ernieks

TA-02S/SW rear arms suiting the 230mm wheelbase

With the upcoming 45th anniversary model and all other Porsche 934 on the TA-02SW in my collection I just try to find a solution for the wheelbase problem.

As I have no 3D printer and not very good in shortening the prop shaft, is anybody able to design the rear arms (or maybe front and rear arms each 3mm shorter) to achieve the shorter wheelbase on the TA-02 and share them via Shapeways?

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you all.

ernieks

Do you not fancy getting the shorter carbon chassis plates from maxspeed on ebay?

The shorter driveshaft i made for mine was really easy. I didnt have a dremel to alter the drive cups so I cut off the ends off the prop shaft and soldered them into a length of brass tube. I polished it and it looks really smart. I would be happy to make another and post it to you if you covered the cost of the prop shaft.

• Like 1

Shortening the prop shaft is really easy.  I used a press to make the flat further up the shaft and then cut 6mm off.  The metal of the prop shaft is pretty soft and could be flattened in a vice or with a hammer on an anvil. 

Whilst the alternative chassis and shorter prop is a good solution it's relatively expensive. Modified arms would be a good alternative solution to have available.

As I would like to keep the FRP chassis the shorter arms would be my best solution, even they seem not that expensive as the carbon chassis.

@Superluminal

Do you have pictures of your shaft please?

I would need 4 of them to be honest, because I got the Jägermeister, the Black Porsche and the Tamico Vaillant Edition, and will buy the white Vaillant too. So even more expensive to buy 4 sets of carbon plates though.

Thank you all.

ernieks

@ernieks What is the situation with the TA02 arms? I have done some FF01 arms which have 2mm of wheelbase adjustment. If I knew what the offset of the inner pivot to the outer pivot longitudinally was I could adapt those very easily. I don't have a TA02S to measure.

The wheelbase of the TA-02SW chassis is 236mm, whereas the body is 230mm, which is even worse when using the threaded tires which are larger diameter than the slicks.

So, the arms need to move 6mm together, maybe 6mm forward on the rear arms (don't know if driveshaft binding will be a problem) or the front arms 3mm backwards and the rear arms 3mm forward, but which means all 4 arms need to be redesigned.

I am no good at using dremel and the shorter chassis plates are expensive when needed for 4 cars, and I have no 3D printer.

But I had several times the gret luck somebody allready designed what I needed and I could buy it via Shepeways.

ernieks

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:57 AM, ernieks said:

@Superluminal

Yes, indeed I do.

20210724_142959.jpg

• Like 1

I just had a look at my TA02SW and there's no way the rear arms can give you a 3mm (let alone 6mm) reduction in wheelbase, the UJ's are already swept severely forward (to create the 'S'hort wheelbase). The fronts don't look like they can be moved rearward without having to reinvent the entire steering system. Unfortunately, I don't think different arms are viable. :(

I wonder if trimming the wheel arches a little different and repositioning the body posts could reduce the 6mm difference to 'acceptable' (~3mm)?

Edit: looks like I am mistaken, I just found this: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=129718&id=9813

Edit #2: It's been done... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4202335

Wow, that is great! Thank you very much, I did not find this.

Anybody able to offer these via Shapeways?

I have no idea how to get these arms otherwise. And I really have no clue of the whole 3D printing thing.

ernieks

When this model first came out people were exploring different fixes.  you compromise strength trying to adjust the arms to give you the 6mm.  The easiest way is the Maxspeede 230mm chassis and modifying your prop shaft.  Below 236 on the left and 230 on the right 

img34_872021102753_7.jpg

img34_872021102753_10.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 5:41 PM, Shodog said:

Shortening the prop shaft is really easy.  I used a press to make the flat further up the shaft and then cut 6mm off.  The metal of the prop shaft is pretty soft and could be flattened in a vice or with a hammer on an anvil. 

Have Tamiya used different metals for the axle? A friend of mine tried to press my axle yesterday, applied 15 tons of pressure without any luck, barely left any marks. He will try again today with heat and even more pressure.

5 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

Have Tamiya used different metals for the axle? A friend of mine tried to press my axle yesterday, applied 15 tons of pressure without any luck, barely left any marks. He will try again today with heat and even more pressure.

With apologies to @ernieks who has discounted the prop-shaft method of achieving the 230mm wheelbase, but for the benefit of @TurboRSR...

I presume you mean prop shaft, not axle? It's the prop shaft / cups that need attention

As an alternative to @Shodog's method, you can also cut one of the prop cups to enable the shaft to sit deeper into it to buy those 6mm. I am, generally, a bit of a klutz, so if I can do this I would back almost anyone else to be able to do it too! I practiced on some steel rod (readily available from ebay etc) first to get a hang of the angles and resistance before I let myself loose on the prop cups

Here is the shaft sitting on top of the cups, with the Maxpseed 230mm chassis plates. The brass collars press off the cups pretty easily in a vice using some M5 or M6 nuts as a press. 

spacer.png

Marked the cup and then used a Dremel cutting disc to make the recess in the cup 6mm deeper.

spacer.png

As you can see, I also needed to trim a bit off the end of the cup to suit the profile of the shaft and let it sit inside the cup. Again, a bit more practice with the Dremel on some steel rod, and then:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Juhunio said:

With apologies to @ernieks who has discounted the prop-shaft method of achieving the 230mm wheelbase, but for the benefit of @TurboRSR...

I presume you mean prop shaft, not axle? It's the prop shaft / cups that need attention

As an alternative to @Shodog's method, you can also cut one of the prop cups to enable the shaft to sit deeper into it to buy those 6mm. I am, generally, a bit of a klutz, so if I can do this I would back almost anyone else to be able to do it too! I practiced on some steel rod (readily available from ebay etc) first to get a hang of the angles and resistance before I let myself loose on the prop cups

Here is the shaft sitting on top of the cups, with the Maxpseed 230mm chassis plates. The brass collars press off the cups pretty easily in a vice using some M5 or M6 nuts as a press. 

Yes, I meant the prop-shaft. I have considered cutting into the joints, but wanted to try to shorten the prop-shaft first. If that doesn't work out I have a spare prop-shaft to use. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:23 AM, Juhunio said:

.......Here is the shaft sitting on top of the cups, with the Maxpseed 230mm chassis plates.......

Anyone have a link to where one can purchase this Maxspeed 230 chassis plates?   Not able to find it for some reason.

Thx....

4 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

Anyone have a link to where one can purchase this Maxspeed 230 chassis plates?   Not able to find it for some reason.

Thx....

Here you go 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-Carbon-Chassis-TOPDECK-Damper-bridges-for-Tamiya-TA-02SW-Chassis-934-230mm-/373759391689?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0

On 7/22/2021 at 8:57 AM, ernieks said:

@Superluminal

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2022 at 7:23 AM, Juhunio said:

Just got myself a Porsche and need this treatment… does anybody have an idea how to get one of these chassis? No longer around.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:06 AM, njmlondon said:

Just got myself a Porsche and need this treatment… does anybody have an idea how to get one of these chassis? No longer around.

Theres a UK seller on ebay who sells custom carbon chassis plates; Rach280485. I enquired with them whether they could reduce the length of the plates by 6mm and they said yes, all parts were made to order so not a problem - although this was back in 2019 and I ended up going with Maxspeed in the end. 

@ruebiracer didnt you have Maxspeed parts personal contact details? Wonder where he got to.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 9:06 AM, njmlondon said:

Sounds like it could be a job for Fibre-Lyte?

On 11/23/2023 at 11:09 PM, Superluminal said:

Theres a UK seller on ebay who sells custom carbon chassis plates; Rach280485. I enquired with them whether they could reduce the length of the plates by 6mm and they said yes, all parts were made to order so not a problem - although this was back in 2019 and I ended up going with Maxspeed in the end. 

@ruebiracer didnt you have Maxspeed parts personal contact details? Wonder where he got to.

Hi @Superluminal,

you´re correct. I´ve chassis no.1 and were the one to ask Maxspeed for a custom 230mm version of his std. Ta02 version. I just noticed, that his ebay shop is fully empty at the moment. Don´t know, what happened. It´s not closed yet, but I can drop him a mail!

Very sad, this was a real drop in tuning part and cheap, too.

Kind regards,

Matthias

How strange. I’ve searched for this thread and within the last hour its got going again. Anyone know where I can get a 230mm chassis?

20 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Hi @Superluminal,

you´re correct. I´ve chassis no.1 and were the one to ask Maxspeed for a custom 230mm version of his std. Ta02 version. I just noticed, that his ebay shop is fully empty at the moment. Don´t know, what happened. It´s not closed yet, but I can drop him a mail!

Very sad, this was a real drop in tuning part and cheap, too.

Kind regards,

Matthias

Last year he had an "away message" on his listings that he kept on extending. When it expired one time I ordered a set, but it was cancelled the day after. He extended it a few more times before he removed his listings. 

• Like 1