Sign in to follow this  
Alex97

Alex's RWD M05 Porsche Carrera RSR

Many years ago I had a M03 and ran it as a rally mini, it was great fun. I fancied some that wasn't mega expensive but still good fun and had good part support. Long story short I found a German shop selling the rolling chassis for €50, with shipping it £55 so a pretty good price. It arrived within a few days and I didn't get hit with any tax (not sure if I'm under the tax limit).

Originally I was going to build another mini but fancied something different this time. Years ago HPI sold a range of m chassis shells that were pretty good. This the round I fancy a however they are RWD, yes I could have got the M06 however the motor hangs over the back quite a bit and I read that this can have adverse effects to the handling. I knew with the M03 it was a simple job to make it RWD however it's not so easy with the M05. I've basically swapped the front a rear arms and hubs around, flipped the servo around and I was pretty much there. I needed to make up two steering links and order the adjust camber links but other than that's it's pretty straight forward. The was built box stock other than I fitted some 55mm oil shocks and bearings. 

(Not sure why the photos are sideways)

20210710_165818.jpg

• Like 2

That body looks really neat on there.

Having the motor hanging out back on the M06 isn't necessarily a bad design for a RWD car on a prepped racing surface - when the M06 was new it would easily outpace the M05s at my local indoor club track, to the extent that it wasn't eligible for championship points.  However the swapped-end M05 should be nicely balanced for general driving.  It looks similar to the M04, which wasn't the best-handling car in the world but was fun on a loose surface.

It would be interesting to see how it fares against regular M05s and M06s on various race surfaces.

The only main drawback IMO is having to find motors that run zero timing, or can be run reverse-timed.

Great work :)

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

That body looks really neat on there.

Having the motor hanging out back on the M06 isn't necessarily a bad design for a RWD car on a prepped racing surface - when the M06 was new it would easily outpace the M05s at my local indoor club track, to the extent that it wasn't eligible for championship points.  However the swapped-end M05 should be nicely balanced for general driving.  It looks similar to the M04, which wasn't the best-handling car in the world but was fun on a loose surface.

It would be interesting to see how it fares against regular M05s and M06s on various race surfaces.

The only main drawback IMO is having to find motors that run zero timing, or can be run reverse-timed.

Great work :)

Currently it's brushed so that isn't a issue. 

I'm just waiting for the magnetic body mounts to arrive then it will be ready for its first test. 

• Like 1