 minutes ago, middleagedgrup said:

Customs duty paid today, delivery due tomorrow.  Looking forward to getting my hands on it.  Has yours arrived by now @futureworks?

Yup, I got a letter yesterday from Parcelforce, and decided to take a trip out and pick it up same day. Glad to have it here, finally, especially after the unfortunate mix up at Fusion 👍

• Like 2

20 hours ago, futureworks said:

Back in stock at Tamico, but at a hefty price - €420

I paid 221.84 euros (actualy 504.19 euros) without shipping on august !!! :wacko:

2 hours ago, futureworks said:

Yup, I got a letter yesterday from Parcelforce, and decided to take a trip out and pick it up same day. Glad to have it here, finally, especially after the unfortunate mix up at Fusion 👍

Yes!  My tracking info said that Parcel Force were sending me a letter with directions on how to pay the duty.  Decided to short circuit the process and just phoned them - managed to get a payment reference number which then allowed me to pay online.  Different experience to DHL who just deliver the item straight away and then send you an invoice 2 weeks later for payment of duty and fees.

21 minutes ago, marcod13 said:

They have arrived in Canada! 

Excellent news! B)  Edit: love the bit on the side of the box giving a bit of the history of the 1:1.

11 hours ago, Zealot said:

Just got some (hopefully) good news from the store I ordered my 45th through, Metro Hobbies.

They tell me they have spoken to the Australian distributor who told them to expect enough kits to fulfill quite a few pre-orders, however the shipment has been divided into two. Apparently, I was one of the first to pre-order so they tell me I will get mine in the first drop. One can only hope the promised numbers are actually supplied.

I'm not game to get my hopes up just yet, but it seems word of the debacle we had here with the TF EVO may have gotten back to someone who matters enough to make sure it didn't happen again.

Hopefully.

No, it’s  happening again, but this time with the BH WO, apparently the numbers ordered by SMS were way too low for the demand, but the 45th numbers were adequate. Time will tell I guess. Did Metro give a timeframe?

A good news/bad news kind of morning.  Good news: it's arrived!  :D  Bad news: there's a dent and tear to one corner of the box. :(  With zero protective packaging inside the shipping carton, it's hardly surprising.  Any advice gratefully received.

20211209_114427.jpg

20211209_114211.jpg

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, futureworks said:

Which retailer did it come from?

Modellbau Berlinski. Emailed them straight away and they responded within 8 minutes saying they can only offer a return and a refund, on the basis the item is completely sold out.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, middleagedgrup said:

Modellbau Berlinski. Emailed them straight away and they responded within 8 minutes saying they can only offer a return and a refund, on the that basis the item is completely sold out.

Understandably disappointing, as usually a same size outer carton is pretty good at protecting a kit.

1 hour ago, middleagedgrup said:

Modellbau Berlinski. Emailed them straight away and they responded within 8 minutes saying they can only offer a return and a refund, on the that basis the item is completely sold out.

That sucks. But on a brighter note, not everyone is going to get one, and you did :) . I'm beginning to think I pre-ordered too late. I'd take one with a bit of damage if that's what was delivered, although a price adjustment should have been given (20% at least).

You could try and pre-order another one and see how your luck goes. If it goes well, then sell that one (for a bit of a profit) with a bit of box damage. 

• Thanks 1

It always bumps me out when a brand new kit arrived with box damage, especially with these limited edition kits. I'm in the US and Horizon/Tower is my main go-to source as they usually have the best price after discounts/rewards points. I do have an issue with their packaging though. The empty spaces in the carton were stuffed with paper that helped prevent the content from moving around. However, not all corners were protected. My Super Clodbuster Black edition arrived with one crushed corner. :(  It's totally preventable if they had padded all corners.

Yes, I am disappointed which I'm sure you can imagine: none of us like opening up a long-awaited parcel only to discover that the contents are damaged and there's no prospect of replacement.  Even more galling when you consider it's a limited edition and a simple bit of padding could have prevented it...  But, as @tamiya_1971 says, I've been fortunate enough in the first place to get hold of one.  And, let's face it, it's not really that much of a problem in the wider context of what goes on in the world.  Let's be thankful for what we have and enjoy it, right? :)

• Like 3